The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Converting CD to mp.3
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 4:12 am    

Is this as basic as ripping tunes from a CD and using an app to convert them to mp.3?

I would add that my Windows 10 doesn't have Windows Media Player.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 5:50 am    

I think it is that basic. WMP can do what you need, and it has a setting in "Tools" for ripping formats - just pick "mp3". I've had WMP on my Win10 PC for so long I can't remember if I did anything to get it there.

Windows 10 dropped WMP in favor of the new "Groove Music" app, undoubtedly to try to drive users to the Microsoft "store" and make Win10 more of a gift that keeps on giving - for MS. But the files for WMP remained, and users could locate the executable and install it.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/use-windows-media-player-windows-10-default-app/

Googling this just now turned up the revelation that MS released KB4046355 on Oct 3, 2017 that obliterated WMP on systems where it was installed. My WMP is still installed, and I don't see that update in my list yet. At any rate, this page also includes steps to try to get WMP reinstalled if/when it gets removed.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/insider-preview-update-kb4046355-silently-uninstalls-windows-media-player/

Last edited by Dave Potter on 13 Oct 2017 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 7:00 am    

If you don't have WMP, the free "Audiograbber" will rip to wav or MP3. I've used this for years.

http://www.audiograbber.org/

If you download it, watch out for crapware that it may want to install. Make sure you uncheck or disallow the crapware to install.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 7:45 am    

To further throw a wrench into this mess, Microsoft is in the process of disassembling Groove Music and will be eliminating it in late December.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2017 4:09 am    

Microsoft, always trying to be helpful.

Apparently my version doesn't have WMP as an optional feature to re-install.
It looks like the Audiograbber will work fine for me.

Thanks, all, for the actual technical support that Windows can't--doesn't?--give, who knows. This is a fine community.