The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tascam Track Factory bundled project studio
ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 9:06 am    

This has been out for a few months, but I just saw it yesterday.

It's an all in one dedicated and bundled PC based Cakewalk system with USB interface, mic, etc.

(12 October 2017)
NOTE: The video monitor is NOT included.
In a Youtube video for the system, the Tascam factory rep states as such.
So budget another $100-$150 for a monitor.

I think it streets for $1299. I initially though that this was kind of expensive, but when you start adding up all of the pieces it may not be.

Discuss.

http://tascam.com/product/trackfactory_project/

Last edited by ajm on 15 Oct 2017 9:30 am; edited 2 times in total

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2017 5:18 pm    

Unless your going pro I would look for something cheaper and there are lots around.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 2:16 am    

well even if you are not a PRO, this is not a bad deal.

It's everything, including the small 8 gig/ram PC. It suggest Sonar Pro, unlimited tracks, effects, midi etc. Sonar is a very nice complete package.

$1300 is really not out of line for someone who is starting from scratch. Outside of this you could easily be at $1000 or more without a pro level DAW. These pieces add up price wise rather quickly.

The key here would be compatibility of each of the "major" components, do they all function together with no difficulties. Yep we can probably save a few bucks going ala kart, but are we certain everything will mesh ? PC, Drivers, DAW, interface . These are on going discussions regardless of which recording forum we may visit.

Maybe someone figured it how ahead of the purchase ! Very Happy

My system

Pro Tools 12, $500
1-Interface , $200
1- Preamp, $250
1- mic , easily $100
1- phones, $50 or more

oh yeh..WIN 7 PC....forgot that
new load WIN 7, 10 gig of ram, two SD drives, 1 EXT drive

not sure of how much but over $500 comes to mind and this was a rebuild of an older Pentium machine.

All this just to record Waltz Across Texas with a Steel guitar ! Laughing

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 4:26 am    

I'm a Sonar user (Platinum version one step above the Professional version).

That sounds like a nice package, but you can do better. Its put together by Tascam but both Tascam and Sonar are now owned by Gibson so the reason Tascam/Sonar package.

I've got about $1K in my new (new last November) desktop DAW but its much more than the "Nuc" type PC. There are more (better) two channel USB recording interfaces than Tascam around (Focusrite comes to mind).

I'm probably biased because of my home recording system (assembled over the last 10 years) but just seems there are better for about the same total price.

My system:
Home built desktop with a Z170 motherboard, i7 6700K CPU and 16GB RAM.
Sonar Platinum DAW (Lifetime upgrade version).
MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid 8 channel recording interface unit.
Behringer X-Touch Control Surface
Focusrite ISA One mic preamp (rarely used since I got the MOTU).
Various studio condenser mic's from AKG and Audio Technica and several Shure SM57's.
JBL LSR308 studio monitors
Various studio headsets including Audio Technica, Sony, Shure

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 10:45 am    

Greg Lambert: "....something cheaper and there are lots around."

Such as?
What do you recommend?

When you add up the costs of all of the piece parts, this seems like it would be hard to beat price wise.

My only hesitations with Tascam would be my personal experience with their customer and technical support.
Or maybe I should say their non-existent non-caring support.
This is from personal experience, more than once, over the past couple of decades.

Like someone said, if you buy this pre-packaged system, a lot of the set up hassles should be taken care of. That makes it a little more attractive.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 11:27 am    

I've had good experience with https://www.sweetwater.com. They have their own studio and are very knowledgeable about recording equipment. Personally, I'd look at the Presonus packages. The Presonus DAW, "Studio One", is my favorite. Also, with Sweetwater you get free phone tech support.

BTW: I started out on the Tascam 4 track cassette Porta studio. It cost around $1500 in 1982.

RC

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 11:27 am    

Complete package without external mics { it has internal mic} Very Very Versatile with effects. Under $300. You can master with this and tweak with your computer.

Heres a Sample ;
https://soundcloud.com/c6thplayer/closer-walk-with-thee-2wav

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 12:34 pm    

That Zoom unit looks good too. This appears to be a good "all in one" recorder. The track sounds really good.

RC

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 4:16 pm    

The Zoom R8 and the Tascam system are not even remotely in the same league.

If you want a grab and go to record gigs or practices, the Zoom wins. The Tascam is meant for a set it up and leave it type studio.
The Zoom *may* also work as a controller for a DAW. (However, I have a friend who bought a Zoom 16 track recorder one time that was supposed to do this function, and he never got it to work. YMMV.)

After that, the two systems are miles apart.

There is probably no way to sync up any MIDI devices (like a drum machine) to the Zoom.
The Zoom has only 8 tracks. The Tascam system Cakewalk DAW is probably 96 if not more.
The Cakewalk has probably many more effects possibilities.
And so on........

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 4:55 pm    

ajm wrote:
The Zoom R8 and the Tascam system are not even remotely in the same league.

If you want a grab and go to record gigs or practices, the Zoom wins. The Tascam is meant for a set it up and leave it type studio.
The Zoom *may* also work as a controller for a DAW. (However, I have a friend who bought a Zoom 16 track recorder one time that was supposed to do this function, and he never got it to work. YMMV.)

After that, the two systems are miles apart.

There is probably no way to sync up any MIDI devices (like a drum machine) to the Zoom.
The Zoom has only 8 tracks. The Tascam system Cakewalk DAW is probably 96 if not more.
The Cakewalk has probably many more effects possibilities.
And so on........

You can sync with Cubase and and use Cubase as your midi input control which in turn controls the Zoom. There are no midi instruments in Zoom so they would have to originate in Cubase or what ever software your using.

If you need more available channels , go with the Zoom r16 or R24.

The Zoom is just an excellent recorder that handles everything that I want to do. If your going commercial I probably would consider something else.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 1:07 am    

Greg Lambert wrote:

You can sync with Cubase and and use Cubase as your midi input control which in turn controls the Zoom. There are no midi instruments in Zoom so they would have to originate in Cubase or what ever software your using.

The Zoom is just an excellent recorder that handles everything that I want to do. If your going commercial I probably would consider something else.

yes, everything that YOU want it to do...

the Tascam package is a DAW running on and including a PC , it's not a standalone. The Zoom R8 is a standalone.

This is not a commercial package, it's a complete PC based/DAW package. Far from commercial. And it is not meant to be portable.

There is no comparison, apples to peanuts. Not even related. I have a $49 Tascam recorder with USB , should we compare that as well ?

Why are we comparing a standalone to a DAW package ? Other than price.

The $1300 price tag is for a DAW, a PC, interface, mic , phones etc... It's an all inclusive package. You don't need to sync it to anything or add anything.

thats the point of it ! Plus it is pre-loaded and has some sort of a WIN 10 op system.

This really is the future for entering the DAW world and it is no surprise that Tascam is leading the way. Expect others to follow.

If we are going to sync the R8 to Cubase or any other DAW, well now add a DAW, a PC, an audio in/out , an interface , possibly a preamp etc...plus knowing all the ins and outs with no difficulties. It's not cut and dry and not everyone wants to deal with the external processes.

it's no longer the price of just the R8 , as nice as those small units are.

Apples to Peanuts.

One thing that is well recognized , once we step up to PC based recording with a DAW, we don't go back to a Standalone. We probably all cut our teeth on small recorders, reel to reel, cassette, digital stand-alones, no doubt. But once all of your projects begin in the PC world (or MAC) it's no longer just about the recording process. Additionally, a DAW such as Sonar , where you can edit in real time , see everything at the same time, mess with each track at the same time visually etc... as you go, even for simple home projects, it just elevated your game. DAWs are a game changer for recording , even if it's sitting and recording yourself with 1 mic and a guitar.

Attempting to argue the case that an R8 is a better deal @ $399 than this complete DAW package @ $1300 doesn't hold water. The two are not related. If people want an R8 they will get one , if they want a DAW , they won't get one.

IF we are asking which is the best standalone for the money, then I would agree the R8 or the R16 are excellent for the money, maybe even the best. I own an R16. Have not used it in years but still have it...won't part with it. It has it's place should I ever need it.

Last edited by Tony Prior on 7 Dec 2017 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 1:28 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
I'm a Sonar user (Platinum version one step above the Professional version).

That sounds like a nice package, but you can do better. Its put together by Tascam but both Tascam and Sonar are now owned by Gibson so the reason Tascam/Sonar package.

I've got about $1K in my new (new last November) desktop DAW but its much more than the "Nuc" type PC. There are more (better) two channel USB recording interfaces than Tascam around (Focusrite comes to mind).

I'm probably biased because of my home recording system (assembled over the last 10 years) but just seems there are better for about the same total price.

Jack, It's an entry level all inclusive system . It's priced so a person does not have to SEEK the pieces ala-kart. The Sonar included however does not appear to be a lessor package by it's description. Sure it may be priced a tad high if an experienced person were to buy the components individually. But what is the price for convenience ? The market will determine success or failure here. I imagine at some point these total packages will end up in the under a grand category.

It's a pre-loaded system which hopefully implies that somewhere down the road Tascam did it's homework with any and all compatibility issues. The buyer doesn't have to deal with loading software, drivers,etc, which we all know is the fun part of putting a system together !

Probably not fair for you or I, or others that have years invested in a home studio to make any comparisons to this package. I have stopped counting $$$ years ago ! Very Happy

And I'm still not done ! Laughing

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 2:17 am    

Tony, there are several steps (levels) of Sonar. Platinum is the top level package. From comments on the Sonar forum probably most are using the Platinum version.

There are four levels of Sonar
Home Studio (entry level) ($49)
Artist ($99)
Professional ($199)
Platinum ($499)

I agree, a standalone recorder is not the same as a computer based "DAW" system. Apples and Oranges

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 5:18 am    

Greg, What tweaking do you do in the computer? I really like the sound on your recording. Thanks, Norm

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 12:08 pm    

Gregs track indeed sounds good, what he means by tweaking is standard mixing protocol, EQ, pan balance , track level balance ,effects processing etc, which is all contained in a reasonably nice DAW where you can visually see it all and make changes in real time.

Although I don't feel the comparison of the R8 to a DAW is good , I am a big fan of Zoom recorders.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 2:33 pm    

Norman Evans wrote:
Greg, What tweaking do you do in the computer? I really like the sound on your recording. Thanks, Norm

After I mastered it with the Zoom , I loaded the track in Adobe Audition , increased the level of the mix and added a little bit of a limiter.

What you heard was an MP3 converted from the original WAV file.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 2:41 pm    

Tony Prior wrote:
Greg Lambert wrote:

yes, everything that what YOU want it to do...

the Tascam package is a DAW running on and including a PC , it's not a standalone. The Zoom R8 is a standalone.

This is not a commercial package, it's a complete PC based/DAW package. Far from commercial. And it is not meant to be portable.

There is no comparison, apples to peanuts. Not even related. I have a $49 Tascam recorder with USB , should we compare that as well ?

Why are we comparing a standalone to a DAW package ? Other than price.

The $1300 price tag is for a DAW, a PC, interface, mic , phones etc... It's an all inclusive package. You don't need to sync it to anything or add anything.

thats the point of it ! Plus it is pre-loaded and has some sort of a WIN 10 op system.

This really is the future for entering the DAW world and it is no surprise that Tascam is leading the way. Expect others to follow.

If we are going to sync the R8 to Cubase or any other DAW, well now add a DAW, a PC, an audio in/out , an interface , possibly a preamp etc...plus knowing all the ins and outs with no difficulties. It's not cut and dry and not everyone wants to deal with the external processes.

it's no longer the price of just the R8 , as nice as those small units are.

Apples to Peanuts.

One thing that is well recognized , once we step up to PC based recording with a DAW, we don't go back to a Standalone. We probably all cut our teeth on small recorders, reel to reel, cassette, digital stand-alones, no doubt. But once all of your projects begin in the PC world (or MAC) it's no longer just about the recording process. Additionally, a DAW such as Sonar , where you can edit in real time , see everything at the same time, mess with each track at the same time visually etc... as you go, even for simple home projects, it just elevated your game. DAWs are a game changer for recording , even if it's sitting and recording yourself with 1 mic and a guitar.

Attempting to argue the case that an R8 is a better deal @ $399 than this complete DAW package @ $1300 doesn't hold water. The two are not related. If people want an R8 they will get one , if they want a DAW , they won't get one.

IF we are asking which is the best standalone for the money, then I would agree the R8 or the R16 are excellent for the money, maybe even the best. I own an R16. Have not used it in years but still have it...won't part with it. It has it's place should I ever need it.

Tony your absolutely correct in you analysis. Not knowing what the OP was looking for or the price range he was looking for , I just threw that out there for consideration. If I can cut a song without a lot of edits I just prefer the Zoom due to the ease of use.

A computer based recording studio has a lot more to offer for sure. I know this because I have used one for years and still do on occasion.

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 2:57 pm    

Thanks Greg.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2017 1:21 am    

thanks Greg, nice track by the way , very clean, clear recording. Very Happy

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2017 1:17 pm    

I edited my original post to clear something up.

The video monitor is NOT included.