Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Leg Muscle Cramps
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2017 2:11 pm    

Here is a link to an old discussion.

Click Here

I was wondering if anyone had any new information to add.

On more than one occasion I have been hit by a bad cramp in the calf muscle of my left leg...on the bandstand. Sometimes the cramp is bad enough to prevent me from using the pedals.

Any new miracle products out there these days?

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2017 2:34 pm    

For night time leg cramps a spoon full of mustard has worked for me,,,100% of the time. I have had cramp so bad I could not get down the stairs,,,wife brought mustard and it was almost immediate! I now keep the little restaurant packet handy upstairs.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2017 4:51 pm    

While I am not (quite) an NFL-caliber running back (not these days*, at least), or walking-back, not even a prancing- or tiptoeing-back - I found a rather mystifying cure for muscle cramps, at least the ones you can kinda feel coming on - DRINK WATER. You may be such a simple thing as dehydrated. The older I get, the more I have to do these bone-headed simple-minded things correctly. &, I identified the culprit as COFFEE. Not so much as a sole villain, as much as once I drink that 3rd-4th cup and start having to pee and prevent that by NOT drinking too much water, thereby not drinking ENOUGH water, thereby cramping, especially (maybe?) if I'm having a fight with allergies? It's a real quick, working fix - just a big glass of WATER. I woulda sworn the operating manual said this stuff was supposed to get EASIER as I age, but I can't seem to find that page anymore.

*(or any other days neether, hmmm)

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2017 5:07 pm    

Regular stretching should help with tight muscles. The calf muscles are usually the tightest ones. Cramping muscles can also indicate a mineral deficiency, such as potassium, calcium, and magnesium.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2017 5:59 pm    

Had a period where I was having cramps in my left lateral shin and foot when I played a my Zum D-10. I finally figured out that the pedal action was so light due to the helper springs, that I was keeping my foot perched above the pedals instead of resting it on the pedals like I do on my Emmons. It caused muscle fatigue & cramping. After I removed the helper springs, the problem subsided.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2017 6:46 pm    

David Mason wrote:
DRINK WATER. You may be such a simple thing as dehydrated.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2017 7:37 pm    

I think shortage of water is a big part of cramps. I sweat very bad and if I don't make sure and drank plenty of water I will have those middle of the night cramps. Also lack of minerals. I found Sonny's take on Mustard interesting. A big gulp of Pickle Juice does well also but like mustard it is kinda hard to do! J.R.

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2017 7:37 am    

My wife told me that too much salt on food will cause leg cramps. I have cut down on the salt, and haven't had a leg cramp since.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2017 8:56 am    

I learned by accident that leg calf cramps can be eased quickly by pointing my toes and feet up. The normal reaction is to point feet down and that makes the pain worse. I started pointing my feet towards my knees and the pain lessened almost immediately. Drinking water helps a lot also. I don't even like mustard so I'll leave that for others.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2017 9:20 am    

Ben Lawson wrote:
I learned by accident that leg calf cramps can be eased quickly by pointing my toes and feet up. The normal reaction is to point feet down and that makes the pain worse. I started pointing my feet towards my knees and the pain lessened almost immediately. Drinking water helps a lot also. I don't even like mustard so I'll leave that for others.

Interesting. I'm the opposite. If I'm laying in bed and stretch, if my toes are pointing upward, I get cramps in my calves. I make sure my toes point down to prevent cramps. I have been known to get them in both legs. That's a real bummer. Since I sleep almost on the edge of the bed, I have had them knock me out if bed.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2017 1:09 pm    

https://www.webmd.com/first-aid/calf-stretch

Here you go. These are what I instruct patients to do in my medical practice. Gently stretching the involved muscles in the direction opposite to the cramp is what is needed. (Note:Emphasis = GENTLY, to avoid calf muscle injury)

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2017 1:34 pm    

Thanks for posting that link, Lee.

After I turned 60 all hell broke loose: shingles, double vision, fasciculations, statins, arthritis and crippling cramps at night. For about 2 months, it was Freddy Krueger time - I was afraid to fall asleep because cramps in my calves and thighs would cause me to literally leap out of the bed from a deep sleep. I never knew when one or both my thighs would simultaneously seize up. The neurologist was concerned I might have Lou Gehrig's disease so he me up with an EMG test.

The EMG was like something out of a James Bond novel. For 2 hours the guy sent electric shocks of varying intensity up one leg and down the other. I left feeling like a wet dishrag. No cure but no Lou Gehrig's either. They've gradually faded away - no idea why but I'm extremely grateful.

I've never been old before but I suspect things aren't going to get easier from here on out. I would never have believed all this 40 years ago. And I always wondered why Grampa was so grumpy all the time ...

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2017 2:33 pm    

Quinine sulfate ,5mg is a commonly used medicinal compound for any muscle cramp and associated spasms. Used to be a Rx I think it's OTC now, it's the "active" component of Legatrin(?)sp. What ever that OTC leg cramp med u can find at most any drugstore.I think the OTC dosage is 2.5mg per dose so u probably should take 2.Handy to have around for the occasional killer cramp.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2017 9:22 pm    

I have a big problem with leg cramps. Got pretty bad. Epsom salt baths are great for getting to sleep. But doing yoga or tai chi cures it. If you can deal with the goofy self affirmations and annoying "spiritual but not religious" garbage yoga classes might do the trick.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 5:51 am    

The spoonful of mustard is virtually immediate and has worked every time for me and everyone I know who has tried it. Is really not that bad,,,IF you have leg cramps that just keep getting tighter and tighter. If anyone tries it and it DOESN"T work,,,,I'd like to know it.

Tommy Alexander

Friendswood, Texas 77546
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 6:49 am     Leg Cramps

I had leg cramps for years and they hurt! My sister had the same thing and she gave me what to do.
Go to Walgreen's and find a thing called Hyland's
Leg Cramps; come's 40 tablets and not expensive.
I took two and have not have one so far! Check it out; you might be pleased.
Walmart has them also...........

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 7:20 am    

Yes Hylands does work pretty well as it contains cinchona bark which has been a main source of quinine for hundreds of years.This is the way around the fact that the FDA banned quinine sulfate for leg cramps in 1994, Drs can't even prescribe it, oh except for 1 specific brand which retails for 4$ plus per tablet! Sound familiar?

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 7:56 am    

Storm Rosson wrote:
Yes Hylands does work pretty well as it contains cinchona bark which has been a main source of quinine for hundreds of years.This is the way around the fact that the FDA banned quinine sulfate for leg cramps in 1994, Drs can't even prescribe it, oh except for 1 specific brand which retails for 4$ plus per tablet! Sound familiar?

FYI: Quinine is a similar in structure to Quinidine, a cardiac medication. Quinine was banned by the FDA for teatment of leg cramps because it of its potential to cause life-threatening cardiac and blood conditions. It is now only prescribed for Malarial treatment, as the morbidity associated with the disease is considered more more likely then that due to the side efffects of the medication. The risk of its cadiac and blood compications are considered to be too high when compared to the discomfort of leg cramps.

It is also associated with cinchinism (headaches, vomiting deafness, blidness and more)

Just sayin ................

Jack Hargraves

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 10:37 am    

I have been experiencing muscle cramps for several years, usually after exercising, or even playing my steel for a while. I found that #1, drink plenty of water. #2, every day, drink at least 6 ounces of tonic water. I,m diabetic so I get the sugar free kind. The quinine in the tonic water is what stops the cramps. After you do this for a few days you will notice an improvement. Now tonic water is bitter, so I mix in a little real lemon and a tsp.of sweetener. Not a bad drink.

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 12:29 pm    

Here's how I solve late night leg cramps.
Pickle Juice
Gator Aid (warm)
Pointing Toes in the up position
Biting your upper lip (hurts a little)
Very hot water bottle ( this takes a few minutes)
Very hot shower.

Usually I get my leg cramps late Saturday night while sleeping in my bed.

CAUSE:
I cycle 17 miles early Saturday morning, then it's off to yard work in the hot Florida sun for about 2 hours. This has been a routine of mine for years.

Dehydration is one cause the other could be over exertion of my leg muscles due to cycling and heavy yard work.

A few years back there was an roll-on ointment called "911 Leg Cramp" at Walgreens which cost about $12 per bottle ( about 2 oz). You got about 5-6 treatments from each bottle. Once you rolled it over the area where you had the pain in the muscle it took about 20 seconds to work and did it work fast this was the best solution I found for leg cramps.

BUT.........they took it off the market and it's no longer available.
This stuff did the trick for me, relieved the pain very fast.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 6:36 pm    

Cramps are caused by muscle fatigue and/or mineral imbalance. Muscles can be trained to handle bigger loads, and a trip to the doctor for blood work will handle the science. That's if you are in otherwise good health and drinking a sensible amount of fluids.

What works for one person may not work for another because the cause of the problem may not be the same.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 8:45 pm    

Quote:
I've never been old before but I suspect things aren't going to get easier from here on out.

This is deeper than it sounds for me at least, because: I VERY often don't do the things a getting-old person ought to do, thereby "proving" that I'm not gonna let age affect me, not like those OLD people do. Um, duh. I mention allergies because there are a few seasonal things that can really zoink me; like in the springtime, once every few years, the TREES JIZZ STICKY... YELLOW TREE JIZZ ALL OVER THE PLACE. Very indiscreet, if you ask me. You can SEE exactly how romantic the trees are feeling, because it's all over your car. And the pollen works on a threshold basis, if it builds to a certain level I just go BLOOEY.

And the super-cure, indispensable, magic dope is Benadryl, generic diphenyl-something-or-other. IT WORKS GREAT. Except it totally screws up water... retention? or something, I don't know where it goes but I have to drink like three BIG glasses of water instead of one, drink water WAY past a comfort zone. I don't know the medicality of it, it just IS. Like Benadryl MAKES cramps, and you have to go all extra-effort n'stuff. Almost like those pathetic old people... Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

Buddie Hrabal

Arlington,Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 4:18 am     Tonic Water

Tonic water works for me. It has Qunine in it and it is in a fast absorbing liquid. Two fold: Quinine for the cramps and water for the dehydration. Try It!

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 11:46 am    

Made a mistake the, 911 Leg Cramp relief solution which I purchased at Walgreens some years ago was not an ointment cream, it was in the form of a yellowish-gold roll-on liquid.
Within 20-30 seconds it did it's magic regarding leg muscle cramps.

Ron Bryson

Bonifay, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2017 6:25 am    

I too thought my leg cramps were the result of some organic imbalance. I'm at home recovering from the third round of life threatening aneurysm surgeries since Feb. 2017. First two were aortic, and third was popliteal behind my knee. DO NOT ASSUME THAT IT IS NOTHING.