The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What do you consider the top 5 (or 10) best pedal steels?
Richard Shelley

Denver, CO, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 8:54 pm    

Most everyone on this forum is likely to be more experienced than me, so I'm wondering what your so many years & decades of experience have shown the best to be. In my very limited experience my personal favorites have been, in descending order: GFI, BMI, Sierra, Remington & Carter. Whaddaya think? Should Fessenden be up there? or MSA? or...........?

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 9:51 pm    

Kline!
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 10:00 pm    

The best-sounding PSG I have test-played, was an Excel.

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 3:29 am    

Mullen all the way.

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 4:10 am    

One guys opinion after owning quite a few. This is based on tone and playability. The only guitar I have ever owned with zero issues even small issues is the Infinity.

Infinity
Franklin
JCH
Emmons Push Pull
Emmons Legrandes

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 4:59 am    

Until 7 or 8 years ago the only steels I owned were Emmons P/Ps. I got an MSA Classic for practice but depending on amp settings it sounds good on lows or on highs. No happy middle. Nice guitar but after getting used to the Emmons sound I don't use it out on gigs.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 8:12 am    

Just my take: of guitars I have played.

Emmons push pulls
Emmons Legrands
The new MSA Legend
Fessenden
Zum Hybrid

This is just the guitars I have played, never played some of other major brands like Infinity, Franklin, Kline, so I'm sure they would fit somewhere in list.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 1:11 pm    

I can't say what the best Steels are. I've played 3 brands on regular duty over my entire journey since the mid 70's, gigs and sessions. 4 different Sho Buds, 2x Pro III's 1 Professional, 1 Pro I, 3 different Carters D10's and 4 different D10 Emmons guitars. I play different on each. IF there is any negative it would be the Carter underside has very small parts,but if you never change the setup then it's not an issue, the three I owned played great. One was the only Steel I owned for nearly 10 years , countless gigs. Currently playing Emmons Steels, 1 PP and 1 L-II, different tones, different feel, I hear different tones from the Instruments so I play different. I could easily play on each of the above mentioned again full time with no worries . They are all great instruments to me ! Smile

Many of us will say that brand X has better action or stays in tune better than brand Y, or Z. But to me, my take, the best instrument is the one that your ears connect with and allows you to work within it's timbre, it could take 3 or 4 of the same brand to find that.

When I go out, I'm just happy to see any Steel guitar in a band , because at that particular time, thats the best one ! Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 2:40 pm    

Out of the three guitars I've owned/played, I've got to say my Jackson is my best and favorite steel. It's my main guitar. Before the Jackson, I played Emmons and GFI, but I love everything about the Jackson-looks, tone, playability, sound, pedal action,and sustain. The Emmons and GFI are wonderful guitars too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 2:54 pm    

I've played quite a few steels, some good, some not so good, but, I have to say that my U-12 ZumSteel is the best I've ever played. I've played it through a FSK, PV 400,1000, Cube 80 and a Stereo Steel. It sounds great through all the amps. However, I just recently played a Rains and it played well and sounded good too. But, I'm prejudiced to my Zum!

Greg Thompson

Taumarunui, New Zealand
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 5:41 pm    

ZUM

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 5:56 pm    

I'm assuming when you asked what are the best, you are referring to sound, so here is my experience with the best sounding steels:

1. Emmons Push-pull
2. Zumsteel
3. MSA Classic XL Supersustain
4. Mullen
5. LeGrande

Others that I am not familiar with, but that sound great are:

Franklin
JCH
Any other aluminum neck guitar

Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 6:14 pm    

I have often read Sierra was such a great Guitar yet no mention of Sierra , im puzzled

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 6:26 pm    

Russell Adkins wrote:
I have often read Sierra was such a great Guitar yet no mention of Sierra , im puzzled

Never heard a Sierra whose tone I liked, although they are built like the space shuttle.

Dan Klotz

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 11:31 pm    

I haven't owned as many guitars as a lot players here, but I love my Rittenberry's.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 12:19 am    

I take the question , which is the best , to imply all factors, not just tone.

regarding tone:

If we put 100 people in the same room, blindfolded, and had them listen to ONE player playing 10 different Steel guitars thru the same amp, my guess would be at best 10 people may possibly pick the SAME guitar (1) while the other 9 guitars and the other 90 people would be all over the map. It would be fun though ! Smile

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 12:39 am    

Desert Rose
Justice
GFI
Infinity
Sho-Pro
Mullen
Of the guitars that I've played!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2017 6:09 am    

Guitars I have owned and/or played that I really liked the way they played and build quality but not necessarily how they sounded was Mullen, Fessenden, Rains, Emmons LeGrande, MCI, EMCI, BMI, ZumSteel, Franklin, older MSA's and a rebuilt Emmons Push Pull by Bryan Adams that had 10 polished knee levers.

Pedal Steels that I've owned and played that sounded incredible but felt like I was in a fight all night long with was Sho-Bud (About 12 different models) and a couple of ZB Customs. I guess playability and tone can't be built into one particular guitar. Maybe it's all that work it takes to play it that gives it it's tone kinda like playing a punchy sounding upright bass compared to the easy playing electric bass. I would say the EMCI pedal steel came the closest on everything for me but you can't put split tuners on them because of the way the changer housing is built. I have not tried the newer stuff like Show Pro, New MSA's, new Sierra, etc. but would like too. Never played or even heard an Anapeg in person.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2017 7:19 am    

Rich Upright wrote:
Russell Adkins wrote:

Never heard a Sierra whose tone I liked, although they are built like the space shuttle.

Me either.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2017 9:48 am    

I got to watch Joe Wright a few years ago just killing it on a Sierra guitar,He got the most beautiful tone,I'm sure a large part was Joe but it was something else!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2017 2:57 pm    

Franklin

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2017 5:42 pm    

Depends what you mean by best. In terms of build quality, I don't think you can beat the Emmons p/p, Franklin, ZumSteel, Mullen, Williams, Schild, Sierra, new gen and back as far as Olympic to my experience. Built like a tank with exacting tolerances.

In the 90's, lots of people played Sierra such as Emmons, Ron Elliott, Herby Wallace, Gene O'Neal et. al.
There are some clips on YT of these guitars being played.

In terms of Sierra tone, I can't see how anyone could not like this. https://youtu.be/J5Mx5lhreMY to address a couple comments, but I digress.

MSA also has a reputation for solid instruments all through their history. A friend of mine has a Legend and it's as good a guitar as you'll ever find and better engineered and built than some.

Eddie Fulawka's guitars were masterpieces as well.

I don't know enough about some of the more recent builds to comment on them.

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2017 12:39 pm    

In no particular order but my personal favorites. I have owned and played all but Show Pro. I did order one but was forced to cancel due to financial circumstances.
Sho-Bud Permanent and Pro II
Emmons
Zumsteel
MSA Legend and Millinnium
Show Pro

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2017 1:33 pm    

MSA

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2017 9:08 am