The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Touch and Volume
Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 5:59 am    

I don't know if my approach needs to change or if I just need more time with it. But my volume control isn't the best.

I've been cranking my Nashville 400 and just using very little volume pedal so I have a lot of sustain on tap. My pedal is a low profile Goodrich L-120. I don't play with a real hard touch.

What happens is sometime I slip with the volume pedal and get way too loud. I'm good for 2 or 3 bad volume spikes a night. Some band members complain they can't hear me sometimes. I'm thinking I should try to attack the strings harder and bring my amp volume down some and not worry about have so much sustain on tap. .... I don't know. Maybe a compressor would help? ... Maybe a higher profile volume pedal would give me more travel distance?

Last edited by Ed Boyd on 27 Sep 2017 7:44 am; edited 2 times in total

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 6:58 am    

Sounds like you just need practice with a focus on VP control and picking consistency. Maybe tweak the amp volume a bit, but PSG needs plenty of volume headroom to get the sustain.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 9:11 am    

You DO NOT need a compressor. Learn to pick harder. Then you can control some of the volume by picking harder AND softer. The compressor will stifle your learning and (in my opinion) ruin your live sound by trying to keep the volume constant. No dynamics happening there.

If you want to use it for sustain, bad move. The reason we use high powered amps is to have the head room to be able to use our volume pedal to keep the notes sustaining. You will need to have good control of your volume pedal.

Allan Haley

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 6:40 pm    

I'm a newby as well, and my VP skills are not great.

I've been turning the amp up nice and loud and keeping the VP at about 70%. My VP control has been getting better month after month, but I still often play too low in the mix or get all worked up and blast the odd note out at full volume.

It's not a gas pedal.

A compressor is not the answer, but a crutch that really doesn't help with the underlying skill of using the VP as a very subtle and powerful tool.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 7:30 pm    

What are your Pre Gain and Post Gain settings on the Nashville 400?

Jeffery Self

Spring City,Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 7:42 pm    

Quote "It's not a gas pedal." Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Remembering Larry Self (1936-2014)

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2017 5:58 am    

Thanks Guys. This is pretty much what I expected.

I've used compressors for years because it really makes the bridge pickup on a Telecaster pop and seem to help even out my hybrid picking. I use the pinky a lot but its a little weak.

You would think my VP control would be good since I'm a Hammond organ player by trade but its different. The Goodrich has way less travel.

Thanks again.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 28 Sep 2017 7:26 am    

Allan Haley wrote:
I'm a newby as well, and my VP skills are not great.

I've been turning the amp up nice and loud and keeping the VP at about 70%. My VP control has been getting better month after month, but I still often play too low in the mix or get all worked up and blast the odd note out at full volume.

It's not a gas pedal.

A compressor is not the answer, but a crutch that really doesn't help with the underlying skill of using the VP as a very subtle and powerful tool.

Strictly my opinion, but turn your amp up a little and learn to work your volume pedal around 1/3 to 1/2 for normal playing. Then you have more room for increasing your volume for solos and stuff. Also allows more room to increase sustain.

Joe Ribaudo

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2017 1:05 pm    

This might be a part of it... (From another thread about volume pedals.)
Jim Palenscar wrote:
... The "uneven" rate at which the gain increases is a function of the audio taper of most all volume pots and is generally considered to be a desirable trait and the reason that audio taper is selected vs a linear taper for volume (as opposed to a linear taper commonly used for tone pots). If you have any question about your pot being good- send it to us and we'll check it out for you.

How I'm reading that is after a certain point, it requires less motion to increase output. Like it changes gears.

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2017 1:20 pm    

Hi Ed,

For me, I had an issue with this volume pedal. Don't get me wrong, they are awesome pedals, and everybody loves them, but for me, I couldn't use it as it was set up, out of the box. I have mainly used Ernie Ball, Dunlop, DeArmond, all the cheaper ones that really aren't suitable for steel, tone wise anyway.

Problem was, I got used to those pedals that didn't require constant feedback to keep the pedal locked in position, which is what the Goodrich requires. I replaced the axle on my Goodrich with a bolt, locking it down for a snug feel, similar to the E-ball. I know, everyone thinks I destroyed the pedal, but it is what I needed to do to make it work for me.

Last edited by Tim Russell on 28 Sep 2017 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2017 2:07 pm    

My advice would be to concentrate more on technique and less on equipment. Unless the VP is defective, you should be able to learn to work with it to get the sound you are after. You can chase the nuances of different pedals after you’ve mastered the art of operating the VP generally. Not an easy task.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2017 3:25 pm    

Try setting your pedal action. Set your amp's wide open pedal volume for as loud as you think you'll ever play with the band and then kick it up just a notch. You'll need to be just a little bit louder than you think.

This way, you can back off a bit when you need to and your wide open pedal volume won't shock anybody.

Another thing is that the old Ernie Ball side jacks volume pedals have a longer, smoother taper. They're pretty much hated around here by pedal steel players, but I use one every once in a while with decent results. The longer taper will help keep you out of trouble with these volume spikes and you can eq your gear for a suitable tone with these.

This advice probably is not very popular around here, but not everything works for everybody. You might just consider trying it.

As you progress in your curve, then you can adjust as necessary.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2017 4:05 am    

Ed Boyd wrote:

You would think my VP control would be good since I'm a Hammond organ player by trade but its different. The Goodrich has way less travel.

I'm there with ya Ed. I'm a B3 player. The expression pedal on a Hammond is a different animal altogether. It's spring loaded for one thing. And I can see where nailing the high "C" on a Ham is not the same pedal travel as a regular volume pedal.

Maybe a pedal with a different pivot point might help out.

But what that might be I don't know.

I have the Goodrich (spacetape) and an old Fender left/right pedal but have yet to hook them up as I'm still figuring out the grabs and the fretboard to be getting fancy with a volume pedal.

But yes it's customary to stab the expression pedal on a Hammond while playing lead lines as well.

Hammonnd B3 expression (volume) pedal. No this is not my rig...needs a vacuum.

Expression pedal spring keeps a balance tension on the pedal. (C2 not a B3 interior)

These might work. They look like there's more travel.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2017 4:52 am    

I don't think it's a matter of travel. Like Richard said above, set your amp volume so that you are using about 1/2 the pedal travel for your normal playing. Then you will be able to back off or raise the volume as needed. You shouldn't be pumping the volume pedal all the time. Try to keep your volume even and use the pedal to add just a bit of sustain when needed. Practice!

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 29 Sep 2017 8:08 am    

I came to PSG from being a drummer. You talk about a problem with pumping the volume pedal. It was ugly, although the swells or stabs were on beat. 😂

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2017 9:23 pm    

I've heard it said, by pedal steel players, that they play in the back 1/3 of the volume pedal and keep the headroom for sustain, I've also heard, from steel players, heaven help you if you are in the room when they accidentally floor that pedal.
You may simply need to be a bit more conscientious about your foot, on gigs.
Also, it never hurts to practice with no volume pedal. I know it sounds contrary to your pariticular issue, but we can all benefit from better right hand dynamic control. Especially your band mates.
J