The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Teaching Pedal Steel *UPDATED January 4th*
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2017 12:34 pm    

Paul will this be a skype type of lesson? Any software needed on our part?

Phone: 971-219-8533

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2017 2:25 pm    

Wow great Paul can't wait.

John Coffman

Wharton,Texas USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2017 4:11 pm    

Looking forward to hearing more about this. I think this will be a good thing for all players.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 22 Sep 2017 6:55 pm    

Shazzam!!!

Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2017 5:09 am     Taking every player to the next plateau

Maybe this will give me the incentive to stop procrastinating. I have stacks and stacks of material from Jeff Newman, and have been using it for many years, but I don't seem to stick with it like I should. I'd like to see myself getting better and better each month. Thanks Paul. Waiting to hear more details. Tommy.....

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 23 Sep 2017 9:26 am     Re: Taking every player to the next plateau

Tommy Auldridge wrote:
Maybe this will give me the incentive to stop procrastinating. I have stacks and stacks of material from Jeff Newman, and have been using it for many years, but I don't seem to stick with it like I should. I'd like to see myself getting better and better each month. Thanks Paul. Waiting to hear more details. Tommy.....

Get real. You smoke on that pedal steel Tommy! ;- )

Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2017 12:00 pm    

Exciting news!

Franklin

Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 12:29 pm    

In the past, I’ve taught lessons via cassettes, CDs, DVDs, private lessons and clinics. While those are all good ways to share knowledge, they do not make it practical to follow up with students to make sure that I have covered the lesson material in a clear and concise manner and that the student has learned it completely.

I now believe that internet video technology has advanced to the point that offering a streaming online course is the best way to teach as much content as possible. Organizing the lessons into a method allows students to learn at their own pace, ask questions, and even help create new content.

Designed for all players at all levels - from beginners to working pros, The Paul Franklin Method is a university-style course drawing on my 50+ years of playing pedal steel, and is designed to teach you everything you’ll need to know to be the best you can be. We’ll launch with 90 streaming high definition, multi-camera videos and add to that content on a regular basis. There are also jam tracks, PDF transcriptions and TABs.

This course will be a living, breathing, and ongoing resource and I will be updating the contents regularly based on student requests for more examples or exercises, and any new insights I might have from my studio and live gigs. I look forward to working with you to make the course the best it can be.

My partners and I are putting the finishing touches on The Paul Franklin Method and plan to open enrollment very soon. In the meantime, we'd like to share a preview of the course. Just click on the link below to watch some clips and get more info.

Thanks so much for your interest! - Paul

The Paul Franklin Method COMING SOON!

--

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 2:15 pm    

Really looking forward to this Paul! Thanks so much!

Charley Hill

The Dirty South
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 3:48 pm    

Im ready for the unveiling. I am in, too!

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 4:14 pm    

Paul,
Looks terrific!
Hoping you'll be including some C6th studies, too.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 4:39 pm    

Hey Paul will you be covering and advanced C6 chord/theory and outside playing/licks?

Bobby Hearn

Henrietta, Tx
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 4:47 pm    

This is wonderful! Thanks Paul, looking forward to it!

Franklin

Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 8:20 pm    

Hi Everyone,

Well that was the official roll out ad....Now I can answer a few questions.

The C6th will be added in the next filming...Also Jazz Improvisation on both C6th and E9th ( Chords, Harmony, and Playing Inside Outside Lines )...How to Back vocalists will be some of the first topics we add.

This method is improvisational. I view it like a professor teaching at a university..I can design classes anywhere there is a lot of interest...

Also, In addition to the available lessons, I will be interviewing guest producers, songwriters, and other accomplished musicians. I want you to hear the other career artists speak to you about their music craft....I feel its important to showcase how and what they expect from a steel guitarist... Hopefully this type of insight will help players get the feel of what is expected from them. A glimpse into what its like to live and play in a music center could help some make their career decision.
Essentially this school will have no end...Everything is archived and you can and should review videos until a light goes on....

Also I should mention that each video can easily be slowed down without changing pitch.. The method goes everywhere you do, on your phone, iPad, desktop, or in your car listening to the videos on your way to work...

Paul

Scott Truax

Florida
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 2:57 am     PF Pedal Steel Teaching roll-out

Paul,

Just went thru the info for the roll out of your new course. Personally I think it is fantastic and will be
a huge benefit to a lot of people; Pros, weekenders,
wanna-bees, and home players. Being offered in the format
you've set up, it should be very popular with music programs in colleges as well, and, hopefully, ignite a
new popularity and interest in playing this beautiful instrument.

I wish you every success.

Best regards,
Scott Truax

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 7:09 am    

Paul I'm am so excited and thrilled at this opportunity as my private instructor is going to be down for a few months for health reasons.... I can't wait to learn from you and your method, MAKE IT MY OWN, and go back to my mentor so he can see a new player in me! I just browsed the website and I can't wait to get started!! You have chosen the beat possible way to present your method.

From ALL OF US STEELERS, from the newbies like me, to the pros who wanna pick up something new, THANK YOU PAUL FRANKLIN JR.!!!!

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 10:21 am    

I know the great teachers from past,,,Reece and Jeff and those who tried so hard to impart their skill and knowledge,,,,are smiling down on this great endeavor!!! My BIG questions,,,,When???,,,and,,,,How Much?

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 10:29 am    

I'm sure we will be able to register soon...from what I understand, it's gonna be a subscription type thing....
I expect within a week or so, we will be able to register, but maybe Paul can verif this????

Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 7:22 pm    

This will be incredible! So glad you're doing this!

B

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2017 2:51 pm    

WHEN!!!,,,is this going to happen????

(patience is NOT one of my virtues,,,LOL)

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 28 Sep 2017 3:28 pm    

I feel your pain Sonny (or should I say stress/anxiety?), but I would Paul have it right the first time than have a lot of issues because he rushed. So looking forward to this.

Roger Russell

Jane Lew ,Wv
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2017 2:50 am     PF teaching

monumental in the world of steel guitar players of any caliber

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 2:43 pm    

This is what every steeler is waiting for! Thanks, Paul!!
A question:
Is there also a lesson in where you teach us how to approach a song in the studio where steelguitar is needed? Where do you play, what do you play? How do you 'think? '

Curious.

All the best! Regards, Johan

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 6:26 pm    

Additionally, I hope that this may or could inspire a whole lot of other, aging experts to TEACH. It's entirely UN-realistic to think that your chops are permanent and stuff like cervical nerve problems, carpal tunnel, the whole shebang - they can't happen to ME... I've long known that music is an AMAZING TOOL, it can heal or at least support old people just as well as inspiring young people to find some passion in their life.

Sorry to piggyback here, but teaching is crucial, even lifesaving for some of us. Realistically, my left arm is SHOT - no more bass, no more guitar... (snif). I have to teach six-string students with me playing STEEL because it's all that's left! Thank God for that, and thank God for Paul wanting to crack open his brain and let the genie out - there's magic in music!

Anybody who ie reading this, and over 50 - just ask yourself. Can you help other players? In some way better than twanging out one more Eagles tune, one more time at the VFW Echo chamber...(?)

(Fo real - the very last four-hour-gig I did, I had to have an OPERATION to fix me back up! It's semi-funny now, but trigger fingers ain't no joke.)

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 7:28 pm    

I don't think you piggy-backed at all, Dave. The point of getting the physical mechanics of playing the instrument correctly cannot be overemphasized. Most of us want to play well in our old age and younger players can learn from how we screwed up.

Not pretending to answer for Paul Franklin here regarding Johan's question on the importance of knowing how and what and when to play and how to think about a song - I think that the concept can be taught and instilled in a player, but the actual soul and feel for music and the taste for how to use the skills one has learned is ultimately up to the player.