The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gregg Allman
John Brock

Xenia, Ohio
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 12:22 pm    

RIP..go be with Duane and Berry.....not enough words to say .

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 12:37 pm    

A very sad day. He was one of my favorites every since I saw him in the 60's. Tremendous singer and songwriter. Too many great musicians are dying off.
His "Laid Back" album is probably the #one I would want on a desert island.
Rest in peace Brother.
Lefty

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 1:44 pm    

RIP Brother Gregg......it's was Duane's slide playing that got me interested in slide guitar which then led me to dobro & lap steel......

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 2:10 pm    

As much as I love country music and pedal steel, I grew up with the ABB and spent hours playing their albums at half speed on my turntable to work on Duane and Dicky's guitar licks. Nothing like Gregg's B3 just chugging along in the background and his voice was perfect for the blues...you KNEW he'd been there. I just listened to Live at Fillmore East yesterday and converted my 20-something houseguest who had never heard them before - if there's a better live album by any band, I haven't heard it. I've seen the Brothers live many times over the years. One of the best musical memories of my life is hearing them kick off Statesboro Blues outdoors on a hot summer nite.

And Lefty, I totally agree with you - "Laid Back" is a tremendous album and I never get tired of hearing . "These Days", "Multi-Colored Lady", and "Queen of Hearts".

Rest in peace, Gregg, and thank you and the Brothers for a lifetime of music. Today marks the official end of an era Sad

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 4:17 pm    

Sad news indeed and the end of an era. I saw them play here in western MA in the early 70's. They were little known around here at the time, and the club was nearly empty. We got an up-close and personal show that night! What a memory. Rest in peace Gregg Allman.

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 29 May 2017 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 7:04 pm    

Sad news... I saw the Allmans in '71 (opening for Delaney & Bonnie), and they were just awesome. I saw him in '73 on his solo tour at the Shrine Auditorium here in LA. and seeing him do "Ain't My Cross To Bear" was - and is still - one of my favorite musical moments.
About 20 years ago I did a short tour with a singer named Mary Cutrufello, and we opened about a dozen dates for him. I watched them every night.

Another incredible talent and spirit has left us.
Rest in Peace, Greg...

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 8:03 pm    

Yeah everybody's dyin'. What's up with that? This one hits close to home. I went to Castle Heights Military Academy with Gregg and Duane way back in the early 60s and remained in contact for the rest of both of their lives. Haven't seen Gregg in a while tho. Duane is the guy who got me off surf guitar and into hardcore R&B. He taught me what a +9 chord was,what a turnaround was,who Bobby "Blue" Bland,Ray Charles,T-Bone Walker and B.B. King were and things like that back way back when we were both 16. Creds to Gregg for keeping it all going after Duane died. Those guys lived pretty hard and loose but were both good souls. Wow.

Gary Dunn

near Camel City, NC
Post  Posted 28 May 2017 4:53 am    

RIP, Gregg. Thank you for the great music you left behind!

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 28 May 2017 7:12 am    

So many great memories...so much great music..Thank you Gregg...and like many of us here..if it wasn't for Duane...RIP two amazing brothers...

Colin Keyworth

Derbyshire, England
Post  Posted 28 May 2017 9:07 am    

I've just spent the last week listening to the ABB, really sad news

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 4:01 am    

My favorite band ever, and probably my favorite vocal stylist. "Laid Back" stays on my devices. I saw Gregg live in 1973 when he was touring behind this album. He had a small orchestra, as well as Scott Boyer from the band Cowboy playing steel. The B3 was center stage, and he walked out in a white tux with tails, that long blonde hair just flowing dpwn. It was quite impresive. Sadly Jim Croce was supposed to be on that show but was killed a few days prior.

The band I was in during those college days played nearly every song in the Allman catalog. It was Gregg and Dicky Betts' use of steel guitar on their recordings that attracted me to the instrument.

Great stories here guys. Thanks for sharing. Sad news indeed. Rest in peace Brother Gregg.....

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2017 11:44 am     Central Georgia

My teenage years were just outside of Macon, Georgia and I was(as a musician)heavily influenced by the Allman Brothers Band, and still am.

I am grateful for those experiences and will never forget them. RIP Gregg.

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2017 7:55 pm    

Midnight Rider from the "Laid Back" album takes me back to a good time in my life,RIP Gregg and thanks for all the good times.

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2017 8:44 am    

I remember hearing them at DeKalb Junior College when I was in high school (senior). This was when Duane and Barry were still alive. This was certainly not the biggest or most prestigious gig they ever played.
They came out and played for 3(+) hours. It was one of the best times I saw them. You always got your money's worth with them. Some of the best live music I have ever heard. Somewhere is a friend that has a recording of that made on a Sony stereo recorder (eight track). I would like to have a bootleg of that. Sometimes the memory is the best recorder though.
Lefty

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2017 9:01 am    

Totally agree with getting your money's worth, Lefty. I always respected the ABB for never resorting to pyrotechnics, gimmicks, outfits, lip synching, pre-recorded tracks etc. What you saw was what you got...blue jeans, tee shirts, cowboy boots, and a whole lot of live music from the heart (OK an occasional "substance" or two added to the nite's spontaneity). I always thought the double drummer and solid bass playing combo gave them the tightest rhythm section in the business. Play all nite, guys Smile

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2017 4:08 pm    

And a real HAMMOND B3 with Leslie!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2017 11:49 pm    

Godspeed Gregg.
Music at a time where there was more time to do music.
LIVE AT FILLMORE EAST. 1n the '70's bar bands would cover In Memory of or Post.

The slide guitar-double drummer-B3 sound.

Royace Buehrlen

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 4:07 pm     Gregg's last album...

...I understand Gregg's last album, Southern Blood, will be out in September, may even be out by now!

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 11:36 pm    

That is sad news. We are losing the legends way too fast.

RIP, Mr. Allmann

Walter Stettner
Vienna, Austria