The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sarno Freeloader or any battery operated device
Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2017 8:20 am    

I keep my Freeloader attached to my steel at home all the time. I often forget to disconnect the cables to save battery. Silly question, basically for any device that uses a battery that draws current when connected.

Do I have to disconnect both cables on input and output or just one? If so which one to conserve the battery?

My battery went dead on a gig a few weeks ago and of course I had a spare in my seat. But if pulling one cable at home or a gig can make an appreciable difference I'll do it.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2017 11:08 am    

Typically just the input.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2017 1:13 am    

Pretty sure in my Matchbox 5a it's the output cable that has to be disengaged.

Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2017 2:22 am    

In this case it's the top (input) jack: http://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/resources/FreeLoader-2014-manual.pdf

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2017 5:42 am    

Well I think the manual says it all.

I purchased my Freeloader used from an SGF member. I didn't get a manual.

Thanks to all that responded.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2017 6:27 am    

And don't sweat it if you leave the top input of your FreeLoader plugged in (powered ON) by accident. The battery should last about 500 hours or so, no biggie to leave it on overnight or for a few days.

B

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2017 7:29 am    

@Brad

I think I've only changed the battery twice maybe three times since I bought the Freeloader. I use it with both a Hilton and a Goodrich VP. All into SS amps. I wouldn't play without it.

Even the BX500 with the 12AX7 tube sounds better with the Freeloader.

David Rupert

Mesa, Arizona (via Mahopac, NY & Missouri).
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2017 6:12 am    

Ollin Landers wrote:
Well I think the manual says it all.

I purchased my Freeloader used from an SGF member. I didn't get a manual.

Thanks to all that responded.

Much of the time, you can google search the item, plus the word 'manual'. Then download the PDF manual. I have almost every product's manual, I own, stored on my iPhone & PC. Actually, many companies don't even give you a manual these days, you have to download it from the internet; which I think is very wrong.

Question about the Freeloader.

Is it a signal booster, like the TC Electronic, SPARK? I'm thinking very much, on buying one. They have a mini version too, which is only around $49. It's smaller than their regular SPARK, but no tone controls or gain control. I just want to boost my signal at bit, for a little more punch, etc.

I think I made a mistake last weekend. I've been wanting the TC Electronic, Hall of Fameâ„¢ Reverb Pedal. It was on sale with a $60 savings.
I'm finding it cancels out the Flashback Delay, I have from them, which is very nice, btw. With both on @ the same time, I don't get the same amount of delay...& honestly, I'm not hearing any great benefit from having it. Their Delay & Overdrive are awesome on my steel though.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

"Music. Without it, life itself...would be impossible."

ZumSteel - Encoreâ„¢ S-10 / 3p x 5k (Two-Tone; Red & Black Top).
Rolandâ„¢ Cube 80x Amp, Hilton Volume Pedal, TC Electronicsâ„¢ Flashbackâ„¢ Delay, TC Electronicsâ„¢ MojoMojoâ„¢ Overdrive, Peterson StroboPlus HD Tuner, D2F Covers. Evans JE-300 Amp. (in the not too distant future).

Most Importantly: the musicians hands...& soul.

http://www.bandmix.com/pedal-steel-75/

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2017 8:04 am    

David

The FreeLoader is not a booster pedal. It's both a buffer and a tone control designed for pedal steel guitar. Like the lil Izzy or Goodrich Matchbox.

It is especially useful if you have a Pot Pedal. When I use my Cube 80XL without the Freeloader I actually hear distortion. I don't use my Cube 80's except at rehearsal now. But even with my Hilton VP and BX500 with the 12AX7 the Freeloader is very useful for taming the highs without affecting the lows.

No matter what amp, guitar or effects I'm using I never play without the Freeloader. On a recent gig the battery died at the beginning of the set and rather than change the battery I just removed the Freeloader from the chain. The band leader asked me what was wrong with the steel after the set was over.

http://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/products/fl.html

David Rupert

Mesa, Arizona (via Mahopac, NY & Missouri).
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2017 11:03 pm    

Ollin Landers wrote:
David

The FreeLoader is not a booster pedal. It's both a buffer and a tone control designed for pedal steel guitar. Like the lil Izzy or Goodrich Matchbox.

It is especially useful if you have a Pot Pedal. When I use my Cube 80XL without the Freeloader I actually hear distortion. I don't use my Cube 80's except at rehearsal now. But even with my Hilton VP and BX500 with the 12AX7 the Freeloader is very useful for taming the highs without affecting the lows.

No matter what amp, guitar or effects I'm using I never play without the Freeloader. On a recent gig the battery died at the beginning of the set and rather than change the battery I just removed the Freeloader from the chain. The band leader asked me what was wrong with the steel after the set was over.

http://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/products/fl.html

Sounds like the Freeloader, is something I would definitely love!! I'm going buy the Spark, signal booster, from TC Electronic...but, this will be on my wish list! Thanks for the info on it!

Brad: have you ever considered having 2 versions of your Freeloader? The current one, & a 2nd one, that would be an effect pedal, that you could put in a pedal board, & have a 9v AC connection. That would really be up my alley. I have my Peterson StroboPlus HD on the leg of my steel as it is. Just a thought! You definitely have an awesome product!

"Music. Without it, life itself...would be impossible."

ZumSteel - Encoreâ„¢ S-10 / 3p x 5k (Two-Tone; Red & Black Top).
Rolandâ„¢ Cube 80x Amp, Hilton Volume Pedal, TC Electronicsâ„¢ Flashbackâ„¢ Delay, TC Electronicsâ„¢ MojoMojoâ„¢ Overdrive, Peterson StroboPlus HD Tuner, D2F Covers. Evans JE-300 Amp. (in the not too distant future).

Most Importantly: the musicians hands...& soul.

http://www.bandmix.com/pedal-steel-75/

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2017 9:03 am    

David, in order to get the most out of the Freeloader ( with a steel guitar), it needs to see the pick up first, before anything else in the the chain....