INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

Notice: Some forum emails are not being delivered. (Details)

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Studio Furniture
Duane Reese

Post Posted 16 Jul 2017 8:22 pm     Reply with quote

I've been told that the best way to go is to build your own, if you want something that really fits your application...but what other options are available? They used to sell desks that had a pocket for a console, a nice bolster and rack space on the sides, but I haven't seen those in years.

Thoughts?
Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post Posted 17 Jul 2017 2:24 pm     Reply with quote

I don't use a mixer/console anymore since it would be over kill for my needs.
With that being said, Studio RTA makes a couple of different desks that don't have a cut out space for a mixer, but could certainly accomodate one.
They're very reasonably priced too.
Here's a picture of my studio set up.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Studio-RTA/Work-Station-Maple-1500000019697.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWMWXGP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj_LnwK2R1QIVDrnACh0RTwnjEAQYAiABEgI1dPD_BwE&kwid=productads-adid%5E57619015002-device%5Em-plaid%5E142912194021-sku%5E1500000019697@ADL4GC-adType%5EPLA
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post Posted 17 Jul 2017 6:32 pm     Reply with quote

Hi, Duane, I believe there is currently more Studio Furniture available than ever. Google "studio furniture". Raxxess is one company that makes good, serviceable stuff in many configurations. I have a few of their products, including a large desk. They have various finishes but the cheapest stuff is melamine-covered MDF and if you're careful, you can take it apart and move it and use it for years. There are some nice looking pieces under "recording studio furniture" on Ebay.
ajm

Los Angeles
Post Posted 18 Jul 2017 6:31 am     Reply with quote

Rick Schacter: What is the device above/behind the computer keyboard in the center of the screen with the faders?
It looks like it may be a controller for your DAW.
And what DAW are you using?

Thanks in advance.
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post Posted 18 Jul 2017 8:33 am     Reply with quote

ajm wrote:
Rick Schacter: What is the device above/behind the computer keyboard in the center of the screen with the faders?

Thanks in advance.

Not trying to jump in front of Rick, but I think that's a Presonus Faderport 8. I'm wanting one myself. Maybe Rick with tell us how it's working for him.

RC
Dale Rottacker

Tacoma Washington, USA
Post Posted 18 Jul 2017 8:51 am     Reply with quote

Nothing too fancy here... A cheap 100 $ desk from Bi-Mart, with 3 baskets I can access from in front of the steel, a board across the Monitors to display my trophy’s Laughing Laughing Laughing ... easy access to my Magic Pad and Keyboard... when I mix, I put a D2F cover on the Steel and have a couple pieces of 2’ light flooring put together where I have my Keyboard and Magic Pad, which I pull onto the D2F Cover... I can mix right there and have plenty of Monitor (27” ea) to split stuff up and see things well.

*2016 MSA Legend XL Signature 9x6
*1990 Jim Lindsey Special, Quad Original Bill Lawrence 705 PUP’s, 8x8 Gary Hogue Clone
*Black n Gray, Mullen D-10 8x7/ *Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6/ *Black Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x4
*Sho-Bud Maverick 3x1/ *Fender 400
Mitchell Smithey

Texas, USA
Post Posted 18 Jul 2017 4:16 pm     Reply with quote

Hmm... something looks familiar....
Dale Rottacker

Tacoma Washington, USA
Post Posted 18 Jul 2017 4:19 pm     Reply with quote

Mitchell Smithey wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing

*1990 Jim Lindsey Special, Quad Original Bill Lawrence 705 PUP’s, 8x8 Gary Hogue Clone
*Black n Gray, Mullen D-10 8x7/ *Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6/ *Black Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x4
Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post Posted 18 Jul 2017 5:09 pm     Reply with quote

ajm wrote:

Thanks in advance.

ajm

Rick Campbell is correct.
The device above my computer keyboard is a Personus Faderport 8.
It's a DAW controller.

Even though I don't have a mixer, I still prefer using faders to mix as opposed to mixing with a mouse.
It has the usual transport/record/solo and mute functions.

But what I really like about the Faderport 8 is that it's possible to edit FX plugins (in Presonus Studio One).

So far it's working well for me.

Rick
Mitchell Smithey

Texas, USA
Post Posted 18 Jul 2017 7:08 pm     Reply with quote

Dale Rottacker

Tacoma Washington, USA
Post Posted 19 Jul 2017 7:06 am     Reply with quote

[quote=“Mitchell Smithey"]Hmm... something looks familiar....[/quote]

Mitchell I wish you’d come up here and show me how to make it “SOUND” familiar Very Happy Laughing Very Happy

Rick, I’ve been looking at the Fader Port too... to use with Studio One 3.5... my mixing needs are pretty minuscule, as currently I only record to a pre-recorded track, so I’m mainly mixing for balance with that... Can you use this for automation, to tame too loud spots and bring up too soft ones? in real time?

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post Posted 19 Jul 2017 3:38 pm     Reply with quote

Dale Rottacker wrote:

Can you use this for automation, to tame too loud spots and bring up too soft ones? in real time?

Yes!
It works great for writing automation...volume/pan and FX Smile

Another thing I really like about it is that I can pull up "scenes".
Since I use some virtual instruments, it's nice to be able to punch the "VI" button and look at the mix for virtual instrument without looking at the audio tracks sometimes.

You can do the same with buses too. Or if you want to look at all of your tracks at once you can do that too (8 tracks at a time).

So far I'm pretty impressed with this unit.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC..
Post Posted 25 Jul 2017 3:46 am     Reply with quote

If you have a Gander Mountain near you, they are closing and selling all furniture as well. I believe many stores are closing this week FRI , the 28th.

You may be surprised at what they have for sale that can be very home studio friendly for crazy low prices, most are "what will you give me " ! Tables that maybe retail in the $400 range can be had for under $50 , I purchased a small bookshelf on wheels for $20 , I couldn't even make it for $20 !

Give it a shot if you have one nearby.

Emmons Steels, Fender Telecasters
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
Daryl Thisdelle

New Brunswick, Canada
Post Posted 13 Dec 2017 6:01 pm     Studio Furniture Reply with quote

If ya want the real McCoy studio furniture Argosy makes some real nice stuff.. My recording desk is from Argosy and does a fantastic job.

Daryl
Williams 700 Keyless SD 12 String Universal Lacguer Body Wood Neck Alumitone Pick Up GD Walker Stereo Steel Amp Preamp Combo With 2x15 inch JBL Speakers In Tuned Cabinets, Hilton Digital Sustain Pedal, Telonics Volume Pedal. Steel Seat With Back Rest And Swivel And Adjustable Legs. George L Cables. BJS Bar. Nookies Thumb Pick National Finger Picks. Jagwires Petterson Strobo Plus HD Tuner