The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Linux Users
Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 6:38 am    

Randy Schneider wrote:
Linux is ... far from 'dead' and is still evolving right alongside the others. It is quite user-friendly, and has multiple desktops to pick from instead of just one. It boots in a quarter of the time Windows does. It is free. It works, and it works quite well.

Randy, let's cut to the chase - I'll never be running "old hardware", so that's not a player for me, but my current system consists of the following:

Win10 64-bit Based OS
    ASUS Rampage IV Black MOBO w/32GB RAM
    Intel Core i7-4930 3.40GHz OC 4.4GHz
    Nvidia GEForce GTX 1080 Video Card
    Three ASUS XB280K 4K Monitors 3840X2160 Native Res running concurrently via 3 video card DisplayPorts
    Audio Out via Digital Optical
    Total of 6 hard drives, incl 1 SSD and 1 Hybrid, installed in PC and an empty bay for 1 more
    2 External Backup Drives, one 8TB via USB 3.0, one 3TB via USB 2.0
    8 External Devices connected to 1 External USB hub (Several more, both USB 2.0 & 3.0 into MOBO USB ports)
    Oculus Rift & Rift Sensor connected via 2 USB 3.0 ports and 1 HDMI port

Can Linux do all that?

Randy Schneider

SW New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 8:31 am    

Dave Potter wrote:
Can Linux do all that?

Dave, it seems likely that you do a bit more than just a little web surfing on that setup... Smile

Can Linux do it? I have no idea. But since Linux is used to power a good percentage of the world's web servers (and a LOT of other stuff as well - Chrome OS and Android were built on the Linux kernel), it is continually upgraded to support new hardware. Whether there are drivers available for every specific piece of hardware you've got, I wouldn't even venture a guess.

And it doesn't really matter to me. I think people should use what they want and whatever works for them. But the OP asked about Linux, and I was just trying to clear up a few of the misperceptions people have about it, because I do use it and know that some of them aren't true. I had some of the same misgivings when I decided to give it a try, but found that it was much easier to use than I originally thought it would be. If it hadn't been, I wouldn't still be using it.

Chuck Miller wrote:
My IT son-in-law tells me the infrastructure in Windows 10 was need for the coming of subscription based services. In other words. We will pay the initial price of the software, and than pay a yearly fee to continue to use it. I believe they have already started that with MS Office, but I could be wrong.

Chuck,

I have heard the same things. MSFT is already well down the subscription road for the Office products, as Adobe is doing with Photoshop, etc. And I would not be shocked at all if a Windows subscription is in their plans.

Last edited by Randy Schneider on 4 May 2017 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 8:31 am    

First off let me say,,,I most humbly appreciate and accept all the fantastic advise and opinions you guys have most generously given me,,,I can't begin to tell you how much appreciated it is for non-tech dummies like me,,,I mean tech people just don't realize how the simplest thing,,,the pushing of the right button, can leave us guys dead in the water, and without ya'll's help we would have no where to turn (that didn't involve $$$).

Having said that,,,let me say, I had no intention of starting WW3! We all have different opinions and there is really no need to try and get an Emmons guy to like a Kline,,,or whatever. We all use what we are comfortable with,,,or our "needs".

Scott,,,Thanks a million for that link,,,,looks like a VERY good way for someone to get their feet wet! I hope the guys who like and advocate Linux will be willing to help the newbies when and if that time comes,,,(as Dave has very generously helped me on a windows issue)

I hope the opinions keep coming in on this issue,,,I think it is one that needs more attention.

Chuck Miller

Newton, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 10:06 am    

I am all in favor of people using the brand of guitar, amp, picks, bar, and brand of operating system they want. As I said there are a few programs that I boot into Windows to use because the Linux equivalent does not do want I need. But for most everything else, Linux works for me. I run it Linux on everything form a dual core pentium to a dual quad core server with 6 internal drives, 3 external usb drive and 4 network ports. I have also reflashed my router to add some advanced features that the proprietary os did not have.

I've an electronic tech for 40 years, a ham operator for 50, and got my start with computers when I lived in silicon valley and built my first S100 based computer. So you could say I'm a bit of a techie. However, I still run into problems with Windows, Linux and FreBSD that send me running to google to look for help. No mater what operating system you use, there is a multitude of help available on the net. You just have to search for it.

Just like this steel guitar forum, search the archives, and then ask the members. Lots of help available.

Last edited by Chuck Miller on 4 May 2017 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 10:15 am    

Randy Schneider wrote:
Dave, it seems likely that you do a bit more than just a little web surfing on that setup... Smile ... Can Linux do it? I have no idea. ... Whether there are drivers available for every specific piece of hardware you've got, I wouldn't even venture a guess.

Yep, I do get a little beyond web surfing. Winking And that goes straight to why I've had no interest in exploring "alternative" OSes - I need something that works, and does all my stuff, without getting "under the hood" and having to tinker with the innards.

Quote:
MSFT is already well down the subscription road for the Office products, as Adobe is doing with Photoshop, etc. And I would not be shocked at all if a Windows subscription is in their plans.

Now, THAT one pushes my button. I, too, have heard the rumors about Windows subscriptions.

I use Open Office to avoid the MS "Office" goat-rope, and I own one of the last versions of Photoshop, CS5, that was sold outright. I'm not interested in playing the subscription game. So I probably will never enjoy any new features, but that doesn't bother me much. CS5 is quite capable, and does everything I'll ever need, as an amateur pixel-pusher.

If MS does move to subscription-based business model, I may join you as a Linux user. Laughing - or maybe just move on to iOS.

Sorry for the off-topic rant.

We now resume our regularly scheduled broadcast.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 4 May 2017 11:14 am    

GREAT!!!! As I said before, I value AND RESPECT tremendously ALL the various opinions. ,,,,My thanks to all of you !!!!

Randy Schneider

SW New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 11:41 am    

Dave Potter wrote:

I use Open Office to avoid the MS "Office" goat-rope, and I own one of the last versions of Photoshop, CS5, that was sold outright. I'm not interested in playing the subscription game. So I probably will never enjoy any new features, but that doesn't bother me much. CS5 is quite capable, and does everything I'll ever need, as an amateur pixel-pusher.

I know exactly what you're saying Dave. We too have been Open Office users for quite a few years already. OO doesn't have a Linux version AFAIK, but its very close cousin, Libre Office, has both Windows and Linux versions (and is included in the Linux Mint distribution).

My wife is the one who messes around with the artwork, and she too uses a recent version of the 'buyable' Adobe tools. But she knows of a few artists in the book cover world that are wondering how they're going to handle the subscription situation -- it might be fine for a regular/frequent user, but it will wreak havoc with the 'occasional' user of a tool like that. And I don't know of anything like the CS set of tools for the Linux environment. Yet...

As for the Apple OS, it is another alternative, but it is glued to their HW products and they are expensive, and it seems like they end-of-life their software as fast or even quicker than MSFT, often forcing a HW upgrade to keep that revenue stream up.

I think we're at a bit of a crossroads as far as software and its sales models are concerned, and it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. But it's going to take a while, especially with many consumers eschewing desktops/laptops altogether in favor of phones & tablets.

Apologies to Sonny if this is too far off topic again...!

Chuck Miller

Newton, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 12:10 pm    

Actually, Open Office started on Linux as a fork From Stsroffice, and then came a Windows version. Libre Office is a fork of Open Office due to some disagreement on the open source license. I believe Libre office is also available for windows. Other great Programs that are available for both OSs are Audacity for audio, GIMP for Photoshop type graphics work, and of course Firefox and Thunderbird.

Randy Schneider

SW New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 1:19 pm    

Chuck,

Just curious -- what Linux versions/distributions have you run or are you running? I know Scott and I are both running Linux Mint, and I've used Peppermint Linux as well, which is another lightweight Ubuntu package. Always nice to find out what other people are using and how well they like it...obviously you're happy with whatever it is you've got now.

Chuck Miller

Newton, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 5:16 pm    

I started out back in the 90s with Red Hat, I've tried Suse, Gentoo, Slackware, Knoppix (one of the early live cds), Ubuntu and then Debian ( which Ubuntu, Mint, and a bunch of other distros are based on) I stayed with Debian since the early 2000s, But lately have started using a derivative of Debian call Devuan. Lots of the linux distros are trying to be more like windows, limited choices, more locked down. Ubuntu and Mint tend to be a little more user friendly for newer converts, whereas Debian and Devuan tend to be very stable, but some what dated.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 8:40 pm    

I had Ubuntu, then Ubuntu Light on my spare PC. But, with its old hardware, performance really sucked and I abandoned the project. I plan to build a new Windows 10 64 bit PC sometime this year. When I do I will convert my current W10 (upgraded from w7), 32 bit PC to Linux Mint. I like options and experimenting.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Randy Schneider

SW New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2017 5:13 am    

Wiz,

I think you'll find Linux Mint fairly easy to get along with, and, as Chuck said, the desktop choices are pretty Windows-like. I settled on Mate over Cinnamon, but everyone will have their own preferences when it comes to look-and-feel.

And also as he said earlier, I haven't had much trouble finding answers to the questions I've had just by searching the web.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 5 May 2017 9:59 am    

My first experience with Linux was Puppy Linux. Small, lightweight (about 120Mb) on a USB Stick or CD.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Walter Killam

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2017 11:04 pm     I'm a fan of Ubuntu

I kicked Windows to the curb ~10 years ago, I find Ubuntu to be fairly friendly, I rarely have to go to a terminal. The desktop distribution seems to have solved the "Aunt Minnie" equation (it's not ready for prime time til Minnie can manage her PC).

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 27 Jun 2017 8:06 am    

Well,,,I've just been made aware that Linux has a program called Linuxband that looks, from what I've seen, exactly like BIAB!!!!,,,and it's free.

I'm "test driving" Linux Mint on USB stick,,,so far it seems to serve my purpose very well. Not being a techie, mine, like I'm sure a huge percentage of computer users are browsing, email, pictures, youtube etc. I'll bet 90% of computers users could get by VERY WELL on LM,,,,that might force Big Daddy Microsoft to,,,as we say in the south,,,"straighten up and fly right",,,LOL