The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My latest build.
LaVern Skarzenski

North East,Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 4:48 pm    

Here are a few pictures of my latest build. 8 string, 25-1/2" scale length. White Ash harvested from my late father's farm about 14 yrs. ago. TruTone pickup, leather dye for the color 13 or 14 coats of Deft lacquer for the finish. It is the first time I used lacquer and I am quite pleased how it came out.

Joe Elk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 5:07 pm    

NICE BUILD! I really like how the bridge is placed.
What did you use on the bottom of the steel where the string and ball end are placed.
Joe Elk Central Ohio

LaVern Skarzenski

Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 5:25 pm    

Thanks Joe. What I did was rout out a slot 1/2"" deep to fit a 1/2" diameter brass rod. I then milled the rod in half and then using a ball nosed endmill routed a slot on centerline to fit the ball ends of the stings. My thoughts were to improve the effect of a through the body setup to increase the effective string contact. I can't say whether it works or not but I thought that it might and it was a different approach. Thanks for the reply.

LaVern

James Phillips

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 6:15 pm    

Gosh, that's nice!

"Let the Bridges We Burn Light the Way"

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 6:43 pm    

LaVern, a beautiful steel that you can certainly be proud of. Smile
If you make a recording, please consider posting it so that all can enjoy the music from
this beautiful steel.

As you will recall, I met you at Bobbe Seymour's store in Hendersonville, TN, on 7/22/03.
Bobbe, "Uncle Doug" Seymour, and Jim "Shorty" Luce were having and enjoying a music
session together. A video was made, and posted after Bobbe's death. I really enjoyed the
session and meeting you .

Here is a link to the video:
BOBBE SEYMOUR: 1939-2014

I hope you enjoy the video memories.

C. E. Smile Smile Smile
A6 tuning for steels

Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 7:06 pm    

Nice one, like the color. Whats the pup?

LaVern Skarzenski

Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 7:33 pm    

Hi All,
Thank you for the nice compliments. I started this build quite a while back and everything got in the way and finally I got back to it this past winter.

Will, the p/u is a Wallace Trutone 14.5k. I told Jerry what I was building and he wound it to what he thought was good. As for my ears it sounds great.

C.E., I most certainly do remember meeting you at Bobbe's. That was a great trip. Bobbe, Uncle Doug, and Shorty Luce. That's where I got the nickname "Cousin Vern". We lost Uncle Doug this past winter and just this past weekend they had his memorial. It was very nice. Full of good stories and lots of memories. As for recording it, I can build them but I can't play them. I'll have to find someone who can.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 7:59 pm    

A SLOT for a bar bridge is a great idea, as you can solften or harden the overall tone by switching out bar materials. SURE ultem or soft bronze will notch up, but you can just roll it a bit, for the first ten years. Buy a foot of bronze, your grandchildren with still have a bridge.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 1:25 am    

WOW! Very nice build LaVern. I like the uniqueness of your guitar. I'll bet it sounds great. Great job, be proud of your well crafted Lap Steel.

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 3:21 am    

Nice build!!!!!!! I love the color!

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 3:56 am    

Top shelf build. Is the lap for sale? Did u make the knobs

LaVern Skarzenski

Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 4:57 am    

Thank you all for the nice remarks. Yes Johnie I did make the knobs. Just a simple aluminum turning trying to balance out the brass bridge and nut with the "chrome" tuners.
LaVern

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 6:34 am    

Very, very nice. Really like how you routed out a groove for the bar.

Bob Russell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 6:40 am    

Wow, that's pretty! I like your thinking on the bridge and nut, too. Beautifully done!

LaVern Skarzenski

Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 7:02 am     Follow up

I've had a request to show some of my other builds. I don't know how they will come out but I will give it a try.
LaVern

These are the 3 that I still own. Can't play them , just make 'em.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 7:39 am    

So you belong to the "build em" can't play 'em club.

WELCOME! I wish I could hear someone play mine the way it should be played at least once. Sad

Joe Elk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 8:27 am    

LaVern
As Bill Just Said I build but playing Not Very Good!

I like liked the squared end. I am thinking about building a new one steel your bridge end certainly has a clean look! I may have to rethink, however; I thought I would use an Art Deco look.

One of the ones that I build without using paint I used thinned artist oil paint. However, I will put the shoe dye in the back of mind.

I like routed edges!!!! Makes it look sort of like a Rickenbacker.

I truly like the inset back plate! At first glance I could not figure how you did it. The grain lines are so to matched to the body, I had to look a couple times to see to see they were not the same piece of wood.

If you would like to correspond while I am building the next one my email is
E9moose@embarqmail.com

Joe Elk

LaVern Skarzenski

Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 10:42 am    

Hi All, I was introduced to the dobro tuning, GBDGBD early on but after only a short while I came across a pedal steel tuned to E9th. I bought a instructional tape and the pedals and levers so I thought would make it easier to play. It actually did make it easier but it also so much more to learn. I never did get back to serious non-pedal playing, just building. I have my first 8 string tuned to the Don Helm's E6th, and this latest build I think it is called Fmaj7th, FACEGACE. I know one root, 2m, 3m, 4 lick on these tunings but haven't been able to use them with the group I play with. Maybe some day I'll really sit down and put some "seat time" in it.
Joe, as for the back cover plate, I actually had a piece of Ash with a nearly perfect grain pattern to match. I spent about 4 hrs. one day getting it shaped just right with the grain lines matching. When I was done that day I took the guitar and that small piece back into my basement room from the workshop. Well as luck would have it a few weeks later when I went to work on it again I could not find it. I looked high and low, inside and outside. I thought that perhaps I dropped it in the driveway(snow was on the ground then). I never did find it so when I did get this one completed I was very protective of it. We do heat with wood so it may have accidentally went up the smoke stack.

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 11:18 am     Nice Build

Love the Build too,

On the Brass , we invest into having them buffed and Nickel Plated.

Well worth the added expense , for nearly never needing to polish out the rollers.

Nickel does not effect the tone , if anything it enhances.

Chrome will give a more brittle sharp tone , and typically chips off eventually.

Being a Lathe Machinist you most likely already know a plate shop, if not look for one that specializes in short runs , for motorcycles and guitar shops.
YouTube Channel

LaVern Skarzenski

Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 5:49 pm     Thanks for the input

George thanks for the input. With your reputation and knowledge I consider that very worthwhile. I usually pride myself on doing as much as possible in my own shop and as a matter of fact just within the last 2 weeks I saw a video on Youtube about small home shop nickel plating. I may have to consider looking into this. Thanks again.

LaVern

James Phillips

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2017 5:38 pm    

Gosh, that's nice!

"Let the Bridges We Burn Light the Way"

LaVern Skarzenski

Post  Posted 16 Jun 2017 6:16 pm    

Thank you everyone for such nice comments. I really appreciate it.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2020 3:02 am    

Here is a guy I know that does exactly what you are talking about. Very good craftsman.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2020 8:18 am    

Great looking guitars Lavern! I've always used a tru-oil finish,,but I'm doing some experimenting now with Deft Lacquer. I have to have the open pores sealed,,trying to find a combination of stain, seal and finish. If I seal the wood,,the stain doesn't take as well,,,if I stain then seal,the sanding of the pores/raised grain adversely effects the stain. Also experimenting with Poly finish.

LaVern Skarzenski

Post  Posted 5 Jan 2020 1:54 pm    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
Great looking guitars Lavern! I've always used a tru-oil finish,,but I'm doing some experimenting now with Deft Lacquer. I have to have the open pores sealed,,trying to find a combination of stain, seal and finish. If I seal the wood,,the stain doesn't take as well,,,if I stain then seal,the sanding of the pores/raised grain adversely effects the stain. Also experimenting with Poly finish.

Hi Sonny, I do like the results of the lacquer and leather dye. I don't remember exactly what I did but I do remember wiping the bare sanded wood down with denatured alcohol and then sanding the raised grain. And then using alcohol as a base for the leather dye and wiping it on until I got the desired shade. Then applying the lacquer using the aerosol can. It goes on easy and I think the results are very nice but....even with the proper respirator and fitted correctly, and spraying in my workshop with the doors open I got slight headaches. That is why I have for the most part used water based finishes and some oil based. So far I haven't gotten results that I like as much as the lacquer. Those headaches tell me that perhaps the few brain cells I have left are being damaged, and I don't think I can afford to lose any more. Smile . Thanks for the interest in my builds.
LaVern