The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  can't reboot after installing windows updates
Don Olson

Muscatine,Ia. USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 4:30 pm    

I have a older Dell computer that had windows 7, I down loaded windows 10 I use PCmatic virus program, all went well when I down loaded windows updates till a month ago, now the computer will not reboot to my desktop, I have to shut down and restart 4 or 5 times to reboot to my desktop, what happened ? How can I fix it.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 9:48 pm    

If you are able to boot into Windows after several attempts, the hard drive, CPU, or capacitors on the motherboard may be failing. It may be time to cut your losses and buy a new computer. You can connect the old hard drive as an external slave, via a USB enclosure, and attempt to retrieve your saved files from it.

PCMatic operates by whitelisting user approved programs and blacklisting everything else. Perhaps this extended to the operating system you upgraded and it sees the Windows 10 files as unapproved and therefore is blocking some of them. This would be a matter to take up with their tech support.

Programs like PCMatic are not an anti-virus. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs detect and block known, emerging and suspected threats based upon definitions and heuristics. Files are regarded as safe unless they either match a fingerprinted code or display dangerous behavior or routines. PCMatic is a gatekeeper that relies upon user and community input to determine which programs should be allowed, like a doorman with a guest list. If your name isn't on the list, you can't get in and run.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog