INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

How do you like it now? (Details)

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone use a half stop with a fourth string E to F# raise?
Jeff Hogsten

Flatwoods Ky USA
Post Posted 6 May 2017 8:32 am     Reply with quote

I don't use a C pedal. I raise my E to F# on a lever. Love it. I'm getting ready to add a B to A lower. I'm going to put a half stop there. Got the idea from Tommy White. I've always wanted the half stop lower on the B but always wanted something else worse. That gave me the idea of putting a half stop on my E to F#. Thought someone may have done it. would appreciate any input.
Richard Sinkler

Oakdale, California
Post Posted 6 May 2017 9:14 am     Reply with quote

I would think that unless it was a really hard half stop, you would overshoot the F note. And that would make the full tone raise a bit hard to actuate without a bump in the move from E to F#. I activate the F lever pretty quickly, and need that hard stop on the F note.
Some anti-virus programs, like Trend and Norton, try to block my site and say it's malicious. It is not. Our computer experts on the forum have helped me and found nothing to worry about. It is safe to put in the exceptions list. See this post in Computers: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=301399
Jeff Hogsten

Flatwoods Ky USA
Post Posted 6 May 2017 9:18 am     Reply with quote

That's what I was afraid of
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, VA, Norway & Weeki Wachee, FL, USA
Post Posted 6 May 2017 10:12 am     Reply with quote

I have gravity driven "hard" half-stops on both raise and lower of E-strings on my modified Dekley - had them since back in -88. Use the vertical lever to lift these stops out of the way when I want to raise, or lower, two half-notes.

Plus: no risk of overshooting (as one will have with spring-loaded half-stops).

Minus: 1) a bit more complex mechanism. 2) cannot use the vertical for anything else.

All in all: love it Very Happy
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post Posted 6 May 2017 10:26 am     Reply with quote

I am completely unfamiliar with the intriguing engineering that Georg describes.
In the more familiar world, I have never met a feeler stop that was anywhere close to being firm enough to provide me the necessary confidence for the F lever. This is such an important and automatic position for me and it is an exacting lever to tune right. I want nothing to do with the complication of a less-than-hard stop.
I do have E>F# on a lever (in addition to the C pedal) but I'd give it up before I compromised the F lever.
Just speaking for myself.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post Posted 6 May 2017 1:15 pm     Reply with quote

I tried playing a friend's guitar that had that half stop. For me it was a disaster. I fail to see how my friend could play it.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post Posted 7 May 2017 4:11 pm     Reply with quote

You could always put a split on there for the other note as an option.
Beard MA6 Reso, 72 Gretsch Chet Atkins Nashville, Tomkins B-Bender Tele, Taylor T5, Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Steel Seat, Red Dirt Cases.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post Posted 12 May 2017 8:13 am     Reply with quote

Jim Palenscar's guitar has strings 4 and 8 E>F>F# as a double stop on the F lever, when set up right it's a great change, some unique voicing become possible.

My Mullen's LKL/Front raise just string 4 E>F#, no half stop, but sometimes I raise it a whole step, engage my F lever (RKR, do note), and release the F# down to F, for a new C#sus4 chord at open position. Or go the other way, F lever first, then the whole step raise, both are useful.

I still have a C pedal, and would never give that up, too indispensable for so many things that I play.
Mullen pre-RP D-12 9+10 /Li'l Izzy / Stereo Steel combo amp-preamp / JBL, BW & Telonics speakers in Telonics cabinets / Hilton and Telonics volume pedals / BJS bars / George L strings & cables / StealSeat.com pack-a-seat / Macintosh computers / This Space for Hire / Burma Shave