The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Getting started
John Boyte

Lake Providence, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 7:10 am    

Hi to all. I am virtually new to the forum and needed advice. I have ordered a new guitar but it is several months out. I just wanted advice on what kind of bar, picks, strings, effects, etc. are the best to start with.

Jonah Turner

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 12:35 pm    

As a relatively recent beginner myself, I'd recommend some National picks and one of the powdered bars for sale on the forum. The national picks were a lot easier for me to fit to my fingers than the Dunlop were, and the powder coated bars seem like a really great value to me; they're miles better than the Ernie Ball cheapo slide I started on, and they're not much more expensive. I'd also be careful about which volume pedal you buy. I bought a Dunlop pedal at my local music store and it was much too big for me to actually use sitting under a steel. Hope this helps.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 10:24 pm    

Hi John,

Welcome to the madness. It's a "nice little hobby."

Dunlop 7/8" bar available from forum store is a fine choice:

https://www.steelguitarshopper.com/D-920-tone-bar/

Someday you might have a collection of various bars, but nothing wrong with this one.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 10:35 pm    

Some folks swear by the powder coated bars. The blue one might still be available::

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=315670

A collection of bars in kind of like having a drawer full of holsters that you tried. Fun to experiment.

Jason Lynch

Essex, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 10:41 pm    

As for strings, you won't go far wrong with Live Steel.
Welcome to the steel world.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 4:12 am    

John, I am your Goodrich, George L's, Telonics and BJS dealer.

I am here to help even if you only have questions.

Welcome to your new addiction, the pedal steel!

Bill
770-921-7253
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 5:01 am    

Welcome to the goofiness.
Regarding volume pedals: most regular guitars have high-resistance pots built into the guitars, and the pedals meant for guitars have low-resistance pots in them. But there's nothing loading the pickup of a steel, so a pedal steel needs a high-value pot. You don't need an expensive volume pedal to start with, but you do want one meant for steel. A used Goodrich 120 or the new Stage One pedal are pretty economical
Picks? I like the Herco small blade nylon thumbpicks (also called Bugga Blues) and Dunlop fingerpicks
Bars? The Dunlop mentioned will be fine. Powder coat is rather intolerant of being dropped;a few trips to the floor and it's full of nicks in the plating.
Effects? None, or a touch of reverb. Not until you have the hang of making the noises you want.
Strings? The Live Steel are great, but things like the GHS Pedal Boomers or Curt Mangan will do fine. Avoid the D'Addario, for their packaging is frustrating.

John Boyte

Post  Posted 1 May 2017 5:27 pm    

Thanks for all the info. So, I get a wild hair and order a Stage One Zum Encore. Doug is a very nice guy and from the reviews I have read, I think I will be happy, especially since I won't be taking Paul Franklins place any time soon. I hope y'all don't get tired of me because I am sure there will be a lot of questions. Again, thanks for all your replies!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 5:44 pm    

Answering newbie questions is one of the things we're good at.

John Boyte

Post  Posted 3 May 2017 2:45 pm     amps

What is a good amp to get that will do normal gigs?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 3:04 pm    

If you don't want to spend more than $400, get any Peavey with Session or Nashville in the name. My personal preference is that anything with Session will sound better than anything with Nashville in the name.
While many players are using boutique amps, many TOP tier players are using a Peavey you can buy used cheap.
If you're already playing guitar and have a Fender Twin, you already own one of the best steel amps made.

John Boyte

Post  Posted 3 May 2017 4:40 pm    

Don't have a twin...got a Vintage Sound Deluxe reverb clone and a Super chassis I hope to rebuild with something other that 4-10s. Any suggestions on a "special" place to find good used Peaveys from someone you can trust?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 4:46 pm    

Here on the forum. Guitar Center. Craigslist.
But unless you're almost ready to gig and the band doesn't mic the amps, your two tube amps will have better tone than you're gonna be capable of wringing out of the guitar.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 5:15 pm    

John Boyte wrote:
Thanks for all the info. So, I get a wild hair and order a Stage One Zum Encore. Doug is a very nice guy and from the reviews I have read, I think I will be happy, especially since I won't be taking Paul Franklins place any time soon. I hope y'all don't get tired of me because I am sure there will be a lot of questions. Again, thanks for all your replies!

Very good choice. I'm a beginner and got my Encore a year and a half ago. It's a great guitar and will not disappoint you.

For pics, I'd recommend trying several varities. I tried Herco, National and Dunlop thumb picks and National and Dunlop finger picks. They all worked good, but I settled on Dunlop for both.

My brother who bought me the whole setup (full story here:http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=286475&highlight=encore) splurged for me and bought the Hilton low profile Volume Pedal. It's optical, requires power and is definitley more expensive, but it sounds great and you can really pull back the volume without sapping your tone.

For a bar, the chrome Dunlop mentioned above seems like a wise choice. I've dropped my chromed bar a few times and it has one very small nick. I wouldn't want to start with anything with a more fragile finish than that or it might really be messed up by now.

You already have two good amps, maybe pick up a seat and/or a nice volume pedal and play that setup until you figure what you want out of an amp that your own amp isn't delivering?

As for the Peavey's they're really dependable amps. If you find one that sounds good after a thorough testing, there's not likely to be any hidden flaws. Though you already have a good tube amp, it wouldn't be the worst thing to have a Peavey to compare it too.

John Boyte

Post  Posted 3 May 2017 6:01 pm    

You know, I also have a Peavey Bandit 112, one of the first ones and I think it is 80 watts. That's what the Nashville amp has I think. I don't know why it wouldn't work, too.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 6:05 pm    

The tone stack is different. The tone will likely disappoint a steel player.
It also has a speaker that will break up easily.

John Boyte

Post  Posted 3 May 2017 6:15 pm    

Ok...that answers that. I have a friend who is quitting steel. He is having trouble with old "author itis" and is burned out from years he said. He has a Nashville 112 for $325. I think that may be a good deal considering the cost of a newer made in China one.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 6:23 pm    

That'd work. But you'd get better use of the 325 turning into steel lessons from your buddy and playing through the Fender clones.
Note: I admit a bias. That's my least favorite Peavey steel amp. But they've sold a crapton of them....

John Boyte

Post  Posted 3 May 2017 6:29 pm    

Ok...good advice. That's why I have asked y'alls opinion. By the way, the finger picks come in a lot of different gauges I noticed. What do you recommend?

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 7:55 am     Louisiana

What part of Louisiana do you live in. I am in Crowley La. and I can help you with amps and bars. I have a Nashville 400 just recently serviced and upgraded by Peavey, I also have Vegas 400 with upgrades, I have a Session 2000 with built in Profex and remote midi controller with a PX 300 amp to go with it. Oh and a Session 400 LTD.
Dale

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 8:07 am    

I like 20 on up. I used to like having the middle finger one gauge lighter than the index (because the middle finger is stronger), but I quit caring when I got them wrong and it still felt and sounded fine.