The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rick Beato's "Everything Music" Videos
John Alexander

Post  Posted 21 Apr 2017 11:06 pm    

When I saw Forumite Rick Schmidt at the Phoenix show in January of this year, one of the first things he said to me was something like "Have you checked out Rick Beato's videos on YouTube?" In fact I'd found out about them only 5 days earlier.

Beato's videos cover a wide variety of topics in music theory, application and practice, including jazz, rock and classical music, composition including film scoring, interviews with performers and composers, and a variety of other music-related topics. In the 10 months since he started this series, he has posted approximately 200 videos, so there is a lot there.

Six-string guitar is Beato's main instrument, so he demonstrates many of the topics on his guitar, but I would not say the videos are intended primarily for guitarists.

For those of us (myself in particular) who don't already know everything there is to know about music, Beato's videos are likely to be a great resource for expanding one's knowledge. But in general they are not for the faint of heart, and unfortunately they are not presently arranged in any order of difficulty, complexity or sophistication, so you have to just try different videos to find what suits you at the time.

As I write, Beato's latest video is titled Holdsworthian Bitonality.

Anyway, if you're interested look here: https://www.youtube.com/user/pegzch/videos