The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Name that tune???
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2017 10:21 pm    

OK jazz/swing guys, anyone know the name of this song?

https://youtu.be/TD96thUa7-o

RC

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2017 3:15 am    

"Autumn Fling" written by Buddy Spicher. I'm no Swing/ Jazz guy, Rick, but I buy every Buddy Emmons record when I see one.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2017 3:15 pm    

Forgive me, somewhat off-topic...

I know there is a "technical" (musical?) term for the scratchy/harsh kind of fiddle sound that guys like Buddy Spicher and Chubby Wise are known for (as opposed to the smoother/purer sound that players like Mark O'Conner and Tommy Jackson are known for).

Does anyone know what the term is?

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 9:32 am    

Quote:
I know there is a "technical" (musical?) term for the scratchy/harsh kind of fiddle sound that guys like Buddy Spicher and Chubby Wise are known for (as opposed to the smoother/purer sound that players like Mark O'Conner and Tommy Jackson are known for).

I always thought that most fiddle players, at some point, tried to emulate Tommy Jackson.

I wasn't aware that Buddy and Chubby were known for a "scratchy/harsh kind of sound. Maybe they missed this..

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 9:52 am    

Scratchy? Doug Kershaw and Papa John Creach popped in my mind. Here is the latter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mua_DNvFwQ

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 11:45 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Forgive me, somewhat off-topic...

Does anyone know what the term is?

What you refer to is a lick, not something related to a style... just as a chime is a lick/element of steel playing. I would never consider Buddy or Chubby's playing to be "scratchy or harsh". In fact, Chubby Wise was one of the first fiddle players to play with a long bow and smooth rich tone. One form of the lick is referred to a a chop... related in timing to a mandolin chop... or back beat drum. There were a lot of country fiddlers playing great smooth tone at the same time as Tommy Jackson.... Shorty Lavender, Dale Potter, etc...

RC

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 25 Mar 2017 9:59 am    

Here's some scratchin' fer ye...

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 3:42 am    

😂

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 3:54 pm    

Barry..... that's pretty funny!!! You don'the even have to rosin the straw?

RC

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 6:34 pm    

Rick, that tune is on a late 1970's Flying Fish LP called "Buddies" featuring Emmons and Spicher. It is a fine one with a real jazz feel. Kenny Malone on drums and fantastic upright bass by the late Charles Dungey. My dad bought it and didn't like it because of the Jazz feel and gave it to me. Smile I transferred it to my iPhone a couple of years ago. There's another nice Spicher original called "Magic Swing" where Buddy is playing with a second violinist. Lenny Haight, I think is the name. I am in Vallejo, CA tonight and can't check the credits Smile

To me, Spicher's "scratchiness" seems to come out more when he is playing jazz. Maybe it's a tip of the hat to Graphelli and Venuti who had scratchy tone to my ear.

I always like Spicher's double stops in the Dale Potter vein. I think I read where he was influenced a lot by Dale. I guess picked that up on the Paradise video you posted.

BTW, there is another good LP of Spicher and Emmons and a few I can't recall called "American Sampler" I believe. I think it was one of the first digital LP's. I remember it has a burning rendition of "Lady Be Good".

Been hooked on Buddy Spicher (and Hal Rugg) since watching the Wilburm Brothers on Saturday afternoon when I eight years old. I always looked forward to when they came back from the commercial and did an instrumental.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 8:22 pm    

Yes, I've got those albums somewhere myself but it's been years since I've listened to them. I asked Spicher once about a cut I thought he played on in the 60's, but wasn't sure if it was him or Dale Potter. He said he didn't remember the cut, but it was likely him because at that time he tried to play like Dale. There is, and has been, a lot of good fiddlers. Our buddy Randall Collin's did a good album with Spicher. Our buddy Jerry Moore and I worked up some of those songs, and I've played them with Randall also. I played the lead parts with Jerry and the harmony with Randall. Seems like those days are long past. Nobody seems interested in that kind of stuff anymore. Music seems to be evolving to all genres sounding alike to me.

RC

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2017 7:43 am    

the Spicher album with Lady Be Good is called Yesterday & Today and also features Johnny Gimble on fiddle.

Jim Robbins

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2017 8:23 am    

It sounds familiar because it's based loosely on "How High the Moon", Buddy Spicher kicks off his solo with a quote from Charlie Parker's "Ornithology" (around 1:03) which is a head based on "How High the Moon" changes.

Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2017 7:15 am    

Tune #1 on this great album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp5lB3W5sGo