The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  steelin' the gospel-star city, arkansas-may 20th, 2017
Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 4:38 pm    

the Steelin' the Gospel Steel Guitar Showcase is changing dates and venues, to the, cane creek state park, near Star City, Arkansas.
the new date is Saturday, may 20th, 2017.
we will be in the big tent, next to the large pavilion and picnic area.
enjoy food & fun & steel guitars.
it is not limited to southern gospel music, but, this is the gospel according to the steel guitar.
be it pedal, non-pedal, lap steel or dobro.
we will be unlimited at this time in players that would like to showcase at this event. we will have the back-up band and can use track players as well.
you can bring your singers too! some may be available by request, if needed!
more information will follow....
camping is available, motels & cabins are nearby.
reserve your slot now for your choice....
country jack....

Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2017 6:13 pm    

the 2017 steelin' the gospel steel guitar showcase @ cane creek state park, star city, Arkansas.
I was just informed that cane creek state park has added this to their cultural series and they have asked us to include the Friday nite early bird jam to the show and are adding this event to more advertising thru the state parks advertising channels. more info to come.
more to come....

country jack....

Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2017 6:13 am    

the texas show is behind us. so now it is time to hammer down on the 2017 steelin' the gospel steel guitar showcase at cane creek state oark, near star city, Arkansas on Saturday, may 20th with the early bird Friday nite jam on may 19th, from 6:30pm 'til 10pm.i know there are steelers in Arkansas, but, so far all the interest is coming from Mississippi.
it appears to be the audience is filling up pretty quick, so, if you desire to play your instrument of choice, the steel guitar, in front of people that really appreciate good music, then here is your opportunity.
Saturday may 20th / time slots of choice are available. 1st come 1st served.
friday may 19th / early bird jam. special treat....
country jack; come on down to twinkle town!

Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 7:42 pm    

after this weekend if there is no interest among the arkansas steel guitar community, we may just open up the program to gospel singing groups. the state is putting up a big tent. we were preparing for a circus, we may just have a revival while we're at it.
watch for updates.
at this point it is still, "steelin' the gospel".

country jack....

Dan Rollans

Little Rock, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2017 6:21 am     Steelers Choice

Hello Jack, I would love to come to this event. I have put it on my calendar for the past few years, but something has always come up to prevent me from attending. I have it on my calendar again this year and I'm checking my schedules. I will also make sure the members of the Central Arkansas Steel Guitar Association are aware of the event. I'm sure this will be a wonderful show. Thank you, Dan Rollans @ Steelers Choice

Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2017 7:35 pm    

alright, dan the man, your on....
it was lookin' like there was no interest in the steelers of Arkansas for a show in their own backyard, but you have come thru at the wire. so, it will be as intended, steelin' the gospel pn Saturday may 20th @ cane creek state park near star city, Arkansas. many details will soon follow.

thanks

country jack

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 3:15 am    

Jack, I am glad to see you putting this together. I enjoyed being there for the first one but now the Oklahoma Steel Show is Memorial Day weekend and I could not do two in the same month. My wife would shoot me. Maybe one day I can play it again. Hope all goes well for you and you guys have a great show.

Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 3:47 pm    

paul;
the door is always open. we have moved the venue, to be a little closer to you in the event that Arkansas tugs on your heart. we have a chance now, that, this being a state park, we can make room for a bigger audience and impact on the steel guitar in gospel music.
thanks for your input. you are subject to quite a few conversations around here, folks always ask about ol' paul from texas and how are him and the mrs' king and when are they comin' back?
we'll leave a light on for ya'!
thanks again....

country jack....

Dan Rollans

Post  Posted 2 Apr 2017 5:34 pm     Music type?

Hello Jack,
I told the guys at today's central ark steel guitar association meeting about the upcoming event at Star City. Many showed interest and are checking the calendar. One question was asked , will this be strictly gospel music or country standards like other shows? A few , such as my self, will need to brush up on some gospel tunes.
Thanks again, Dan Rollans

Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2017 7:37 am    

dan;
this is traditionally a gospel steel showcase, but, with the move to cane creek state park and with may being the month of cultural events in the state parks of Arkansas it will be cultural to play what they are accustomed to playing. if the ones that can will mix their set with some gospel that will be fine too.
saying all that, the door is always open....
steel guitars, as cultured as home churned buttermilk, ....only better.

country jack....

Dan Rollans

Post  Posted 3 Apr 2017 7:48 am    

Thank you Jack. I'll pass on the information.

Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2017 5:59 am    

alright, the time has come to tighten-up.
I was informed this morning that the park is completely booked in the campground for Friday and Saturday nites.
we have the audience in place. if you like to play for a crowd, then, here is your chance.
star city is 25 miles south of pine bluff, Arkansas and 25 miles north of Monticello, Arkansas.
music in the park, presents "steelin' the gospel steel guitar showcase: may 20th, 2017....

country jack....

Dan Rollans

Post  Posted 10 Apr 2017 7:44 am    

Hey Jack, Ronnie Nabors is wanting to talk with you about show. Give me a call or email and I will get your number and/or give you Ronnie's number.
Thanks, Dan

Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2017 11:06 pm    

as noted, the campground is completely booked.
the park is 5 miles east of star city, Arkansas on ar hwy 293.
rhe America's best value inn, has available rooms right now @ 870-628-6883.
the cane creek state park @ 870-628-4714
there are 2 players signed-up now, which means, these guy's have 5, 30 minute sets each to play on Saturday starting at 1pm. if no one else is interested at least we have the back-up, the singers and the crowd so they can put on the show. this cultural event will also feature the haley creek boy's bluegrass gospel group at 7pm as the finally and an open country & gospel songwriter showcase will open the event on Friday nite. writers welcome!
if you play steel guitar at any level and you play gospel music this showcase is for you. if you play other than gospel music you are still welcome to showcase with us.
steelin' the gospel steel guitar showcase @ cane creek state park, may 20th, 2017.
country jack....

Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 7:24 pm    

alright, the Arkansas weather was tricky, but, I think all the steelers made it home from the hills and another successful steel guitar show.
we are adding to our list of players at the steelin' the gospel steel guitar showcase, may 20th, near star city, Arkansas, at the cane creek state park.
the 2017, headliner will be Ronnie Neighbors, from hot springs, Arkansas. another player will be danny rollans, the c.e.o., chief engineer and the head honcho of the easy rider steel guitar seat company.
I was there when his dad, ken, rolled the first easy rider off his workbench, so long ago I can't remember.
he was so proud of what he had built for himself and everybody wanted one just like it. that's America!
as part of dano's set I request that he tell us the story, as inquiring minds wanna know.
he will have a few to show & tell and show & sell.
I will add more players and the schedule soon.
country jack....
if you want on the list, drop me a hint

Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 6:38 am    

Friday night, may 19th, will host the delta songwriter showcase as the warm-up event of the music in the park as cane creek state park, near star city, Arkansas, welcomes the 2017 steelin' the gospel steel guitar showcase as their, music in the park cultural heritage event.
if you know or know of any songwriter, especially of gospel music, country/gospel or bluegrass/gospel, spread the word. 870-628-4714 is the number to register. there is no charge for Friday or Saturday's events.
if you are a steeler, you are welcome here.
have you noticed, steeler's are always the guy's behind the bar's....
country jack....

Arvis Moore

Brandon, Ms.
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 7:35 am    

I sent you a PM

Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 1:07 pm    

arvis;
I will check it in the pm. at this point I have seen nothing yet. o'll track you down later, somehow, if nothing develops.
good to hear from you. hope you are coming....

country....

Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 1:20 pm    

arvis;
the p.m. postal service has come thru....
I received the message. mr Pruitt and yourself are in like flint. to mr Pruitt's amazement, this year, we are including dobro's on the show. he'll just have to figger-out how he's gonna play all those instruments. I will post a schedule later but I will put ya'll in the 1:30 - 2:30 range. do you want separate set's or split-up sets. anyway 30 min's each.
we'll work it out. if you need singers, just say so, ...or, ....say no!
thanks
country

Arvis Moore

Brandon, Ms.
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 1:32 pm    

Jack put us down for separate sets. I'll let you know on the singers.

Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2017 8:53 pm    

the response line has picked up and we are nearing a full slate and a record setting showcase. the park is completely sold out on camp sites and the motel is filling up for the showcase weekend. if you want in the mix, either p.m. or answer this post or send word with a friend, like some have and we'll lock you down. a few more day's till the schedule is up and it may be too late to alter.
already starting earlier and going later.
thanks guy's. and by the way, girl's are welcome!
this is not just a boy's sport....
country jack....

Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2017 10:01 am    

the 2017 "Steelin' the Gospel Steel Guitar Showcase" line-up for Saturday May 20th, 2017 @ Cane Creek State Park, Star City, Arkansas.
**bring lawn chairs for the best seat in the house!
<--------------------------------------------------->
11:30am- Whispering Pines Cowboy Church Band
12:00pm-special program featuring Rev. Michael Mcfall
12:30pm- Country Jack w/the Steelin' the Gospel Orchestra, welcomes everybody to the showcase.
1:00pm- Keenan Friday : Magnolia, Arkansas
1:30pm-Ray Pruitt : Brandon, Mississippi
2:00pm- Arvis Moore : Brandon, Mississippi
2:30pm- Dan Rollans : Mablevale/East End, Arkansas
***a tribute to Ken Rollans, his creation, the Steelers Choice seat and his love and contribution to the steel guitar industry!
3:15pm- Floyd Arbuckle : Cleveland, Mississippi
3:45pm- Gene Simmons : Deirks, Arkansas
4:45pm- Terry Sneed : Urbana, Arkansas
5:15pm- Ronnie Neighbors : Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas
6:00pm- supper break/ food vendors on site
7:00pm- The Haley Creek Boy's, Bluegrass/Gospel Concert : from God's Country, Southeast Arkansas

Arvis Moore

Brandon, Ms.
Post  Posted 14 May 2017 10:41 am    

Jack advise the best way to go to cane creek off hwy 65

Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2017 6:02 pm    

arvis and the Mississippi delegation and anyone else coming, up or down hwy 65.
turn west at the light on the south end of dumas, home of the ding dong daddy's, Arkansas, which will be Arkansas hwy 11. the sign will say, Monticello. but, hwy 11 actually goes to star city. when you get to star city, cut back on ar hwy 423 and it is 6 miles to the park entrance,
there might be a sign on hwy 11 that will direct you to 423 and right into the park. cane creek state park, come to the big white circus tentl
hwy 65 to hwy 11 to hwy 423,,,,
870-628-4714 /
50 state park rd, star city, Arkansas 71667
drive careful, the weather will be clear and bright.
country jack....

Andy Jones

Mississippi
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 5:29 pm    

I'd love to be there Country Jack,but I'm working.I've got two more Saturdays to work before July 1,then my regular job is over!I'll continue to work my part time job,but on my terms.
Ya'll have a good time,cause I know the Lord will bless the praising of His name.
See you down the road!

Andy