The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Carter Dog Bone alternative
Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2017 12:59 pm    

I know that the Carter dog bone has come up often. I've been thinking of an alternative and so far it's worked on mine. Take a look and give me your thoughts.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1826662064274553/

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2017 6:30 pm    

Thanks, Ron. I didn't even know there wss a Carter group on FB. There is room for a new idea. Whenever the "Carter achilles heel" topic comes up here folks get stymied. I'm a new Carter player, no issues yet, but trying to be ready before it causes trouble.

I like the simplicity of your design. The end of the rod attaches to the outside of the "comb," so not sure how it will work when several rods on the same string run through the center of multiple bell cranks.

Love to hear more.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2017 6:53 pm    

Perhaps you could post a picture here for those of us who don't do Facebook.

Michael Remming

Kimberly, Idaho, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2017 8:55 am    

See this link for other ideas http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2594712#2594712

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2017 3:44 pm    

Ron Hogan new idea from FB:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1826662064274553/

Bob Knetzger's "roll yer own new dog-bone" and Michael Remming's picture of parts Brian Henry has/had at one time. Both old (left) and new (right) are shown.
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2594712#2594712

The barrel with hex-socket screw would be called a round, fully-threaded standoff, with a hole drilled through the center at 90°. Requires cutting the hook or loop from the rod. It isn't needed to capture the dog-bone since the standoff locks it with the set screw. This does allow adjusting effective length of the rod.

After cutting the hook off, is the rod long enough to use with the standoff? Results vary. I like this method.

Michael Remming

Post  Posted 27 Jan 2017 4:11 pm    

Dan, I had plenty of rod left to attach the barrel (standoff). You do have to pay attention and cut the hook off as close to the bend as you can. I used a good pair of dykes (diagonal cutting players) and it helps to pull the rod completely out for filing and checking the fit.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2017 5:10 pm    

I tried cutting the bend off, but I prefer to just make a new rod. All it takes is to cut the rod (I used dull linemans pliers) and thread it. I leave a little more rod beyond the barrel to allow better adjustment of slack.

Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2017 8:00 pm    

I've got the 3/32" rods in stock and already threaded.

http://psgparts.com/Pull-Rod-Set-Cut-to-Fit-093-w-3-48-Thread-RODSET-C2F-THRD-093-348.htm

If there's enough demand for them, I will order the standoffs and drill them just like I have for the MSA's, Dekley's, and a few others. What is the frequency of these needing replacement? Would it be better for me to just make the dogbones? I have a CNC lathe that can knock those out no problem. Just need to know if there's enough market for these items to program, tool, and set up.

Would you guys be interested or would you rather piecemeal this stuff.

PSG PARTS
http://www.psgparts.com/

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2017 8:15 pm    

Micheal, should you decide to make some of these "dogbones", I have seen quite a few posts regarding the failure of these parts. Any way before I drifted off I was thinking the stock ones are made of brass I think, and that seems to be their weakness. I was thinkin if they were offered in SS it would be a "must have" upgrade/repair. IMHO...Stormy

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2017 8:58 pm    

Michael Yahl wrote:

http://psgparts.com/Pull-Rod-Set-Cut-to-Fit-093-w-3-48-Thread-RODSET-C2F-THRD-093-348.htm

If there's enough demand for them, I will order the standoffs and drill them just like I have for the MSA's, Dekley's, and a few others. What is the frequency of these needing replacement? Would it be better for me to just make the dogbones? I have a CNC lathe that can knock those out no problem. Just need to know if there's enough market for these items to program, tool, and set up.

A standoff like your MSA Brass Rod Locking Barrel would be ideal.

IIRC diameter of the MSA part is too large for Carter bellcrank. Given proper dimensions it would be ideal. The capless set screw avoids interference. I am interested.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2017 10:33 am    

Dan Robinson wrote:
Michael Yahl wrote:

A standoff like your MSA Brass Rod Locking Barrel would be ideal.

IIRC diameter of the MSA part is too large for Carter bellcrank. Given proper dimensions it would be ideal. The capless set screw avoids interference. I am interested.

I think the one's Michael has now are 1/4" diameter.

I agree that If Michael made the one's for a Carter, he could possibly sell quite a few for those who want to change out all the dog bones.

Bob Knetzger

Kirkland, WA USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2017 10:51 am    

3/8" brass rod drilled to accept a 3/16" steel drill rod. Slide into crank, add pull rod. Done.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2017 1:35 pm    

More Dog Bone experimenting-Success!

Steelers,
I did some more experimenting with the issue of the Carter Dog Bone that allows attachment of the pull rod to the pull finger/bell crank. I found something so simple and available at your local ACE hardware store as a substitute for the dog bone. Follow along with the pictures.

When the dog bone is placed in the pull finger it will not fallout forward, but can fallout sideways from the finger. I found that I could take a 3/16” diameter rivet aluminum or steel and it will slide perfectly into the pull finger “comb” without falling out, like the dog bone, perfect fit. You can see in the picture that I cut off the long part (nail) of the rivet with a dremel tool.

I then took a hair pin cotter and slipped it over the convenient groove in the rivet (like it was made for that, LOL). Then as usual, slip your pull rod over and between the pull rod and around the rivet body and then slip the rod through your changer finger.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2017 2:11 pm    

You can also reverse the rivet to make room for another finger next to it.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 8:08 am    

I want to say I just didn't post this for anyone who may have a broken Dog Bone linkage.

Being that I bought a used Carter, I wanted extra linkage parts to add changes to mr setup. 8&8 guitar. Currently I have two knees that I haven't populated yet. I have the bell cranks and now I've come up with. Dog bone alternative.

Michael Remming

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 9:09 am    

Michael Yahl I will sent you a sample barrel for you to inspect and measure.