The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  First Dance Played With New Evans Amp
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2017 11:06 am    

I played my first job with my brand new Evans Amp last night. 6-piece country dance band. The sound I got out of my guitar was simply amazing! The tone was so good it made me want to play! You know your sound was good when every member of the band tells you how great you sounded at the end of the night. I even had several members of the audience come up and complement me on the tone of my guitar.
I tried one of these amps "before" I had Scot Buffington build me one with a 15 inch speaker. For everyone familiar with Evans amps, this is a new amp, not the old Evans amp.
My new Evans amp with a 15 inch speaker weighs less than my Peavey Nashville 112. My new Evans amp is smaller than my Peavey Nashville 112. The Evans amp has 300 watts whereas my Peavey Nashville 112 has 80 watts.
The amp has many unique features and controls. I like the traditional pure, clean steel sound, without gimmicks. The only effect I had on the Evans amp last night, was my Hilton Pro Legend delay, hooked into the Evans send and return loop.
I want everyone to know, I purchased this new Evans amp at full retail price. So I am talking about an amplifier I paid my hard earned money for! Many times you see people evaluating, and bragging about, an amplifier they have been given. There are many manufacturers trying to buy their way into the music business by giving equipment away.
Scot Buffington has a traveling amplifer you can try free of charge. Scot will send you the amplifier, and have it picked up, all at his expense. So you have nothing to lose! All I can say is this new Evans amp is the best amp I have every played through. Last night at the dance I got the sound and tone I have always dreamed about. Plus I like the idea that this amplifier was built here in the United States, by a person you can call up on the telephone.

Dale McPherson

Morristown, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2017 1:27 pm    

Keith, is there a model number for this amp?

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 11 Jan 2017 2:12 pm    

Dale it is the SE300 with a 15 inch speaker. The amp I tried before I made my purchase was a SE300 with a 12 inch speaker. There is hardly any difference in the sound--tone with a 12 or 15 inch speaker. I will be happy to tell anyone the settings I used on the controls. Also, I think Scot Buffington has written down my control settings. Scot's contact is www.EvansAmps.com Phone 336-270-5700
I want to make clear that I am not attempting to run down any other amp brands. If you like the amp you are using, by all means keep using it. The quality and sound of this amplifier convinced me to spend my hard earned GREEN money. I paid full price and am totally happy!

Gary Dillard

Tuscaloosa, AL
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 3:49 pm    

Ditto to what Keith Hilton said!

Bruce Bishop

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 4:53 pm     Evans SE 300. 15 "

What kind of weight are we talking about Mr.Hilton

Thanks

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 6:44 pm    

Looks like it is 36 lb.

Is it a closed back cabinet?

Robert Rhea

Panama City, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2017 11:32 am    

Keith, I sent you a PM back in January with no response. I've also send questions direct from your website. Are you not receiving these? Please let me know.

Thanks...

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 13 Mar 2017 4:28 pm    

Robert, I did not receive either message you are talking about. Try e-mailing me at KLhilton@aol.com

Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2017 7:42 pm     evans

I have 2 RE-200 Evans amps that I bought new 7 years ago and I love them they are perfect for spreading the sound around you and are closed backed, anther feature I prefer and weigh almost nothing. Treble is set on 1.5 and bass is perfect for steel. I use a Sarno rev pre and my digital effects are normal delay and reverb. The controls are very specific and I'm not sure I get all I can ; using the preamp for all of that. As good as the RE-200 is as a well built and dependable amp I tend to think of it as very convenient kick-ass powered speakespeaker.he SE 300 and any other larger amp may a completely different animal. Is there anyone out there that uses this small but powerful amp?

baxter vaughan

Lubbock, Texas 79424
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2017 7:33 pm    

My wife bought me a SE200 for my 50th birthday 10 years ago. It's still going strong. Scott provides excellent customer service. I would love to hear the 300 sometime.