The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Split Screw at Two
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2017 9:10 pm    

My D10 Fessy E9 neck has a split screw at the 2nd string.
I know there is a feel stop against S9.

The Fessys only have split screws where they are required.... but I thought it was to tune a raise and lower together??

There is no half step raise on s2 along with the full step raise on s1.... but the guitar is second hand so I have no idea if it was split against that change in the past.

Any ideas on what this split screw could be used for? Woukd be great if I could make a better feel stop against s9.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2017 10:30 pm    

I use the 2nd string split tuner to tune the C# note. This makes for more accurate tuning for the D note which in our case is tuned at the 9th string lower. Hope this makes sense.

b.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2017 10:39 pm    

Can you walk me through how to tune it that way

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 11:17 am    

Hi Tom,

Use the set screw on the 2nd string to tune your C# note for string 2.
Then use the 9th string set screw to tune your C# note for string 9.

The nylon tuner on string 9 will tune your D note for string 2. When that nylon tuner hits the changer finger for the 9th string lower... that's your feel stop. If you tighten the lower return spring for string 9 it will give you a more defined feel stop.

An issue that's not uncommon is that your 2nd string doesn't reach all the way to C#. If that happens start over. The knee lever stop as well as the position the rod is in the bell crank and changer will give you more or less throw for the change. You get more throw by moving the rod up on the changer (closer to the changer axle) and down on the bell crank (further from the body of the guitar). Oh, and make sure you don't over tune the 2nd string lower; which means the nylon is tightened so much the changer never comes back to its proper resting place.

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 11:27 am     Re: Split Screw at Two

Tom Gorr wrote:

The Fessys only have split screws where they are required.... but I thought it was to tune a raise and lower together??

In this case those split tuning screws are not being used for raise/lower split tuning. I guess that's why Jerry refers to them as "final lowers".

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 11:53 am    

In all cases, they tune final lowers, with the actual "split" being tuned with the nylon nut.
Calling them split screws muddies their operation.

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 12:42 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:
In all cases, they tune final lowers, with the actual "split" being tuned with the nylon nut.
Calling them split screws muddies their operation.

Exactly, Lane. I call them Final Lower screws. I set them to tune all the final lowers on every string that has a lower.
I set up the Nylon tuner and pedal/KL stops so that I lower the string just a shade too much. Then I bring the string up to pitch with the final lower screw.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 1:01 pm    

How often do you see someone try to use that to tune the A# of LKV (or wherever they put that lever), and then get frustrated that the Franklin pedal won't drop to A?

BTW, Bent, I love your guitars. Stunning craftsmanship.

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 1:06 pm    

On my guitar I just use the nylon tuner on the second string to tune the C# note. The nylon tuner on the 9th string tunes the stop (the D note on the second string). The split tuning screw on the 9th string as the final lowering stop on the 9th string. What would be the advantage of using a split screw as a final lower stop on the second string?

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 1:17 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:
How often do you see someone try to use that to tune the A# of LKV (or wherever they put that lever), and then get frustrated that the Franklin pedal won't drop to A?
I know...It takes a while getting used to tuning at the screws and not going for the nylon nut like we're used to

BTW, Bent, I love your guitars. Stunning craftsmanship.

Thanks Lane, it is humbling to receive such a nice compliment

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 1:36 pm    

Marco Schouten wrote:
On my guitar I just use the nylon tuner on the second string to tune the C# note. The nylon tuner on the 9th string tunes the stop (the D note on the second string). The split tuning screw on the 9th string as the final lowering stop on the 9th string. What would be the advantage of using a split screw as a final lower stop on the second string?

If you also have the now-common 1st and 2nd string raise to G# and E, you can use the nylon to tune the split at D, and the Final Lower screw to tune the C#. In my opinion, there's something cool about pulling it up to unison with 4,then pulling it down to the dom7.
There is a theory that lowers stopped by the screw have better tone (since they share a method with push-pull and pull-release). I'm not sure I subscribe.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 1:46 pm    

You guys are killing me with great info today... thanks!

Had no idea that these were for anything other than splits. I guess I haven't been paying attention. .. oops.

Hey Bent, was at your website a few days ago, and I agree with Lane - love what you are doing over there on the other side of the frozen tundra.

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2017 12:33 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:
Marco Schouten wrote:

If you also have the now-common 1st and 2nd string raise to G# and E, you can use the nylon to tune the split at D, and the Final Lower screw to tune the C#. In my opinion, there's something cool about pulling it up to unison with 4,then pulling it down to the dom7.
There is a theory that lowers stopped by the screw have better tone (since they share a method with push-pull and pull-release). I'm not sure I subscribe.

Ahhh, brilliant Lane. Idea Idea Idea

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2017 12:52 pm    

Marco, here's a video where I use that split (and the 1st and 2nd string raise) excessively. Because I was demonstrating the change.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XUykptG6DBQ

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 6:25 pm    

Tom Gorr wrote:
You guys are killing me with great info today... thanks!

Had no idea that these were for anything other than splits. I guess I haven't been paying attention. .. oops.

Hey Bent, was at your website a few days ago, and I agree with Lane - love what you are doing over there on the other side of the frozen tundra.

Thanks so much, Tom. For a more up to date look at my steels, go to My Facebook site BenRom Pedal Steel Guitars. Once there. ask to be added and I will add you.
Sadly, I have been neglecting the BenRom website after I started the site on Facebook.

Tundra or not...it's always nice and warm in my shop!!