The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  George Edwards
Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 10:06 pm    

I've been asked by George Edwards grandson Andrew Gooch to let everyone know that George passed away peacefully in his sleep surrounded by family around 6:00 pm Thursday. Arrangements are pending. Please say a prayer for Sally and the family.

I wrote the original post late last night while at a gig and didn't have a chance to say more.
George was a friend and mentor to me since the late 60's. He was a true gentleman and loyal friend. He loved his family aND loved playing steel and fishing. I was near his home a few days ago and thought to myself that I needed to call him and go visit, well I let that chance slip away. RIP George.

George Dungan Edwards IV
Born in Philadelphia, PA on June 27, 1937
Departed on December 29, 2016 and resided in Hendersonville, TN
Life Celebration Service: Hendersonville Funeral Home Room: Chapel
Tuesday January 3, 2017 1:00pm
Visitation: Hendersonville Funeral Home Room: Chapel
Tuesday January 3, 2017 11:00am to 1:00pm

Last edited by Johnny Cox on 31 Dec 2016 9:47 am; edited 3 times in total

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 5:47 am    

George was one of the pioneers, and he should have been more widely recognized as such. Do you know how old he was?... in his 80's probably.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 6:10 am    

I think you're about right with George's age, Herb. His was one of the first names I heard when I first came to the USA. I was doing a show with Jeannie Seely and she told me that George had had a stroke. This would have been around 2000.

So, although I hadn't heard of him before, I've retained an impression of a man who was widely respected and thought of with affection.

My sympathies to his family and friends.

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 7:13 am    

I am saddened by this news. George was a kind man and a great player. RIP Big George...

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Roy Peterman

Muncy Valley, Pennsylvania
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 7:59 am    

I am so sorry to hear this. George was a great guy and a good friend when I lived in Nashville. He was the reason I bought my first Emmons guitar. Prayers for his family and may George rest in peace.

Sherie Edwards

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 2:01 pm     George Edwards

Thank you for your kind words. Dad was 79 1/2 (as he was fond of saying) & passed away peacefully. The visitation and service will be held on January 3 at Hendersonville Memorial Gardens; visitation is from 11-1 and the service starts at 1.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 2:11 pm    

George is and will always be NJa legend among those of us who knew him here on the East coast. I have many stories from the past of George and his many fine qualities. He was a friend and a mentor to me for years. Please pray for Sally and the family. Rest in peace my friend.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 2:56 pm    

George and I use to try and get together on Saturday mornings for coffee, stories, play steel and listen to music. He was an influence on me when I was a kid starting out on steel and counseled me when I moved to Nashville to play. He will be missed by me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=wmRNhbnN3GA

Bill Irsik

Lenexa, Kansas
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 2:58 pm    

So Sorry to hear this. I meet George in 1977 when I saw a little note about him giving Lessons. I knew he played for Hank Jr., so I called him and was invited over to his house. I still have numerous lesson tapes from him and had the chance to visit with him a couple yeas ago at one of Show Pro's picnic. I am so glad I was able to do this! RIP my friend!

Terry Miller

Hammondsport NY USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 3:50 pm    

George was my very good friend. He taught me how to play Faded Love when he was in Philly and I still play it the same way to this day. He was a great man, a great friend and a great player. For many years he did a lot for the steel guitar community by givind lessons to many that wanted to learn. He will be missed. Our prayers go out to Sally and family.

Monty Laffoon

Tuscumbia, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 4:59 pm    

So sorry to hear about George,First met him wen he Was working with Hank Jr.I would run in to Him ever so often in Nashville.One of the nicest guys around.Rest in Peace George,You are one of my Heroes.

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 6:51 pm    

Many years ago we were opening for Johnny and Kitty at the fair in Hiawassee, GA. George walked in the dressing room, stuck out his hand, introduced himself, plopped down in a chair and talked for a long time. What a nice guy.

Some may remember a story about him and somebody delivering a new guitar for Buddy in Nashville after an all night drive from Burlington and arriving at his house at six or seven in the morning (I think I have the facts correctly, it was discussed here on the forum). He told me the whole story and got a laugh at telling it again!

Rest In Peace, George. A nicer fellow I have never met.

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 2:28 am    

I'm very sorry to hear this news. My condolences to family and friends.

John Drury

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 6:40 am     Re: George Edwards

Johnny Cox wrote:
I've been asked by George Edwards grandson Andrew Gooch to let everyone know that George passed away peacefully in his sleep surrounded by family around 6:00 pm Thursday. Arrangements are pending. Please say a prayer for Sally and the family.

I wrote the original post late last night while at a gig and didn't have a chance to say more.
George was a friend and mentor to me since the late 60's. He was a true gentleman and loyal friend. He loved his family aND loved playing steel and fishing. I was near his home a few days ago and thought to myself that I needed to call him and go visit, well I let that chance slip away. RIP George.

Johnny, Thanks for posting this, and I am another one that should have gone to see my old friend and time slipped away on me.

My extreme condolences to Sally, young George and his Sisters.

See you all on the 3rd.

Rest easy George........
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr

Russ Hicks

Pegram, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 7:29 am    

I met George when he was playing in Philly; what a wonderful human being and musician. I wish I had called him more often. My loss....our loss.

Mike Johnson

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 7:39 am    

George was a class act. Not only a great player, but a nice guy. When he came through Montgomery with Hank Jr in the mid 70's, he was so nice to me and my Dad. Also when I first moved to Nashville, he and Paul Jr. were the first to welcome me with open arms. He told me early on, "You will only be as good as the best player in your band". Basically he was saying, work with as many great players as you can, so you can learn all you can from them. It was great advice!

Me and my brother Mark, who worked for Kitty while George was in the band, give our condolences to his family.

Rest in Peace my old friend, we will all miss ya.

L. A. Wunder

Lombard, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 8:54 am    

I took one semester of lessons from George when I was in college. He laughed at the fact that I had to sit on two big Nashville phone books on a kitchen chair to play. He didn't go easy on me either, and for that I'm grateful. I gained skills and confidence from him, and I remember him fondly.

Rest in peace n peace " Uncle George".

Wayne Quinn

Cape Breton.NovaScotia
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 12:40 pm     Sad News

I.am so sad to here of Georges passing. i got to meet George here in my area back in the 80s with Kitty Wells show. like Johnny Cox and Mike Johnson said yes George was a true gentleman.i can understand Johnny why he would be your mentor .he was putting his guitar away after the show. i walked up to the stage be hind him and said the Emmons sounded awesome . with out looking back he says you play steel guitar do you. i said well yes .but not like you.and after hearing you i don,t know if i wanna play again . we both had a little chuckel .he got up came over shook hands told me his name, i to found a friend and mentor . i even left with his home phone number and a invatation if i was ever in his area or any where he was playing to stop by and have a chat and me being a rookie he said anything you need to know about steel guitar and steel products or any way i can help you give me a call. whats that say a PRO steel player and most of all a PRO. Human Being rest in peace. George .you will always be in my thoughts

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 1:10 pm    

Thought I would post this past thread about George, sounds like he was a great man, Rest in Peace!

http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum14/HTML/000311.html

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 2:23 pm    

I am sad to hear this. I too met George here in my hometown while he was touring with Kitty Wells. He was a really friendly man, pleased to speak with me about pedal steel as he tore down after the show. He even suggested we go for a coffee and talk at length but I was with friends. I did carry his D10 Emmons out and put it on the bus for him though. He was the sort of man I could have learned a lot from if he had lived nearby. My condolences to George's family.

George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 5:08 pm     George Edwards

I was fortunate to meet George while he was with Kitty Wells at a show in Colorado Springs at the then Clarion Hotel. Me and my band opened the show. I think it was around 1977 or 78. He was a very nice and cordial gentleman. I was playing my MSA at the time and he complimented me on my playing. He said that he would remember me because my middle name which I used as a stage name was the same as his. So we were both George Duncan.
In later years I had a drummer/singer working in the band by the name of Ray Parsons. Ray told me that he knew George Edwards very well and that he had played many jobs with him back in Philly and N.J. Ray had great stories about George. Ray had at one time worked with Bill Haley for about 18 years.
Meeting both of these gentlemen is a favorite recall of mine. Both are gone now and I hope they are playing together again, again.

Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 7:02 pm    

Awe, man. I hate hearing this. Hadn't seen ol' George in several years. We had quite a few breakfasts together years ago. One of the coolest, nicest dudes ever. God bless the family. He was awesome.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/

Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2017 5:59 pm    

George used to come by the Sho-Bud factory around 1980 to make sure the guitars were good enough to ship. I remember how beautifully he played and how his friendly personality lit up the place.

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2017 4:24 am    

Just plain one of the nicest human beings ever . Every time you saw him, even if that hadn't been for a while, he'd make you feel like you wer the most important person in the world. Rest in peace, George

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2017 4:06 pm    

I'm really sad to hear of George's passing. What a great guy he was, as well as a great player. It was always fun to cross paths with him out on the road. We would talk about fishing and steel guitar as we were both so interested in those things. One of the most sincere and nice people I've ever known. I really liked George very much.

My prayers and deepest sympathies go out for George and all his family and friends.

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson