The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BIAB --Can anyone use it??
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2017 8:27 am    

I've been thinking of getting this software but it is expensive and I have no music theory background whatsoever. How difficult is it to produce rhythm tracks for someone like myself? For one thing I see that you are required to enter the number of bars in the song you are working on. That leaves me at a loss right out of the gate. The chords can usually be found online but I have no idea how to calculate bars.
I just don't want to lay out a lot of cash for this only to find I can't work with it. On the other hand it would be great have access to rhythm tracks for any song I want to play.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2017 8:39 am    

A person can always learn. Very Happy

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2017 9:31 am    

Hmm...you know what they say about old dogs Erv.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2017 9:40 am    

Bill,
Yes, I do.
Speaking from one old dog to another. Very Happy

David Weisenthal

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2017 10:09 am    

Bill, I understand your hesitation. I bought it a year ago and have only slightly delved into it. There are lots of YouTube videos on the basics which are very helpful and it's fairly simple to put a basic track together. I'm sure guys here could send you some basic song theve done in it. Learning by example is probably the best. If you get it definitely get some of the "real tracks".

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2017 10:59 am    

Take it as an opportunity to finally learn about bars. In fact, when you open the program, you don't have to tell it how many bars the song is. It defaults to 32 bars (which might or might not fit your song) but most tunes run either 16 or 32 bars (and blues are usually 12 bar). So, just start typing in the names of the chords, while counting the beats (most country-type songs are 4 beats to one bar). While you play the track, you'll see the cursor jump to the next bar and if you needed to change the chord there, stop the track and enter the name of the next chord, then re-start the track, etc. Eventually you'll get it worked out.
Good luck!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2017 11:01 am    

Bill,
If you start with a song you are familiar with, it shouldn't be too hard to come up with the measures.
And if you have the chords to go by, I think you could get the hang of it.
After you get a song worked up on BIAB, play along with it and correct any mistakes you've made.
After that, you can save it in a song file.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2017 11:07 am    

Oh, forgot to mention, you can get hundreds of already-prepared song files for BIAB to play along with, without ever creating them yourself, so go for it!

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2017 6:26 pm    

Thanks for the input. I am going to think it over. There is the option of getting BIAB files that others have produced but what I've had in the back of my mind is doing some home recording. I have a Presonus AudioBox on order ( the whole recording thing will be new to me also ) and I was thinking of using BIAB to produce my own instrumentals. I like the idea of doing my own leads on both pedal steel and six string and doing my own tracks would let me add or subtract instruments as I go. If you get them pre-made you don't have the ability to alter them as I understand it.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2017 7:00 pm    

Not true. If you get them already made, you can still change them any way you wish. Key, tempo, chords, style, instruments, etc. All editable.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2017 7:13 pm    

That's interesting Jim, and really all the more reason to buy the software. I thought the files would be read only. If one bought the 2017 version it would probably be backward compatible with files done in earlier versions.

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2017 6:17 am    

I got BIAB in 2011, and it's one of the best music investments I've ever made. I already had a fairly good understanding of theory, but the program has made the understanding of bars, timing, chords, etc much easier to understand. I've only barely scratched the surface of what the program can do, but I'm far ahead of where I'd be without it. I've programmed approximately 150 songs myself, and I've gotten files from several other sources.

I bought the Ultra Pak on an external HD and ran it on Windows 7 for a couple of years from the external HD. The computer died, but I had backed up my files to another hard drive. I got a new computer with Windows 10, with a 1TB hard drive, and I installed the program and files to the new computer. Works great.

I've never had any problems with a file from an earlier version.

Leon Carpenter

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2017 6:49 pm     Can anyone yous it?

Bill, Check your email. Later Leon

Charley Hill

The Dirty South
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2017 6:57 pm    

Chuck Campbell has been an invaluable resource for BIAB. I would reach out to him if you have questions.

Jim Smerk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2017 11:20 am    

I have used BiaB since it's floppy disk days (remember those folks?! Laughing ) and most every day since Real Tracks started, and I am probably clueless on 90% of what the program can do!

But to be truthful, if you are creating backing tracks & lead parts you can have a good grasp of it in a week or so...

I tell people if you can type, you can use this program. And the BiaB forums are like this one, very helpful & non-judgemental to folks who need help. Cool

Jim Smerk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2017 1:30 pm    

OK, I knew I had a few links that could help you out. The first one is from a fellow forumite Rick Cambell on You Tube. It is an older series, but laying out a song is explained very well, since you need some help with Bars etc...

https://youtu.be/XhNFBHy26-c

For the Audiobox, I THINK they include a version of Studio One 3 software for the DAW. Here is a You Tube series just for beginners...

https://youtu.be/tYZJE2d2eJA

Hope this helps! Cool

Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 7:54 pm    

Just a side note. I'm not sure which versions will do this, I'm using 2017, but you can import a recorded song, then open that song with the chord wizard, and it will create a BIAB file of that song. You can then change the key, change the tempo, etc. If you want to learn a new lick, this lets you slow it down to any speed you want. You can also create a chord chart instantly. Imagine the arguing that would save when the band wants to do a new song and all they have is a recording. This program can be one of the best learning tools you will find. Wish I had it when I was a kid.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2017 2:39 am    

regarding bars, measures, beats/measure etc... Do not overlook BIAB as an educational tool. Open one of the embedded songs under the 50 songs folder, open one you know. Thats why they are there.

Click play and watch it while listening. As Jim mentions above, the edit screen is laid out very clearly so you can see the song in beats and measures as you listen.

BIAB is advertised as not only an editing tool for musicians but also as a learning tool for others.

Take the plunge, but like anything else, don't expect miracles overnight. Go slow, learn the basics and build on them. S L O W L Y

Ok, if we think we are buying BIAB today and recording tracks to play over tomorrow we may hit a stumbling block, especially if we are not familiar with ANY relative chord theory or song structure.

BIAB is a very smart intuitive program but still needs to be configured properly with your PC or MAC along with some minimal music knowledge to produce even the simplest song.

I run my 2013 off of the supplied hard drive, I do this so I can use it on 3 different PC's. Thats an option, as the executable files can be loaded and accessed from a PC as well. Also remember, if you actually want to hear MUSIC from BIAB you may have have to point BIAB to where your audio driver/program resides. All PC's are not equal.

I say these things so that if someone makes the purchase and it seems like it doesn't work, it ain't the BIAB program.

I know several who tell me it won't run on their Laptop. Uhh..yes it will. They tell me they have done "everything" and it still will not run. Well, they have done everything except the one thing that WILL allow it to run.

Other than that, my small opinion, BIAB is perhaps one of the greatest music programs to ever grace the planet. Worth every dang penny.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Leon Carpenter

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2017 10:46 pm     Can anyone yous it?

Bill, I will remind you that the PG Music XMas. Sale has been extended to the 15th.of Jan. It's not too late. I sent you proof of what you could do with BIAB 2017. Everyone starts from scratch. Myself, I love it. Later------- Leon

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 6:06 am    

Thanks to all for the insight. At the moment I am having some regrets and frustrations about buying a Presonus Audiobox. I was hoping to get into home recording but so far the thing has me flummoxed, haven't been able to make any headway whatsoever. If I get a handle on that I may move on to BIAB. The whole idea was to make my own rhythm tracks to play over and record.
As far as the holiday pricing, as far as I can see the only savings to be had are on the upgrades. Full packages for first time buyers are full price.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 6:31 am    

Discounts are available all over the internet until 1/15/2017:

http://www.midi-store.com/PG-Music-Band-in-a-Box-Audiophile-Version-2017-PC-p/sku42519.htm

http://www.midi-store.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=pg+music&Submit=GO

http://kellysmusicandcomputers.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Band-in-a-Box
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 6:54 am    

Greg, I was going by the PG Music website, but I looked into MidiStore...they don't ship to Canada. Kelly's Music does but their Canadian operation doesn't appear to be offering any discount, in fact they are more expensive than buying direct from PG Music.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 7:22 am    

Wow! PG Music's regular prices for the advanced packages are not very attractive. Perhaps you can email them and ask about the January sale. Otherwise, I agree with you that the list price is too high for the average user. I do all my tracks now in Reaper with EZDrummer, EZkeys and all other instruments real. For me BIAB is just another tool to use at times maybe for all the tracks and sometimes just to port some tracks to Reaper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Leon Carpenter

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2017 10:05 am     Can anyone yous it?

Bill, I also bought the Personas $200.00 package. it is nice ,IF you are well versed in DAW's. My copy has been in a drawer for a couple of years. My advice, and that is all it is, send the Personas back. apply that money to The $469.00 BIAB package. Included in all BIAB programs is RealBand. A 48 track recording DAW that works seamlessly with BIAB song files. Let the good people on the SGF help you get started. There is a 30 day, no questions ask guarantee included with every product offered by P.G. Music. If it doesn't work for you, send it back. Later-------Leon

Jim Smerk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2017 1:00 pm    

Real Band is a combo of BB and power tracks pro, the original daw that pg music had. You can create songs in it like BB, but each one has there strength & weaknesses.

I don't use Real Band because I don't like the layout. A LOT of folks do, and use it well. It is a good DAW. Cool