The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How to wire a new Goodrich pot???
Alan Simon

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 3:46 pm    

I just received a new style Goodrich pot and I haven't a clue which wire goes where. The new pot has 3 prongs sticking out the back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in Advance, Simon

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 4:09 pm    

Go to Greg Cutshaw website. He has a diagram. There not that hard, but the soldiering of them is. The next ones I get will have the wires already soldier to them. Nothing is simple anymore. hahaha
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Alan Simon

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 4:50 pm    

Hey Jim, I checked Gregs site out and saw his wiring layout for the pot but since I can't read or understand electrical drawings it makes no sense to me. There are 2 studs that are closer together than the third stud looking at the back of the pot. I'm wanting to know which color goes where. From what I can tell from Gregs picture with the 2 closest studs on the top and the farthest stud on the bottom. Brown wire/ left top......white wire/right top......orange wire/bottom. Would that be correct?
Sorry I'm so stupid.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 5:52 pm    

Alan, I haven't installed one but I have made notes earlier for a new one I bought.

I believe you have it right. That jibes with the markings I made on my pkg.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 6:40 pm    

You might go to Tom Bradshaw's site too. I thought Gregs was pretty good. He tells basically what each terminal goes to.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 8:01 pm    

If you have a multimeter,, turn them pot three quarters open. Two pins will have around 470K between them, and they're third will be closer one than the other of them two.
There output comes off their middle one, and they hit wire goes to the one it is closest to.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 11:01 pm    

With the new Goodrich pots- as well as the Dunlop pots- if you look as you look at the contacts as if they were features on a face (you might need to turn it a bit so that you can see it this way)- the left eye as you look at it is the ground, the right eye is the input, and the chin is the output.

Alan Simon

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 3:58 am    

Jim Palenscar wrote:
With the new Goodrich pots- as well as the Dunlop pots- if you look as you look at the contacts as if they were features on a face (you might need to turn it a bit so that you can see it this way)- the left eye as you look at it is the ground, the right eye is the input, and the chin is the output.

Thanks Jim,
That's exactly what I need.
Thanks so much, Simon

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2017 1:53 pm    

Simon, if you need help call me at 479-806-5330. I would have put leads on it if you had asked me to, however, I believe it is easier to install using the leads you already have in your pedal.
Thanks,
Jerry

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2017 5:01 pm    

Jerry Roller wrote:
I believe it is easier to install using the leads you already have in your pedal.

I agree, Jerry. Yesterday I installed the new Goodrich pot you sent me in a Sho-Bud pedal. I used the existing wiring. Thanks to your advice, it went off without a hitch.

Kudos to Jim Palenscar for furnishing the diagram above. Fortuitous timing for me. Although I could have figured it out for myself by referring to another pedal, Jim's diagram saved me that hassle.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2017 5:35 pm    

Who else would have come up with the Goorich funny face? That should be easy to remember. Clever.
Jerry

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2017 5:56 pm    

Yes, it is, but if you don't do it much, you don't remember the sequence.