The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Application will not load
Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2016 9:29 am    

Hi All, I have been using Best Practice Slow down software for a long time and suddenly it doesn't want to load. I get this error message. application failed to initialize properly 0xc0000142 any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks

Tom

Last edited by Tom Keller on 28 Oct 2016 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2016 2:27 pm    

First, try rebooting the device/computer, then try launching the program.

Second, reinstall the program over the existing one.

Third. Uninstall then reinstall the program.

Fourth, check for an updated version from the manufacturer. It's very possible that an operating system update broke the program and a newer version fixes that issue.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2016 6:51 am    

Thanks for the advice Wiz. Unfortunately, I have tried all the above and since its open source they don't update very often. The rest of my applications seem to be working fine. So who knows. I am running a vista operating system but it did work before. Alas!

Regards

Tom Keller

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2016 9:54 am    

Tom Keller wrote:
I have tried all the above and since its open source they don't update very often..... I am running a vista operating system but it did work before.

Uninstalling/reinstalling probably rules out issues with the software itself; that leaves your system. Googling it, I found this, which might be worth a try.

Something else I'd look at would be to let it happen, then open Windows Event Viewer, or whatever Vista called it back then, to see if there's any more information on it. Also, how long's it been since you ran chkdisk c: /f? Things can get corrupted on your hard drive (master boot record, etc), and chkdisk can fix some of them.

Just some thoughts...

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2016 3:22 pm    

I looked at the various entries for this program, on Sourceforge. It was released during the Windows XP era. If some random program or Windows update has broken the program, try running it in XP SP3 Compatibility Mode. Do this via the desktop shortcut's Properties.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2016 3:31 pm    

BTW: The last published version of Best Practice, 1.03.1 was in 2009 and is available on this page.

I have just read comments from two people who have tried running it on Windows 10 computers. One experienced instability. The other had the same fatal error as Tom.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2016 4:33 pm    

Wiz Feinberg wrote:
I have just read comments from two people who have tried running it on Windows 10 computers. One experienced instability. The other had the same fatal error as Tom.

This kind of thing is typical of what can happen with "legacy" stuff - both operating systems, and software. I don't have an explanation for why it used to run on Tom's system, but doesn't now. But trying to run obsolete software on obsolete operating systems eventually will take its toll.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2016 6:28 pm    

Here's one more thought, from my twisted digital right hemisphere.

Sometimes, when a program gets damaged by an operating system update, or by a system file replacement (from whatever cause), reinstalling it may fail to correct the errant behavior. In these instances, completely uninstalling the program, rebooting and reinstalling it may save the day. By <i>completely</i>, I mean run the uninstaller via Control Panel, or via the Start Menu Uninstall link, them remove all remnants from both the hard drive files and folders and the Windows Registry.

Some people use Revo Uninstaller to do this. Others use CCleaner. The goal here is to delete all references to files, folders, registration, settings, etc. After doing this and rebooting, it will be a clean slate if and when you choose to reinstall the program one more time. It has worked for me with a legacy business card program that was written in the early days of Windows XP. The program worked perfectly under Windows XP and Windows 7. Then, after a particular Windows 7 update day, the business card program would no longer launch. It took me most of a year to figure out that I needed to purge every hint of its existence before trying to install it again. After doing this, the program loaded just like it used to and works to this day!

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2016 10:38 pm    

Wiz, Thanks for the help I took your advice actually used CCleaner to take care of any lingering files. I rebooted then down loaded the program from the Sound Forge site and I got the same error message. I do have the program on a windows 10 laptop that I am going to try in the morning. I suppose if it works the only thing I can say is my operating system has become corrupted even though everything else seems to be working fine.

Thanks again

Tom

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2016 6:55 am    

Well, I tried Best Practice on my lap top running Windows 10 and it worked perfectly. Looks like there is something wrong with the Vista operating system. Oh well.

Thanks Again

Tom Keller

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2016 1:27 pm    

Tom Keller wrote:
Well, I tried Best Practice on my lap top running Windows 10 and it worked perfectly. Looks like there is something wrong with the Vista operating system. Oh well.

Thanks Again

Tom Keller

You need to fix that problem before more stuff goes wrong. Do this using an elevated Command Prompt.

To proceed, use the keyboard combination of the Windows key and the S key together. If that doesn't launch the Search box, press the Start orb and look for a link to "Search." Once you open the Search box, type CMD and look for the results for "CMD.EXE" or "Command Prompt." Right click on that result and select "Run as administrator." Type in your Administrator password if one was set and it is requested. This is a command prompt launched with Administrator privileges.

With the Command window active, type in this command:
SFC /SCANNOW
then press the Enter key.

This will start an integrity scan of Windows system files by the System File Checker. If it finds corrupted files it will attempt to repair them on its own. If that fails, it may request the location of your Windows setup disk (insert the media into an optical disk drive), or of the original operating system installation files possibly saved in a hard drive folder.

If SFC is able to access your installation files and replace the corrupted ones, it will tell you so upon completion. When the scan has completed, if it reveals that some files were replaced, reboot the computer. After logging into Windows, try installing/running your program again.

Note that if you use your Windows Vista installation disk to do a SFC repair, it must be at the same service pack level as the computer. Vista had 2 service packs released after the original release. If you have updated Vista to a service pack that is newer than your setup disk, that disk won't work properly to repair corrupted system files.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2016 1:40 pm    

Addendum to my previous suggestion...

In addition to running SFC from a command prompt, you can also use it to run chkdsk, which checks for bad sectors and crosslinked sectors on your system drive. The command to launch Chkdsk is "chkdsk /r" (case doesn't matter)

Note: <i>The /R option "Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information (implies /F)."</i>

Since Chkdsk cannot do any repairs while Windows is active, you will be offered the option of running it upon the next reboot. Accept the option by pressing the Y key (= Yes), then close all programs and restart Windows. Do NOT touch any keyboard keys as the computer restarts. Doing so cancels Chkdsk! Go do something else for a while as Chkdsk does its thing.

When Chkdsk finishes it simply restarts the computer. If you need to log into Windows with a user account and password, it will halt at that screen and wait for your input. Otherwise, when you come back your PC will be logged into your desktop.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2016 4:17 pm    

All that stuff was in my earlier suggestions. I'll try to refrain from posting here since it seems to be a waste of my time.

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2016 4:53 pm    

Hi Dave and Wiz, Here's a follow - up to your suggestions. I followed through with scannow and I also ran Chkdsk. Scannow show there to be no problems as did Chkdsk I uninstalled the program through control panel and reinstalled it. Same result with the same error message. Dave your suggestions were very helpful mucho thanks to you and Wiz.

Regards

Tom Keller

Last edited by Tom Keller on 29 Oct 2016 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2016 5:21 pm    

Quote:
Dave your suggestions were very helpful

Just trying to help, Tom. Sorry it didn't. It's a little difficult to solve issues on the internet.

I thought Wiz's suggestions to try compatibility settings might produce results...guess not.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2016 7:44 pm    

I hate admitting to defeat. But, I don't have anything else to throw at this problem.

Dave; I'm sorry I reposted your previous suggestions. I should have re-read everything first.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2016 6:15 am    

Wiz Feinberg wrote:
I'm sorry I reposted your previous suggestions. I should have re-read everything first.

Not a problem, Wiz. You still be "da Man" in my book. Smile

Randy Schneider

SW New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2016 7:34 am    

Chances are that a DLL the program depends on is either corrupted or missing.

A program like Dependency Walker (or maybe Windows Sysinternals ListDLLs) would give you an idea of what DLLs the program requires to run. Things like Visual C++ runtime DLL packages can be downloaded and reinstalled fairly easily, but determining which DLL may be causing the problem, or which package the program requires, isn't a real easy task - even if you're a programmer and kind of understand how it's supposed to work.

Doing a web search, you see this same error has been encountered by many people with many different applications.

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2016 9:17 am    

Hi Randy, I did download dependency walker but I must say it isn't easy to understand. It did show that a dll wasn't to be found. But its plainly in the Best Practice directory. Thanks again for your help.

Tom Keller

Randy Schneider

SW New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2016 9:28 am    

Tom,

It's been a while since I've messed with any of that stuff, and I can't say I ever understood it all! But I do remember that with the 'redistributable' VC++ packages, a DLL can have the same name, but be the wrong 'version'. Basically, a program compiled under VC++ (and I don't know if Best Practice is/was) has to be able to find the specific version it was built for -- and that's why the packages were redistributable. It was the only way to make sure your program had the DLLs it wanted.

Not saying that's the problem in your case -- just passing along what I can remember from trying to untangle similar messes in the past.

There's a reason they call it "DLL hell".

Randy

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2016 1:39 pm    

Tom Keller wrote:
Hi Randy, I did download dependency walker but I must say it isn't easy to understand. It did show that a dll wasn't to be found. But its plainly in the Best Practice directory. Thanks again for your help.

Tom Keller

Okay, that's narrowing it down. Now, search your Windows and Windows\System32 directory and sub-directories for a DLL with the same name. If you find one, compare the time stamps. If you don't find one, copy and paste (don't move) your program DLL into C:\Windows System 32\. This places it in the established "path."

Let us know the results.

Randy Schneider

SW New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2016 1:50 pm    

Just for kicks, I loaded BP on my Vista machine. Dependency Walker shows that IESHIMS.dll isn't found, but the program runs anyway.

Then I loaded BP on my XP machine, and I get the same 'unable to initialize' error as Tom does. I'm pretty sure it is a dependency/version issue of some sort, but exactly what I don't know.

Interesting that the source tree for BP has a separate 'Win XP' manifest file.

Randy Schneider

SW New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2016 2:07 pm    

From
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/winsdk/2015/06/03/what-is-up-with-the-application-failed-to-initialize-properly-0xc0000142-error/

Quote:
If you are wondering what the error 0xc0000142 means in the above Message Box, you can find the error in ntstatus.h. It is STATUS_DLL_INIT_FAILED or “{DLL Initialization Failed} Initialization of the dynamic link library %hs failed. The process is terminating abnormally.”

The problem is determining what DLL dependency is causing the problem and/or why.

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2016 8:01 am    

Well David,Randy,Whiz, I followed your most recent advice and copied the akrip32.dll into windows 32 and rebooted the system and got the same error message. The difference this time is there was a windows crash message that I have copied below.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: bp.exe
Application Version: 1.0.9.118
Application Timestamp: 00000000
Fault Module Name: AKRIP32.DLL
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6002.19623
Fault Module Timestamp: 56ec36a2
Exception Code: c0000142
Exception Offset: 0006f7b3
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 9d13
Additional Information 2: 1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8
Additional Information 3: 9d13
Additional Information 4: 1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8

Thanks for your help Guys.

Tom Keller

Randy Schneider

SW New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2016 10:31 am    

Unlikely that it couldn't find AKRIP32 in the original case. The first place to be checked is the directory that the EXE resides in (or the 'start in' directory if using a desktop shortcut that lists a different one).

Just for kicks, I renamed the AKRIP32 file in the BP directory, and the error I got was "This application has failed to start because AKRIP32.DLL was not found." The notification specifically listed that file.