The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jackson Frypan, what's it worth?
Jerry Sherbahn

Georgetown, Tx
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2016 7:31 am    

Jackson Frypan, does anyone know about what it is worth? 24 1/2 scale, very nice condition, with hard shell case

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2016 6:15 pm     Frypan pricing...........

For the past several years, I've seen more than one listed for $1,000 +/-

Jerry Sherbahn

Georgetown, Tx
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2016 3:47 pm     Steel

Thanks Ray

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2016 7:42 pm    

I have the 10 string SHO-BUD frypan which is similar to the 8 shown. Shot turned out these guitars after he made the ORIGINAL JB models much to JB's annoyance. Seems Shot had agreed to destroy the original mould upon completion of the limited number he and JB agreed upon. However, apparently Shot decided to continue making them under the SHO-BUD name ?

Anyway, that's all 'history' now. Both have passed away.

The 10 string I have was made using the 8 string mould. Not good. The 1st and 10th strings are situated away from the neck (in mid-air) with no frets under either string ! (The 8 string neck is just too narrow for a 10 string layout). The improvement over the JB models was the p/u Shot installed....far superior to the (phoney) horse-shoe of the JB model.

Value ? Who knows ! I paid $900.00 for the 10 string many years ago. Legs were never included.

Eugene Cole

near Washington Grove, MD, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2016 4:19 pm     Re: Frypan pricing...........

Ray Montee wrote:
For the past several years, I've seen more than one listed for $1,000 +/-

I saw one sell for $700 (before tax) at some point within the last couple of years. But with any item which is limited supply it comes down to the demand at the point in time.

PixEnBar.com
Cole-Luthierie.com
FJ45.com

Sierra U14 8+5 my copedent, 1972 MSA D10 8+4, and nothing in the Bank. 8^)

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2016 4:34 pm    

This is a Jackson, not a ShoBud, and I suspect is quite a bit newer than all the guitars discussed above.

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2016 8:34 pm    

What's printed on the fretboard?

Eugene Cole

near Washington Grove, MD, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2016 9:48 am    

Ken Pippus wrote:
This is a Jackson, not a ShoBud, and I suspect is quite a bit newer than all the guitars discussed above.

Good point; the one I mentioned above had the fake horse-shoe pickup and was probably an earlier model.

PixEnBar.com
Cole-Luthierie.com
FJ45.com

Sierra U14 8+5 my copedent, 1972 MSA D10 8+4, and nothing in the Bank. 8^)

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2016 8:12 am    

I have a Sho~Bud/Jerry Byrd long scale frypan with JERRY BYRD on the fretboard.

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2016 6:57 pm    

George Keoki Lake wrote:
Shot turned out these guitars after he made the ORIGINAL JB models much to JB's annoyance. Seems Shot had agreed to destroy the original mould upon completion of the limited number he and JB agreed upon. However, apparently Shot decided to continue making them under the SHO-BUD name ?

...and now the Jackson brand is continuing the dishonest practices of Sho-Bud and their deal with Jerry Byrd,
It's a shame ... Evil or Very Mad
P.S. I preferred the original faux Horse-Shoe pickup.
Razz

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2016 9:01 pm    

There has been a lot of discussion here in the past about the original Jerry/Shot frypans and the later (unauthorized) ones that Shot made. The issue arose when two frypans showed up with the same serial number! I think Sho-Bud also continued issuing the JB certificate with the later frypans. Rumor has it that Bobbe Seymour acquired the molds when he purchased much of the remaining Sho-Bud stock in the 1980s. Not sure if that's true though. In any event, the Jackson Frypan here is a newer guitar.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2016 2:52 am    

Jerry Byrd has no connection or rights to the frypan shape, image or name. Rickenbacker (a known frivilous litigious entity...what an apt thing within this thread right?) might try to contest this but I think that the guitar shape legal issue has been put to rest years ago in the Telecaster and Les Paul wars.

Unless Jerry's name is on the headstock or the fretboard, there is nothing here the least bit troublesome. The history of the licensing and unethical behavior re: the overproduction of the Bud JB's is real and deeply messed up but this is not that (unless his name was snuck in on the fret markers). Shot is gone. Seymour is gone. Jackson is making some killer instruments.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2016 6:52 am    

I agree, Jon. The Jackson frypan has nothing to do with Jerry Byrd. The fret markers are "Shot Jackson", not "Jerry Byrd".

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2016 7:30 am    

Excel still produces and sells the "Jerry Byrd Frypan", both long and short scale.
After Shot and Jerry split sheets, Excel started building frypans for Jerry.

Jeff Spencer

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2016 5:30 am     No 79

Well I have no 79 JB Frypan. I love it! Has a unique tone. I know some people hate them but not me. As to the value? Whatever it's worth to you. I went to a lot of effort to get mine from England( pre purchased months in advance to be picked up while on holiday. I then played it at the Irish Steel Guitar Festival) I do consider the tone control to be in less than desirable position as I seem to be always bumping or working my palm around it. Also need to change out the capacitator to get a better 'sweep' mine is the far left. Sorry for the inverted pic.

Hugh Roche

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2017 4:18 pm     frypan

here is a boot leg A 7 string Shot made with a prismatone.

Jim Mckay

New Zealand
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2017 9:05 pm    

Hi Larry. I have an Excel frypan same as the one you have here. They are excellent guitars made by Mitsuo Fujii of "Fuzzy Guitars" Japan. I understand Jerry went to Mitsuo to make these guitars after he fell out with Shot. Mitsuo also made the Excel double neck console that Jerry Byrd played. I thought if Jerry Byrd thought they are excellent guitars then that's good enough for me.
My guitar was made on order in 2013 no.267 and come with the same case as yours and also 22" neck.
Check on the underside by the top of the tuners as mine has a small logo with "Fuzzy Steel Guitar Co" on it.
P.S. Mitsuo is a very fine fellow to deal with and has built a lot of fine guitars.

Jim Mckay

New Zealand
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2017 9:09 pm    

Sorry wrong post.I meant to put this on Larry Lenhart's post

Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2017 4:24 am    

It's interesting to see folks comment with such certainty on Shot's and the Jacksons' business practices.

I worked at Sho-Bud 1979-83, and the Frypans were made at that time. I sanded the backplates for many of the Frypans.

Kathy Sacra worked at Sho-Bud at that time too. In fact, she shipped and kept the royalty records on all the Frypans.

Kathy told me Jerry was paid for every one of them.

I found Shot and the Jacksons to be scrupulously honest, fair and generous people.

On the other hand, Jerry Byrd wrote about his pattern of difficult relationships in his book. And I understand Jerry is remembered this way by members of the steel guitar community in Hawaii.

FWIW, there was no basement at the Sho-Bud store on Broadway. There was a ground floor, a mezzanine and a second floor. The showroom was mostly on the ground floor, with some instruments on the mezzanine. Also on the mezzanine were the electronics repair department and the shipping department. The repair department was on the second floor.