The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Louisville Steel Guitar-Don’t let this happen to your Club
Danny Hammers

Danny & Patricia of Floral City, Florida formerly of Fairdale KY.
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2016 10:54 am    

Louisville Metro Steel Guitar Club
Don’t let this happen to your steel club.

. It was a very hard decision to temporarily close the Louisville Metro Steel Guitar Club website and Facebook pages. It seems the Louisville Steel Guitar Club has turned into a country music singing club, A few meetings back there were 26 singers, and the Sept. meeting had 20 singers, all that in 2 ½ hour meetings, and only having about 5 at the most that could sing without breaking meter. No one ask the steel player what he wanted to play. This came from qualified people that were there.

paragraph
. Steel guitar clubs are a great place for steel players to get together for fellowship, pick a mentor's brain, get more knowledge about the instrument, and most of all have the opportunity to play with a real band. Also if they so choose, to play behind a good singer of his choice. Many like to play solos. Mainly the choice is up to the steel player on stage.

. Many years ago, (1986) I became friends with Joe Crow who became CEO of the Louisville Steel Club. We double dated with Joe and his to be wife Linda and me and my wife to be Pat. Pat was a school bus driver and Linda was her aid. He was playing at a nightclub in Shively, Ky. We talked a lot about a steel club. He was the guy that I wanted to pick his brain. Joe was a great picker. And the above paragraph is mostly what we talked about. The clubs and associations I’m a member of now, seem to do it that way. However in late 1987 I had to move to Ohio. International Harvester called me back to work. Steel guitar took a backseat for a few years.

. Louisville Steel Club seemed to go the route of the above paragraph, with changes down through the years. The steel player would invite people to sing, if he or she wanted. The club wanting to do something for the singer's let them become members. Later anyone could be a member. I don’t know when but the singers and anyone members outnumbered the steel players. And now NONE of the officers are steel players. So the vice president lets the steel guitarist play a song, then takes over the show. He calls on the singers and the steel player must be able to play the song and in the key the singer needs.

. Seems strange that our officer election was held when many of our steel players were attending a steel jam in Indianapolis, Indiana. Also the length of the meeting was shortened to 2 1/2 hours. The survey results was very vague to change the length of the meeting.

This is not a steel guitar club any more.

For any responses, post here or please send to: DannyHammers@gmail.com
Life Member of R.O.P.E. (Reunion Of Professional Entertainers) , NTSGA, GaSGA, PSGA, ASGA, MSGC, LMSGC, OzarkSGA

Last edited by Danny Hammers on 18 Oct 2016 6:01 am; edited 6 times in total

Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2016 11:39 am    

Danny
So sorry to hear this. A steel guitar club or association need not be overrun by wanna be singers. It is a steel guitar club, not a live karaoke event! If we are to preserve the presence and integrity of the steel guitar, we must keep our instrument first!! I have seen some so called "jams" that are nothing more than a bunch of "singers", many of whom never worked with a band, and the band is pretty much ignored to the "glory" of the vocalists. Sorry if I have stepped on some toes, but what has occurred in Louisville could happen anywhere.

Billy

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2016 9:10 pm     Steel Show

Don't get me started on Steel Shows. Most all of them have forgotten their purpose, The Steel..
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2016 5:34 am    

Here Here
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Jim Thompson

Washington, Pa. USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2016 1:58 pm    

Yep. Happened here too.

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2016 4:20 pm    

There are Two Steel Guitar Organization I Rhode Island and Anna and I started both of them.When the Steel players play there is always a band and diffrent one's get up to sing depending how many are there to get up and sing.I will tell you right now singers do not take overe in either Organization because the one's running it now will not let the singers take over.The singers get up and do Two(2)songs each and that is it.They are Steel Guitar Shows not a singers show.That will not happen in RISGA or NESGA the Steel players will not let it happen.Anna and I started them and they were run right and they are being run right now and will always be run buy the Steel Guitar Players.I promise you that because I will not let it happen.Our two Organizations are both chartered with the State of Rhode Island and I'm the founder of both of them and it will remain what it was intended for the Steel Guitar Players.Any one that trys to change it to singers will not be able to because the members will throw them out or I will.End of story.
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2016 9:45 am    

Danny, I'm glad you brought this to light.
I have some things to say but I won't get into it here because it concerns only a tiny percentage of the global forum populace and this board is primarily about announcing upcoming events.

This is a recurring problem across the country and one of the main reasons I have stopped going to the shows and I'd say to the promoters and planners, take control and realize that the purpose of these clubs is to push forward the steel guitar in any and all ways possible and is not to be just another backup instrument on just another country music show.

I understand the Texas show is one of the shows that is still giving honor and priority to the steel guitar and I hope one day I can make one of those. Kudos to those other ones that are keeping the instrumental steel guitar, regardless of the style of music featured, the focus of their events.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2016 12:47 pm    

isn't there enough karaoke bars already where people can go and sing, why would they need to go to the steel guitar clubs???

Jim Gillyard

Me and Don Helms Ocala, Florida
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2016 8:14 am    

Danny, I am so sorry to hear this. I know how you feel about steel guitar clubs. Keep your faith that it will all work out.

Your old buddy
Jim
Nashville Tennessee Steel Guitar Association
Manasota Steel Guitar Club of Florida

odell bowen

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2016 4:37 pm    

when I AS A GUITAR PLAYER GOES TO A STEEL SHOW ALL I WANT TO HEAR IS STEEL GUITAR, BASS AND DRUMS. I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANY OTHER INSTRUMENTS PLAYING. PLEASE NO SINGING, LEAD GUITAR, FIDDLE, PIANO, ETC

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2016 6:41 pm    

I've seen some VERY talented singers perform at steel shows and jams. Good singers tend to break up the monotony of 23 verses of "A Way To Survive." Put in place, clear ground rules for all musicians and singers and your event will be a success for everyone concerned. Singers (and audiences) love steel guitar, just as much as steel players.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2016 8:09 pm    

Since this isn't an Event Announcement, I've moved it to the Steel Players section of the Forum.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2016 1:56 am    

We have kept our Florida Steel Guitar Club from being overrun with singers from the start. We do have an occasional vocal but mostly its all steel. There were no singers at our club jam this month.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2016 5:24 am    

Danny, I realize you have many years of history and sweat into the club, so my suggestion may be harder emotionally than to actually do. But I'd suggest those who feel as you do simply start a new organization and construct its operation as you wish it to be.

Let the singers have the old club and name, as difficult as that may be, and you have the fun. Maybe just start by meeting informally on the given night instead of going to the other gathering - you may be surprised at how taking a step back to when the group started out helps you focus on where you want to be.

Last edited by Don R Brown on 27 Oct 2016 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2016 4:02 am     Portland Oregon Steel Jams

Some good news on this thread - in Portland, OR, the twice yearly steel jams consist of 20+ steelers and a live band. They are put together mainly by Larry Behm, and are a fun and learning time for all.

Thank you, Larry!!!!!!!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2016 5:08 am     Re: Louisville Steel Guitar-Don’t let this happen to your

Danny Hammers wrote:
It was a very hard decision to temporarily close the Louisville Metro Steel Guitar Club website and Facebook pages. It seems the Louisville Steel Guitar Club has turned into a country music singing club, A few meetings back there were 26 singers, and the Sept. meeting had 20 singers, all that in 2 ½ hour meetings, and only having about 5 at the most that could sing without breaking meter. No one ask the steel player what he wanted to play. This came from qualified people that were there.

my2cents:

You just have to learn to say "No". Somewhere along the line, someone must have thought that more members would make it a better club, and that was the big mistake. If singers wanted to come to the meetings, that should have been tempered with the premise that it was a player's organization. It should have been stated that board members would have to be steel players. Singers could show up, and if circumstances permitted, they would be allowed to sing one song, but only four or five singers would be able able to participate at each gathering. You set up what you thought was a good organization, but you failed to set and maintain proper guidelines, so the whole thing eventually went to hell.

It happens. Oh Well

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2016 7:54 am    

Danny,
I'm sorry for what happened to your steel club. It's nice of you to warn other steel clubs about how it can go if they are not careful.

What I would do is let the steel club go and enjoy it for what it is now. If the singers get too demanding they may need to start paying a steel player to put up with them !

I think the advice of getting together with friends and doing a little round robin style jam is great. They can be allot of fun.

Danny Hammers

Post  Posted 4 Nov 2016 1:26 pm    

Thanks everyone for your input and feelings on this and for your time.

Thanks b0b for moving, I was not sure where to post it.

Danny
Life Member of R.O.P.E. (Reunion Of Professional Entertainers) , NTSGA, GaSGA, PSGA, ASGA, MSGC, LMSGC, OzarkSGA

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2016 3:00 pm    

Reminds me of Beyonce being at the CMA awards Smile

John Davis

Cambridge, U.K.
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2016 11:58 pm    

This is very sad I loved this club, only visited it once and they made me so welcome, I do hope they will get it sorted and put Steel Guitar back on top.

Danny Hammers

Post  Posted 6 Nov 2016 1:55 pm    

Letter from Ed xxxxxx

G'Morning brother Danny!

I'm so disappointed to learn about the Louisville SteelClub being lost to and overrun by intrusive musicians/singers...but, this does seem to be a growing fad, in this country, with so many clubs, organizations, and offices. This I'm sure, is not news to you, but it is unfortunate that folks will not step up and call out these types of actions, from fear of being labeled. I'm praying for you, you're fellows and this country! God bless you in your efforts to oppose these clandestine invaders, and thanks for the invitation to respond to your thread!
Sincerely
Ed

Kent Salmon

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2016 10:05 am    

Here is a Rebuttal Letter from Bill Thompson, Vice President, Louisville Metro Steel Guitar Club.
Thank You
Kent Salmon, Secretary

November 9, 2016
Subject: LMSGC VP Rebuttal to Danny Hammers

TO: All interested steel guitar players and fans wherever you are. It just came to my attention today that Danny Hammers (whom I have never met or spoken to) posted on the internet the following information about our Louisville Steel Guitar Club (LMSGC):

“Louisville Metro Steel Guitar Club
Don’t let this happen to your steel club.

It was a very hard decision to temporarily close the Louisville Metro Steel Guitar Club website and Facebook pages. It seems the Louisville Steel Guitar Club has turned into a country music singing club, A few meetings back there were 26 singers, and the Sept. meeting had 20 singers, all that in 2 ½ hour meetings, and only having about 5 at the most that could sing without breaking meter. No one ask the steel player what he wanted to play. This came from qualified people that were there.

paragraph
. Steel guitar clubs are a great place for steel players to get together for fellowship, pick a mentor's brain, get more knowledge about the instrument, and most of all have the opportunity to play with a real band. Also if they so choose, to play behind a good singer of his choice. Many like to play solos. Mainly the choice is up to the steel player on stage.

. Many years ago, (1986) I became friends with Joe Crow who became CEO of the Louisville Steel Club. We double dated with Joe and his to be wife Linda and me and my wife to be Pat. Pat was a school bus driver and Linda was her aid. He was playing at a nightclub in Shively, Ky. We talked a lot about a steel club. He was the guy that I wanted to pick his brain. Joe was a great picker. And the above paragraph is mostly what we talked about. The clubs and associations I’m a member of now, seem to do it that way. However in late 1987 I had to move to Ohio. International Harvester called me back to work. Steel guitar took a backseat for a few years.

. Louisville Steel Club seemed to go the route of the above paragraph, with changes down through the years. The steel player would invite people to sing, if he or she wanted. The club wanting to do something for the singer's let them become members. Later anyone could be a member. I don’t know when but the singers and anyone members outnumbered the steel players. And now NONE of the officers are steel players. So the vice president lets the steel guitarist play a song, then takes over the show. He calls on the singers and the steel player must be able to play the song and in the key the singer needs.

. Seems strange that our officer election was held when many of our steel players were attending a steel jam in Indianapolis, Indiana. Also the length of the meeting was shortened to 2 1/2 hours. The survey resultswas very vague to change the length of the meeting.

This is not a steel guitar club any more. “

In addition to this post, many other people posted comments.

Unfortunately, to my knowledge Danny Hammers has only attended 1 or 2 of our meetings in the last 10 years (maybe because he lives in Florida) and apparently does not know the many changes that have taken place with the Louisville Metro steel players since 1987:

1. There may be a total of 25 known proficient steel players left in the Louisville Metro area. (Only 13 of these are even members of the LMSGC). Only 2 or 3 new players are known to have taken up the steel guitar in the last 10 years.
2. There are only about 10 (counting members and non-members) steel players left that will ever even attend a meeting, and usually only 1 or 2 show up.
3. There are only about 10 steel players that will ever say “yes” when asked to play (some are unable to get around easily).
4. All of these 10 steel players (that may play) have stated that they like to have singers after they do a few instrumentals.
5. The survey done by the membership clearly preferred some singers instead of just instrumentals.

When the election of officers was held, only one known LMSGC steel player was in Indianapolis and he had stated he wanted to hold no office after being VP for 9 years.
It is almost impossible to get anyone to serve as an officer.

I always tell the steel players that they can play all the instrumentals they want to play. If they want no singers that would be okay, but very unlikely.

It is entirely wrong that the length of the meeting was reduced to 2.5 hours. The meeting hours are from 2 to 5 p.m. as set forth in the original bylaws.

All of the current officers are accomplished musicians and singers and the Secretary has been playing steel guitar for 10 years.

We have not heard one complaint from the steel players, who have played at a meeting, about having too many singers.

A year ago, it appeared that the LMSGC was ready to dissolve, but now it appears to have gotten a “second wind” with its new location and increased attendance. It will not survive, however, if no one will step forward to serve as officers in the future (next July).

The additional comments on the internet about this subject indicate that many, if not most, other Steel Guitar Clubs are moving in the direction of more singers, which makes it seem to me that LMSGC is not too far away from what many other clubs are doing.

I would be pleased to see any response to this post. My email address is: bthom19738@aol.com or post on the Steel Guitar Forum.

Respectfully,
Bill Thompson
Vice President

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2016 12:38 pm    

If most of the active members aren't steel players, maybe this could all be solved by changing the name of the club.

Danny Hammers

Post  Posted 11 Nov 2016 10:57 am    

I will not dignify Mr. Thompson’s rebuttal with a rebuttal. It seems to be full of half and non-truths. The steel players and old members are the ones I care about and they know the truth. I may live in Florida, but I seem to be getting a lot of phone calls from Louisville.

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Danny, I'm glad you brought this to light.
I have some things to say but I won't get into it here because it concerns only a tiny percentage of the global forum populace and this board is primarily about announcing upcoming events.

This is a recurring problem across the country and one of the main reasons I have stopped going to the shows and I'd say to the promoters and planners, take control and realize that the purpose of these clubs is to push forward the steel guitar in any and all ways possible and is not to be just another backup instrument on just another country music show.

I understand the Texas show is one of the shows that is still giving honor and priority to the steel guitar and I hope one day I can make one of those. Kudos to those other ones that are keeping the instrumental steel guitar, regardless of the style of music featured, the focus of their events.
This was from a member that played as many or more LMSGC meetings than anyone.

Years ago (more than 10), I built a web site for our club, at no charge to the club. I’m paying for hosting and the domain every year. Years ago I was given an honorary membership, which I felt very honored to have received. Although living in Florida, I am no less a member or no less concerned or no less interested in our steel guitar club.

Thank you
Danny

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2016 11:18 am    

It's always sad to see these shows ending and even the biggest of them closed but not for the same reason as the focal point of this thread. Attendance or lacking of it. But the Loss of Scotty himself had a lot to do with it. I had the privilege of being at Scotty's dinner the last show I attended, I want to say 2011. Smiley asked me to go to do a couple of Songs on his set. I should say that I attended 9 shows through the years. I feel that not all Steel players have the ability to play 1/2 hours of Solos. Especially the ones who have done nothing but back up singers most of their lives. For years when asked to do a solo they had maybe two or three songs that were in their solo catalog they stuck to for years. I've seen shows where the same song was played by I/2 of the players. So in such a case they brought the singer that works with them to help out. I have done many of Bill Hankeys Steel bashes as a MC and sang on sets that the player invited me too. I always picked songs that had great steel breaks Steel intros and outtros.. I always knew why I was asked to do the shows. I did about 1/2 of the 22 years Hankey did them. Tho I lived in Florida I did the last 3 of them and stopped in Nashville to pick up Smiley. There were always singers there or wanna be's but if I couldn't get some or any history from Bill they did not get up. If the steel player needs a singer it should be up to him to bring his own. Jim Smith and Jim Gurley use to bring me along for the Dekley shows in NY and I did maybe a few songs while MCing the show and featuring the Guitar. Any show that needs an audience to succeed financially needs to restrict the karaoke type,or singers who the player does not know.Thus it becomes a Jam instead of a Show... Most steelers that attend bring their wives or friends and after being charged at the door should only have the show be as professional as it's intent. Major shows like the PSGA and the Texas show do exactly that. The Fla. Club should be commended because it is a non commercial club that features it's members. They have the room donated and as far as I know charge nothing to get in. They have singers available in the band if needed. I have attended a couple but not able to drive at night limits me going anywhere. My personal opinion is each show should police itself and do what they need to exist. I attend shows because I love the instrument and meet old friends at the shows who play them. Good luck Brother Danny hope you guys resume again. Just one opinion.