The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rip Lou Giroux
Pete Young

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2016 12:36 pm    

Just got word that Lou Giroux passed in his sleep last night. He has been sick for many years now after a bad stroke He was one of the best that Montreal ever saw

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2016 10:48 pm    

Wow, sorry to hear this. I've never met Lou, but his wife Anne is a good friend of mine. She looked after him for all these years.

Neil Flanz

Austin, Texas (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2016 11:22 am    

I just heard of this from Lou's son, Jeff and was saddened by the news. My condolences go out to the entire Giroux family. Jeff's mother, Anne (deceased) was a lifelong friend who dearly loved pedal steel. Lou, who was an excellent player, was originally from Kenora, Ontario and later played in the Winnipeg area before relocating to Montreal.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2016 2:35 pm    

Neil, Anne is deceased? I had no idea, I'm shocked and saddened, we were tight buds at a St. Louis convention many moons ago. If you have the whole story, please email me. Thanks!

Jerry Fessenden

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2016 2:14 am     Lou Giroux

Lou was a great friend and one of the best players . He knew all the Nashville stuff as well as doing great Montreal Sessions . He showed me everything that I asked about. If you wanted something played on a session he would always get the right phrases , etc. I have several tapes from yrs ago that are some of the best. Ronnie Dann , also was from Montreal and passed too soon . Both are a huge loss to the Canadian music scene. I also put off calling Anne until too late , so sorry for these losses.

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2016 9:10 am    

Lou & Ron were great friends and stellar musicians. Ron taught me and referenced Lou often and Neil also, Another passing of the guard...RIP!

ollie strong

penetang ontario can.
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2016 5:30 am    

Lou was the first steel player I worked with. We (my X and I) did the northern Ontario circuit as well as southern Ontario for about 2 1/2 years back in 1964 to 1967. Had many great times.
Great steel player amd a good friend. Did not know Anne had passed away as well.
They will both be missed. Rae Strong[/b]

Jimmy Steelman

Ontario, Canada and Florida, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2016 11:33 am    

A friend just told me about Lou's passing; we were great friends back in the day. When I worked in Montreal we became really good friends with Lou and his wife. The world has lost a top-drawer steel player.