The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tumnus pedal users
David Cook

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2016 3:32 pm    

Can anyone compare the Tumnus to the Earth Drive. I have the Earth Drive and was wondering if I they are fairly similar. I am looking to use it for lap steel into a 20 watt tube amp. Today a guitar player that I respect said that if I try the Tumnus that I will have to have it. I think that it is a Wampler pedal and I hope that I am spelling it right

Thanks

Chris Grigsby

Boulder, CO
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2016 6:51 pm    

I can't compare to the Earth Drive, but I have a Tumnus and can concur that it is a phenomenal overdrive and clean boost. It works especially well in conjunction with a bit of your amp's inherent overdrive, so it would probably be perfect with a 20W amp.

There are quite a few demos online you could check out, such as this one by Brad Wampler himself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W3YDRnzZ3w

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2016 8:58 am    

I am curious about this pedal as well. really want to see how it compares to the Earth Drive and also the Timmy pedal.I love the earth drive pedal. all Brad's stuff is great. Brian Wampler also makes great pedals, his Faux Analog delay is easily my favorite delay for pedal steel.

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2016 12:46 pm    

As I understand it, the Tumnus by Wampler, the Oxblood by Keeley, the Soul Food by EH, JHS, Pedalmonsters Klone, ARC Effects Klone, Soul Sonic Illuminated Overdrive, J Rockett Archer, and literally dozens of pedal makers are now cloning the famous Klon circuit. They are each doing slightly different things with this proven circuit, but generally they are all a Klon clone variant.

The Klon circuit is very cool and versatile. It kind of does two things, and I think this is what makes it special. As you turn down the drive, it gets very clean and blends in a bright, sparkly clean signal. As you turn up the drive, it not only reduces the blend of clean and adds more of the dirty signal, but it also increases the amount of drive-dirt and also pushes the midrange in a way similar to the tubescreamer but even MORE midrangey, right at about 1kHz. So you have this complex blend of sparkly-clean and super-midrangey-dirty. Some use the Klon (or clones) as a clean, barely-dirty boost - probably what it's most famous for, but also for heavier drive tones.

To contrast it with the Earth Drive, the overall EQ shape or voicing of the Earth Drive is more broad, more bottom end, more open top end and a far, far less extreme midrange boost. The Earth Drive is a very different circuit and approach, but strangely it gets compared to the Klon-types because it does well as a barely-dirty, quite transparent kind of pedal that has a lot of boost-level on hand.

They sound different and feel different, but strangely get similar results in a few respects. If interested in a Klon clone, there are plenty of shootouts and comparisons to be found on youtube. LOTS of offerings in that department.

B

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2016 2:14 pm    

thanks for chiming in Brad ! It almost sounds like the sparkle drive could get a similar tone to the Klone pedals ? I LOVE my earth drive for pedal steel, but lately I've been using it with my Gretsch hollowbody 6118 and it sounds incredible into my fender princeton. I'm not so crazy about the sparkle drive as it doesnt retain the guitar's tone like the earth drive does. Was going to try the Timmy or the Tumnus for something different (I've heard good things about the Tumnus into a tube amp) but I may be hitting you up for another earth drive instead Smile