The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help! How to remove EmieBrowserModeList
Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2016 1:36 pm    

This is a browser hijacker that allows malicious pop-ups and can redirect any browser on your system. I have searched and searched and have found one site that explains how to remove this manually. It did not work. Any other site is trying to sell me Spy Hunter to remove it. I have manually removed everything I can find related to this,run Malware Bytes and their root kit removal tool, Avast virus scan, and MS Malicious Software Removal tool. It shows up on reboot. Any suggestions? I don't want to reformat and reload everything, and it turns out this is in my only system image. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2016 2:46 pm    

If your computer runs Windows, try using System Restore to a date before the BHO appeared. If successful, run Windows Updates and update your security programs again, as they may be rolled back in time.

If the BHO is in Internet Exploder, set the security to not allow third party extensions. This is found under Internet Options. For any other browser, find it in the list of toolbars or add-ons and uninstall it.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2016 2:48 pm    

I just found an old topic on Bleeping Computer dealing with removal of this threat.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2016 3:03 pm    

Since you have MBAM, make sure that the scan options are set to detect and delete PUPs and PUMs

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2016 4:11 pm    

Wiz Feinberg wrote:
Since you have MBAM, make sure that the scan options are set to detect and delete PUPs and PUMs

I don't enjoy throwing a wet blanket on the party, but one of the main reasons I stopped using MBAM is because of all the "PUP" hits, the majority of which I needed to keep - false positives. It just wasn't worth the hassle. When it gets to that point, it's time to go another direction.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2016 7:40 pm    

Dave Potter wrote:
Wiz Feinberg wrote:

I don't enjoy throwing a wet blanket on the party, but one of the main reasons I stopped using MBAM is because of all the "PUP" hits, the majority of which I needed to keep - false positives. It just wasn't worth the hassle. When it gets to that point, it's time to go another direction.

The original program that specifically targeted PUPs and PUMs was Spybot Search and Destroy. I used it for years. The database was updated very frequently and false positives were reported and corrected quickly.

Late to the game, the newest version of Microsoft/Windows Defender now detects and quarantines PUPs and PUMs and reverses their effects.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2016 5:29 am    

Wiz Feinberg wrote:
The original program that specifically targeted PUPs and PUMs was Spybot Search and Destroy.

I also used Spybot, but don't remember it for that. I still use some of the current Spybot's features occasionally.

I tried just about everything out there, but all that was years ago. I could swear MBAM was big on PUPs, but might be confusing it with Spybot. I've settled on the Microsoft offerings, firewall and anti-spyware; they seem adequate, and the price is certainly reasonable.