INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

How do you like it now? (Details)



Post new topic Sonar 8 New PC Problem
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sonar 8 New PC Problem
Bob Snelgrove


From:
san jose, ca
Post Posted 14 Aug 2016 4:36 pm     Reply with quote

I can't get Sonar 8 to work on my new PC. I have a gigabyte MB with built in Soundblaster Recon 3Di pro.

The problem is trying to record a steel track while playing back an audio file; the audio file plays back on the steel track.

Jack is helping me on the Sonar forum but I thought I would try here t too.

My 10 year old PC had an M-audio Pro 2496 sound card and it worked great. Thinking of taking it out of the old pc if that would help?

thx

bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Jack Stoner


From:
Inverness, Fl
Post Posted 15 Aug 2016 2:41 am     Reply with quote

I get a better picture now.

The internal PC sound card is basically "terrible" for recording. High latency, for one thing. You will be out of sync with the audio file because of the high latency.

What you need to do is import the audio file to a track in Sonar. Then you play that audio track and record on another. However, I still don't know if the internal sound card can do this.

I don't know if old M-Audio sound card will work in the new PC, unless it is PCIe type, NOT PCI (most new motherboards that have a PCI slow are not true PCI slots, but rather bridged to the PCIe bus and many PCI cards will not work or work properly with a bridged PCI slot. Second, I assume Windows 10 on the new PC and the M-Audio may not be Win 10 compatible.

Best option is to get a USB connected recording interface. There are some inexpensive two channel ones that won't break the bank.

This applies to any recording program, not just Sonar 8.
_________________
Franklin D-10, Hilton VP, POD X3, MatchBro, SG Black Box, Carvin BX500, EPS-15C, Sonar DAW but migrating to Studio One 3, MOTU 896mk3 Hybrid
R.O.P.E. Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Bob Snelgrove


From:
san jose, ca
Post Posted 15 Aug 2016 6:04 am     Reply with quote

Jack Stoner wrote:
I get a better picture now.

The internal PC sound card is basically "terrible" for recording. High latency, for one thing. You will be out of sync with the audio file because of the high latency.

What you need to do is import the audio file to a track in Sonar. Then you play that audio track and record on another. However, I still don't know if the internal sound card can do this.

I don't know if old M-Audio sound card will work in the new PC, unless it is PCIe type, NOT PCI (most new motherboards that have a PCI slow are not true PCI slots, but rather bridged to the PCIe bus and many PCI cards will not work or work properly with a bridged PCI slot. Second, I assume Windows 10 on the new PC and the M-Audio may not be Win 10 compatible.

Best option is to get a USB connected recording interface. There are some inexpensive two channel ones that won't break the bank.

This applies to any recording program, not just Sonar 8.


Any recommendations for a decent USB interface?

thx

bob
_________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRwye98siA4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZlAdlrRYj0

http://www.reverbnation.com/bobsnelgrove

1978 Crawford Emmons P/P
1976 Tommy White P/P
1986 Franklin D-10
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Jack Stoner


From:
Inverness, Fl
Post Posted 15 Aug 2016 6:26 am     Reply with quote

There are several two channel interfaces available.
Here is one (Presonus) at Sweetwater
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxUSB

There's many others, just depends on what you want to spend for one. An upgrade would be the Focusrite's which have better (lower) latency, such as this one (which I like better than Presonus).

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlet2i2G2
_________________
Franklin D-10, Hilton VP, POD X3, MatchBro, SG Black Box, Carvin BX500, EPS-15C, Sonar DAW but migrating to Studio One 3, MOTU 896mk3 Hybrid
R.O.P.E. Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Bob Snelgrove


From:
san jose, ca
Post Posted 15 Aug 2016 7:39 am     Reply with quote

Jack Stoner wrote:
There are several two channel interfaces available.
Here is one (Presonus) at Sweetwater
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxUSB

There's many others, just depends on what you want to spend for one. An upgrade would be the Focusrite's which have better (lower) latency, such as this one (which I like better than Presonus).

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlet2i2G2


I'm used to havin a 3 band EQ on my eurorack mx-602a. I practice my steel through that into the PC and record, too. Do I need a real mixer?

bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Bob Snelgrove


From:
san jose, ca
Post Posted 15 Aug 2016 8:24 am     Reply with quote

This would be a modern version of what I use now:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Q802USB?adpos=1o2&creative=55678035481&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQjw0MW9BRDxtYTn2_S699MBEiQAw33y4z4ADUm4irZhnyPZmhLEPbQVzbO7GQwZ9MQiazBqt_8aAjCS8P8HAQ

Would I still need a soundcard?

bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Jack Stoner


From:
Inverness, Fl
Post Posted 15 Aug 2016 8:50 am     Reply with quote

With a regular recording interface unit, most have a direct instrument input and you wouldn't need an external mixer. However, you could still use the mixer, and run the output to the recording interface unit. Or, you can even mic an amplifier and connect the mic to the recording interface unit.

Many options.

Here is the Focusrite web page for the 2i2. It shows some application examples.
_________________
Franklin D-10, Hilton VP, POD X3, MatchBro, SG Black Box, Carvin BX500, EPS-15C, Sonar DAW but migrating to Studio One 3, MOTU 896mk3 Hybrid
R.O.P.E. Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Bob Snelgrove


From:
san jose, ca
Post Posted 17 Aug 2016 5:57 am     Reply with quote

Jack Stoner wrote:
With a regular recording interface unit, most have a direct instrument input and you wouldn't need an external mixer. However, you could still use the mixer, and run the output to the recording interface unit. Or, you can even mic an amplifier and connect the mic to the recording interface unit.

Many options.

Here is the Focusrite web page for the 2i2. It shows some application examples.


Jack,

Can you post that link? It didn't come through.

thx

bob
_________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRwye98siA4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZlAdlrRYj0

http://www.reverbnation.com/bobsnelgrove

1978 Crawford Emmons P/P
1976 Tommy White P/P
1986 Franklin D-10
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Michael Butler


From:
California, USA
Post Posted 22 Aug 2016 2:31 pm     Reply with quote

i think he was going to send you this support page. you'll still have to make sure that the videos you view are for the 2i2.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb

hope this helps. a friend has one and it is very easy to use.

play music!
_________________
please see my Snakeskin's Virtual Music Museum below.

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Bob Snelgrove


From:
san jose, ca
Post Posted 22 Aug 2016 3:53 pm     Reply with quote

I bought the new M-Audio 2x2 Interface and am disappointed with the gain. I have to run the gain literally all the way up regardless of the steel plugged directly in, my Zoom Multistomp, which is my normal direct recording device, a CAD GXL 2200 Condenser mic or my ipod turned all the way up.

I hate not having any headroom!

bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Rick Campbell


From:
Sneedville, TN, USA
Post Posted 22 Aug 2016 5:37 pm     Reply with quote

Bob Snelgrove wrote:
I bought the new M-Audio 2x2 Interface and am disappointed with the gain. I have to run the gain literally all the way up regardless of the steel plugged directly in, my Zoom Multistomp, which is my normal direct recording device, a CAD GXL 2200 Condenser mic or my ipod turned all the way up.

I hate not having any headroom!

bob


I think you've probably got a configuration problem of some kind. You should have plenty of gain with a knob setting of 12:00-2:00 o'clock position. There might be an M Audio software interface that you have to tweak out to adjust the input and output levels. Also, check your computer setup to make sure it's recognizing the M-Audio as your audio IO device. It's usually a simple fix once you figure it out. Good luck with it.

I use Presonus hardware and Presonus Studio One DAW because I know that they are designed to work together.

RC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Jack Stoner


From:
Inverness, Fl
Post Posted 23 Aug 2016 2:12 am     Reply with quote

I don't know about the M-Audio unit (exactly what model?) but many two channel models have one channel for instrument level and another for mic or Line. If yours has this, make sure you are using the instrument level input.

Had you settled on the suggested Focusrite unit you wouldn't be having this trouble.

On the Sonar forum, one was promoting the Steinberg unit. I had a Steinberg UR44 and sold it, as I needed more channels. But, if I had it to do over I wouldn't buy a Steinberg as their registration/activation is overly complicated and requires installing their activation program. Other companies do not do this.
_________________
Franklin D-10, Hilton VP, POD X3, MatchBro, SG Black Box, Carvin BX500, EPS-15C, Sonar DAW but migrating to Studio One 3, MOTU 896mk3 Hybrid
R.O.P.E. Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Tony Prior


From:
Charlotte NC..
Post Posted 24 Aug 2016 1:46 am     Reply with quote

Another thing to consider, not every INTERFACE is a preamp , every interface is an INTERFACE to connect audio signal from the outside world to the PC. While many interfaces have some gain /level controls they may not be adequate for what you are wanting to do.

As Jack states most if not all audio preamps or combo Interface/preamp will have LINE and MIC inputs or the gain stages are more than adequate for a strong signal with plenty of headroom.

What exact model interface do you have ? ( model #) Lets go back to this and take a look. How about a picture ?


For example: Maybe you need a preamp up front.

Steel > preamp > interface (with level control) > DAW


I personally have 3 or 4 different PREAMPS , each has a multitude of gain/input options , each of those is fed to an M Audio PCI Card Interface which feeds the DAW. Yes I could plug directly into the M Audio PCI interface but the gain would be too low for any useful tracking.
_________________
<b>Steel Guitar music here >>> http://www.tprior.com/five.htm</b>

Emmons Steels, Fender Telecasters
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website

All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Jump to:  

Our Online Catalog
Strings, CDs, instruction,
steel guitars & accessories

www.SteelGuitarShopper.com

Steel Guitar Music
Instrumental steel guitar CDs for your permanent collection
www.SteelGuitarMusic.com

BIAB Styles
Ray Price Shuffles
for Band-in-a-Box

by Jim Baron

Please review our Forum Rules and Policies

The Steel Guitar Forum
148 South Cloverdale Blvd.
Cloverdale, CA 95425 USA

Support This Forum