The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitars of Nashville - Hendersonville, TN
Larry Cohen

Oshkosh, WI, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2016 5:54 am    

This thread is specific to my recent experience at Steel Guitars Nashville, Hendersonville, TN. It is both a thank you and a shout out to Tyler Hall, Bob Hempher and Michelle for their awesome hospitality, patience and pedal steel expertise. Both my Legrande and Legrande 11 needed some serious work - issues I’ve been putting off for close to 3 years. Finally, I decided it was time to get these guitars working the way they were meant to work. So I called Tyler @ SGN on Monday morning, not knowing it was CMA week. I explained some of the problems I was having. Tyler said if I could be there by 10am Wednesday he would clear his work area for my guitars. So I put both in the car and drove the 10plus hours to TN. This time I was taking no chances; when the guitars were finished I wanted to be there in person to play each one. Upon arriving Wednesday Tyler walked in took my Legrande out of it’s case and immediately got to work. He had local gigs daily during CMA week and was flying off to Utah Friday for his regular gig with Daryle Singletary so in essence time was short. Nevertheless, Tyler can best be described as fearless. He worked on my steels like they were tinker toys. He’d fix, he’d adjust, take the steel out front, sit down & play it, then he’d have me play it. Each time Tyler played I was blown away - plain and simple. Tyler’s playing is outstanding - perfect touch, tone, control, intonation and style. When I asked Bob Hempher to sit behind my Emmons it was at that moment I knew I was in the presence of a living legend. It just doesn’t get much better then then this. So the routine was - I would hang out in back talking to Tyler and Bob, Tyler would adjust, Tyler would play, then I would play. And that’s how it went till both steels were finally working as they should. On my initial call to Tyler I indicated that I might be willing to trade in my Legrande 11. At the time it was just a thought - sort of only semi serious. My story continues: on Thursday afternoon Tyler brings in his Mullen G2 - sets it up and begins to play. A beautiful instrument Tyler sounded even better on his G2. So he says, “would you like to play it?” And, I’m thinking I’m looking at a BMW700 series that I have no business test driving. Finally, I did sit behind the G2 and was literally knocked back on my seat by the crystal clear sustain and string separation like I’ve never heard before. That G2 played smoother then silk. Tyler says, “that guitar will get you to do things you never thought you could do.” Right then and there he made me a nice offer that included trading in my Legrande 11. The next day - Friday - I said “lets do it.” I explained to Tyler that I wanted the G2 to be almost exactly like his - lacquer finish etc.. (save for the extra knee levers & the 9th pedal). When my G2 is ready I’m heading back to TN to have it set up for me by Tyler. To own such a beautiful instrument will be a once in a lifetime experience. Thanx to Tyler, Bob & Michelle…One more thing - Michelle, who runs the front office get’s a special thank you from me - she made numerous phone calls in an effort to find me a Dobro. She found the perfect one. That thread is about Redline Acoustics and is next.

Dan Klotz

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2016 10:55 am    

Awesome! It's always good know that there's good people doing excellent work out there. The steel guitar community seems to have a high concentration of flat out good guys.

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2016 3:10 pm    

Larry, you won't be disappointed with your G2. The greatest guitar I've ever owned. Got mine in 2009 and have no plans to have any thing different. Tyler is a great person and terrific player. We miss him at the Branson shows. Post some pic's when you get your G2. What is the wait time? Larry

Kenny Foy

Lynnville, KY, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2016 12:43 pm    

I stopped in the other day. First time in a while and noticed business as usual. Good to see Michelle Bob and Tyler. They still doing what they done for years. Guitars, parts. service and still the same smiling faces. So for any of the above be sure and give'em a call or go see'em. It sure was my pleasure.JUST A THOUGHT-- You know you can count on your hands these types of businesses left. They're for us and they're disappearing everyday so let's support'em and the others as much as possible. Once they're gone, They're gone.

Larry Cohen

Oshkosh, WI, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2016 5:15 pm     wait time on G2...

Hey Larry -- I'm thinking a minimum of 3 months possibly more...for an instrument like the G2 it's a short wait...Larry

Ted Barnhouse II

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2016 6:09 pm    

where was Vic Lawson.............