The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  chris ivey
Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 12:33 pm    

Just heard from a mutual friend that Chris Ivey has passed. Despite his gruff and abrasive persona on the forum, in real life he was a kind and generous person, both with his time and with his positive feedback and support to us "young guys" just getting into steel. When I first started playing pedal steel about 10 years ago Chris came to my house and spent well over three hours helping me to get started on pedal steel. He would not take any payment for his time. He saw it as helping out the next generation of pedal steelers. I have since met many steelers who have told me the same story about Chris. He will be missed. Chris pretty much was the main pedal steel guy in this area. He leaves a huge void in the local music scene.

For those of you who never had the chance to hear Chris, check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=gsT2x1J7yJs

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 12:48 pm    

What a shock! All I can say is Goodbye dear Chris.

Jim Park

Carson City, Nv
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 12:53 pm    

Indeed it is a shock........I too am saddened, he was a great player.......and a great guy as well Sad

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 12:58 pm    

Lord Lord, what a shocking announcement.
I truly liked ole Chris, he was a bird of a different feather, and sometimes that's a good thing.
I'm gonna miss his post here on the Forum,
Does anyone have any details on his death?
RIP Chris.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 1:01 pm    

Oh no, what a shock. I've never met Chris but we have exchanged a few emails and PM's and always enjoyed chatting with him. I knew he wasn't in best of health but did not know was so bad. I will surely miss him. Rest in Peace my friend.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 1:11 pm    

Oh, no. I'm very sorry to hear this sad news. My condolences to his friends and family. RIP, Chris.

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA

Very sad to see this. He made the Forum a better place. Rise well, chris. Peace to all his friends and family.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

No! I am very sorry to hear this.

We had some great PMs back and forth about dobro related matters where he was asking me for some buying tips, what to look for, etc. - that along with pedal steel, it was like he wanted to get back into playing over the long haul.

Damn.

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 1:24 pm    

RIP Chris. This place won't be the same without you.

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 1:43 pm    

I immensely enjoyed Chris's input, the forum will be a lot less stimulating without him, RIP Chris Sad

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 1:45 pm    

I am in total shock. I knew Chris had some health issues but I guess he didn't let on how bad they were. The Forum will be less bright with his absence. My deepest sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 1:48 pm    

I thought he was on the abrasive and negative side, but if the poor guy was ill I should have cut him some slack. This is sad news indeed. RIP and God bless you Chris.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 1:52 pm    

Whoa... Chris was a great friend and underneath that sometimes gruff persona and sarcastic comments he had a big heart. I've often described him as the kid who shows up at high school baseball tryouts with his brother's beat-up hand-me-down glove. Everyone else is bragging about their Wilson A2000's and how much it costs and how it's the glove the pros use. Then Chris goes out and quietly becomes the starting shortstop.
He was a real traditionalist when it came to the steel guitar and a "shut up and play" type. He idolized Buddy and a lot of the old timers and did his best to make sure the new guys knew about the past. He could get it done with his beloved P/P or old Zum and firmly believed you didn't need the latest amps, effects, steels, or lots of extra pedals or knee levers to get a great sound.
I got leveled with Lyme Disease several years ago and Chris was having a tough time with leukemia at the time. We used to kid each other that neither of us belonged in Heaven but he had a plan - he knew he didn't have a chance with St. Peter at the gate but he was going to try to sneak in with the band through the stage door. Our agreement was whoever got there first would tape over the lock on the door so the other guy could get in when the time came. Rest in peace, buddy, and I'll give that stage door a tug when I get there.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 1:56 pm    

I'm speechless. I've always enjoyed Chris' intelligence, wit, and frank opinions. Like Eric West (deceased forumite & friend) he had a succinct way with words that was unique and humorous .

We also shared a guitar-bond. He wound up buying a p/p that I regretfully sold in 1979. It always made me feel better that it wound up in the hands of a player that I liked and respected. Chris, you will be missed.

Steve Green

Gulfport, MS, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 2:02 pm    

chris could "snark" with the best of 'em. i was on the receiving end of that snark more than once, but i always enjoyed reading his comments- snarky or not. r.i.p. chris ivey, the forum will be less entertaining without you here.

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 2:04 pm    

I'm very sorry to hear this. This place will not be the same without chris ivey.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 2:33 pm    

Wow... really sorry to hear this. I never met the man in person, and that's my loss...
He'll surely be missed around here. It's tough to think that we won't be seeing any more posts from him.
I already miss him.
Vaya con Dios, Chris...

Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 2:55 pm     Adios Chris

I haven't really posted here for years but the passing of Chris seems especially worthy of a farewell. We met in 1983 at the Wrangler Country Showdown and we competed for some jobs but in the end neither one of us every made enough money to spite the other. So naturally we became phone friends and after all the jobs had disappeared about 2000(for me)we started to call each other once or twice a year. We called it our check in time because when I found out he was sick I would ask if he was still goin and he would say yes and he would ask if I was still goin and we talked a little gossip. We both had kind of contentious personalities. We called them as we saw them not necessarily a financially wise move but in the end we both survived. Last summer we did the same thing and I was thinking about calling him how was he and then I never got to talk to him. Adios amigo...

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 3:10 pm    

This is just awful.

RIP, chris.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 3:34 pm    

Sad to hear of Chris' passing, he was certainly a colourful character and will be missed - RIP mate.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Steven Finley

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 3:53 pm    

I loved his posts, it colored up the forum at times
with laughter,and thats a good thing,rest in peace our friend.

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 4:27 pm    

Oh I'm very sad to hear this. Like Skip said, it is hard to accept that we won't be reading his posts anymore. I wish I had met him in person.

Rick Stratton

Tujunga, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 4:35 pm    

I really enjoyed his posts and against-the-grain attitude. Shut up and play yer guitar, indeed!
I'm sad over his passing like I was when Rick Alexander died some years ago.
I've learned so much from both gentlemen and a lot of others on here, too. I feel like I knew them, just from hanging around the forum.
RIP

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 4:36 pm    

Damn, that is terrible news. I will miss him. RIP friend.

Larry Tracy

Nevada City, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 4:40 pm    

Chris was definitely the man around this area. Got to hang with him a couple of times. Loved the pedal steel and had a great snarky sense of humor. Will miss him on the forum. Rest in peace Chris