The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Scotty's International Steel Guitar Convention 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Scotty's International Steel Guitar Convention 2016
Jerry Berger

Nampa, Idaho USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2016 6:49 pm    

I was fortunate enough to attend the 2013 ISGC and was able to take this picture of Scotty and his wife. He was a very gracious person.

Last edited by Jerry Berger on 8 Mar 2016 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Neil Lang

Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2016 4:59 pm    

A sad day for the "Steel Guitar World". The end of an ERA for certain. We were so lucky to have attended about 7 of these shows over the years. I will never forget the first one in the early 70's. Curly Chalker flew in for the show and Scotty picked him up from the airport and brought him to his music store. We had just happened to stop at the store a few minutes before Curly got there. Curly,Bobby Caldwell and a Bass player jammed in the showroom of the store for about 3 hours. A "private concert" to blow any steel & guitar pickers mind!!!
A testament to the phrase, all things must come to an end. What a HUGE blessing Scotty and his family have been to us all who love this instrument!!! THANK YOU to the Scott family!!!!

Neil & Barb Lang

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 2:06 pm    

I finally went to the show in 2015 after many years of wanting to go, and I'm awfully glad I did. It was an amazing convention and I learned a great deal and met some amazing people like Curly and Doug and many others.
Sad to hear it's over.
Good luck Scott family and all others.
John - Ohio

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 2:21 pm    

John Booth wrote:
I finally went to the show in 2015 after many years of wanting to go, and I'm awfully glad I did. It was an amazing convention and I learned a great deal and met some amazing people like Curly and Doug and many others.

John, I'm glad you got to attend an ISGC but if 2015 was your first, while I'm sure you met Doug, I daresay you did not meet Curly (who died in 1998). Did somebody tell you they were Curly?? Shocked

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 6:40 pm    

Naw, not Curly darn it, i meant Chubby - LOL

Gary Cooper

Atmore, Alabama
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2016 10:39 am     Nashville

Nashville is the perfect place for a steel guitar convention. Hope someday it will happen.

Jim Stahlhut

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2016 8:54 am    

I'm going to miss the ISGC a lot. First went about '74. Was so amazed at Bobby Caldwell. It was the first time I saw Buddy Maurice Curly Doug J. Speedy Hal Rugg Julian Tharpe Zane Beck and on and on. What an education that was. Scotty was a great friend from the beginning. Really helped build my career I also wrote for 13 years for the SGI newsletter. The last 10 years I ran the Jazz Room which was a blast. Playing Jazz with all my hero's what could be better that that? All of this was provided to me by my friend Scotty and of course his family. Some of the greatest people around!

Terry Bethel

Hollister, Missouri (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2016 10:02 am     The Scott Family

I would like to thank all of you especially your Father for giving me the honor of playing on the greatest show on earth, The International Steel Guitar Convention
and for including me to be along side`all of my hero's in the Hall Of fame.
Love you all,
Terry bethel
D-10 Mullen G2 9 x 9, 2-D-10 Bethels 9x9 , 2= Nashville 112's, a Walker Stereo steel Amp Hilton VP, Hardwire Reverb with Lexicon Reverb Peavy Pro Fex II Peavey Digital power amp with effects.Sarno Black Box

Other than that, I ain't doin' nothin'...

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2016 9:20 am    

Very sad news. I had an opportunity to go to the ISGC in 2003 and I've got so many great memories of the show! I got to the show on the Thursday night it started and met so many great steel players and musicians. I remember the Saturday I was at the show, I heard, saw, and met many great players, and also "roadtested" a Carter steel guitar, and it's where I got my current steel guitar bar. Not only did I see and hear great players and musicians, but I saw some very pretty steel guitars! I even met Lloyd Green, Buddy Emmons, Don Helms, Sarah Jory, and other steel players. Scotty hosted the show with the man who got me started playing steel guitar, Stoney Stonecipher and my ISGC experience is one I'll never forget
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Ted Smouse

Austin, Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2016 2:05 pm    

Hey everybody,

Don't throw dirt on Scotty's International Steel Guitar Convention (ISGC) yet!

Scotty's son, Michael Scott, was at the Texas Steel Guitar Jamboree in Irving, TX, two weeks ago. While I did not get a chance to talk with Michael extensively, as we were all enjoying a busy weekend of music and comradery, Michael told me he planned to meet with the Board of Directors of the ISGC, some of whom were in Irving, about keeping the convention going, in some manner.

So, while I do not speak for Michael Scott, the Scott Family, nor the ISGC, I do want to let folks know that the desire exists to keep what Scotty started and brought to the world, along with the help of his family and others, going forward.

So, let's all stay tuned for more information. If you're in a position to offer support and ideas to Michael, I'm sure he'd like to hear from you. As one who attended most every year since 1985, I want to help keep the ISGC alive for the steel guitar world.

Sincerely,

Ted Smouse

Austin, Texas
SteelRadio.org@gmail.com
https://www.steelradio.org

-a 501(c)(3) “Not For Profit” Organization

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2016 8:49 am    

Thank you to the Scott family and to all who made it possible over the years. I've attended many times since the early 90s and was always disappointed when I could not attend.

I think the suggestion of a Nashville convention would be worthy of consideration. It's about the same travel for us Southwest Ohio fans.

In any case, I hope to see you all at a steel show somewhere soon. Wink

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2016 4:36 pm    

For those of us growing up and coming up musically in a certain time, the International Steel Guitar Convention in St. Louis was like Mecca - we all felt that if we were able to, we had to visit this magical Labor Day gathering at least once in our lifetime. Scotty was so important to all of us.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Drew Howard

Post  Posted 4 Jun 2016 5:04 am    

2015 was a very bad year. We lost Scotty and Buddy Emmons.
I lost my wife to an illness.

I'll never forget the '96 and '97 ISCG shows I attended.
My wife loved steel guitar and supported my career as a musician and steel guitar endeavors.

I will go on, but with a heavy heart and many memories.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2016 6:10 am    

I may have commented before on this thread (I don't remember and age causes that). I attended all the conventions from 1977 at the Chase Park Plaza Hotel up to 1997 as I lived across the state in Kansas City. After that it was sporadic as I retired and moved to Florida. Its sad to see an "institution" such as this pass but I also understand the logistics and $$ required to put something like this on.

I agree with others that think the Nashville Musician's Hall of Fame would be a perfect place for the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame plaques, and Nashville would make a great place for a yearly ISGC (if corporate sponsorship could be obtained).

My 2 cents.

Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2016 11:57 am    

Have you asked the legal & financial owner of the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame (& plaques) what he/they think of this idea?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2016 4:02 pm    

I haven't asked anyone. Just my thoughts.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2016 7:04 pm     Scotty In Toledo, Ohio

Heck of a nice guy. Played a Frypan there. He was there for a SGHOF fundraiser. Had a great time there. Scotty led a standing ovation for me when I played "Statues of a Fool" on my Sho Bud Pro III. Never will forget it. Had my picture taken with him and Jesse Hurt.

David Hubenak

Wallis, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2016 6:39 am    

After 21 straight years of attending Scotty's ISGC, this Labor Day weekend will feel very empty. Many, many thanks to the Scott family for providing us in the steel guitar community such a great forum for sharing our love for this instrument. I had a chance to talk with Michael Scott in Dallas this past March. There was still a gleem in his eye as we spoke about the recent events, and the sadness of Scottys passing. From that conversation I can't help but feel it ain't over just yet. Whatever happens going forward we will have to wait and see, but if the ISGC does come back somewhere, someday my wife and I will be in line getting our passes.

Thanks to Michael, Dewitt, and the entire Scott family for the memories. And maybe more??

L. Blake Bowthorpe

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2016 8:50 pm    

Doggone It i was very much shocked & saddened when I heard this news from Mike Scott @ the Denver Show this past weekend Sad I had the pleasure of attending in 2007 & got to meet the likes of Buddy Emmons, John Hughey, & even got to help Herby Wallace load his guitar, amp & gear into his car Very Happy I'll tell ya being a guy from Utah with no Steel guitar around here locally i was in heaven, after watching the shows all day I'd hang out in the jam rooms & prolly only slept 4 hrs per night, what an incredible memory. Since that time I've been able to attend the show in Phoenix in 08 & 09, the Dallas show in 2010 & most recently the Denver show. I hope Mike Scott & the board of directors can find away to keep the grandaddy & king of Steel shows alive & believe you me if i won the Lottery, ya'll would never have to worry about funding again Smile