The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic

Most of the time, what makes you late for a gig?
The baby just messed his diapers and it went all the way up his back!
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Stuck in traffic
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
I didn't allow enough time
34%
 34%  [ 13 ]
Death in family, illness
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Ripped my pants getting out of the car at the gig.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
None of the above
47%
 47%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 38

Author Topic:  Late For a Gig
Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2016 8:37 am    

What's the best excuse?

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2016 10:15 am    

No excuses. I screwed up,

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2016 10:19 am    

It is impossible to be late for the gig where I usually play these days.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2016 10:23 am    

The late ***** *******, much beloved bass player, was routinely late to gigs and always blamed it on heavy traffic congestion. It never occurred to him that the rest of the band had dealt with the same traffic, but arrived on time.

Carl Mesrobian

Post  Posted 9 May 2016 10:42 am    

Earnest Bovine wrote:
The late ***** *******, much beloved bass player, was routinely late to gigs and always blamed it on heavy traffic congestion. It never occurred to him that the rest of the band had dealt with the same traffic, but arrived on time.

Ahh, yesss, The old "we're right ahead of you!" trick!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Richard Smelker

Winters.Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2016 10:53 am    

I had a drummer that would show up about 5 minutes to start time and start setting up the drums. The last straw was he showed up late and forgot to bring any sticks! He played the first set with butter knives until his wife brought his sticks! Whoa!
it was his last night with the band!!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 May 2016 10:32 am    

well, party pooper here...I don't think I have been late to a gig for any reason for a decade or more ! I'm one of those up early, out early, better arrive real early than late people, I think it's a curse ! Sad

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2016 11:27 am    

Tony Prior wrote:
well, party pooper here...I don't think I have been late to a gig for any reason for a decade or more ! I’m one of those up early, out early, better arrive real early than late people, I think it's a curse ! Sad

Sometimes it makes folks like us a little hard to deal with... I hate late
just about more than anything... might be a curse and a blessing all
at the same time Tony. Crying or Very sad
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 10 May 2016 1:24 pm    

I can't stand being late for a gig. I'd rather be an hour early than arrive just in time. I hate rushing and then find something doesn't work right or that, I've forgotten something.
We had a drummer in our old band that was always there 15 minutes before start time. All of our stuff would be set up and there he'd be, dragging his trap case and drums across the stage in order to set up. We finally started to tell him that, the gig was starting 45 minutes before it actually would be. That idea helped a lot.
Finally, did I mention, I hate being late?

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 10 May 2016 2:18 pm    

John De Maille wrote:
I can't stand being late for a gig. I'd rather be an hour early than arrive just in time. I hate rushing and then find something doesn't work right or that, I've forgotten something.

That's me, always has been. I hate the hanging around but not as much as the thought of being late. Oddly, I have never forgotten anything or found that something doesn't work. Correction, I did once forget my trousers, but someone else had two pairs. Always did, apparently, but I didn't feel it my place to ask why.

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 10 May 2016 10:10 pm    

I was late for a gig once because I got lost.
I was docked pay and I didn't bother to make a stink about it because I knew the guys were right.
From that time on, I always left extra early (what I call flat tire time).
I was never late after that one time and often showed up early enough to set up then sit down with a cup of coffee and relax before time to play.
People who are consistently late, piss me off.

Rick

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2016 10:12 pm    

The only time I can remember, it was because I had the start time wrong on my calendar. It was an hour off. I showed up just as the band started playing.

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 11 May 2016 10:32 am    

I came close, one time. I had a car wreck about a quarter of a mile from the club. My car was undrivable after the accident, so after the police arrived and the other driver and I exchanged 'pleasantries', Laughing I had just enough time to schlep my gear to the gig (on foot); set up and start playing. Lucky for me, one of my fellow bandmates was willing to drive me home afterwards.

Of course, it's way worse to cancel a gig on short notice, or just plain 'no-show' than to show up late. Fortunately, I've never been with any band that did that.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 11 May 2016 10:48 am    

Ian Rae wrote:
I did once forget my trousers, but someone else had two pairs. Always did, apparently, but I didn't feel it my place to ask why.

Ian, I remember one time, we (the band) were on a 4-day run. When we were getting' ready for our show I realized that I had packed four pairs of my wife's bluejeans. She's a lot shorter than I am (besides being a whole lot purdier Cool ). So, for that whole tour, I ended up wearing' a pair of cut-off jeans that the band referred to as "Daisy Dukes" Laughing A couple o' times we played at a nudist colony and I didn't need no stinking' jeans! Razz

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2016 11:26 am    

Unavoidable things do happen, and everyone understands that. Years ago I played in a band where one of the players was consistently late. By the time he got there and got set up, we would be at least 15 minutes late getting started. He lived closer that some of us did. He always had some lame excuse, but I think he liked the attention and control of having us wait on him. Well, we fixed that. At showtime we started without him. When he got there and had to set up while we were playing, and it was obvious to the audience that he was late, it didn't take him long to start being on time.

RC

Carl Mesrobian

Post  Posted 11 May 2016 12:57 pm    

Rick Campbell wrote:
Unavoidable things do happen, and everyone understands that. Years ago I played in a band where one of the players was consistently late. By the time he got there and got set up, we would be at least 15 minutes late getting started. He lived closer that some of us did. He always had some lame excuse, but I think he liked the attention and control of having us wait on him. Well, we fixed that. At showtime we started without him. When he got there and had to set up while we were playing, and it was obvious to the audience that he was late, it didn't take him long to start being on time.

RC

That's a perfect example of what a team player should not be - see my other post:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=301099&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Hopefully not your "special guest" bass player or drummer Winking

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2016 2:32 pm    

Carl Mesrobian wrote:
Rick Campbell wrote:

RC

That's a perfect example of what a team player should not be - see my other post:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=301099&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Hopefully not your "special guest" bass player or drummer Winking

Carl,

I doubt anyone that could be called a "special guest" would have had the nerve to even play with us. Laughing Laughing Laughing

RC

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2016 2:52 pm    

I have only been late for a gig once in my life, & that was because I rode there with the bass player.

I am always the first one there,set up, & tuned even before the rest of the band gets there. Only thing that might make me late is my day job; all these animal club gigs start way too early.

Carl Mesrobian

Post  Posted 11 May 2016 3:00 pm    

Rich Upright wrote:
...I have only been late for a gig once in my life, & that was because I rode there with the bass player...

With your last name I thought you were the bass player.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2016 4:49 pm     Really Late

I had a tuxedo gig with a "Dixieland" band in New Orleans at the NATPE convention. The gig was for 8, I showed on time, the convention center was a ghost town.

Turns out the gig was for 8 AM. I was there at 8 PM. I took a lot of ribbing for that one.

Other than that, I hate to be late. I'll help load in if needed, because I know I'll be gone at the first opportunity, so I help on the front end. I also need a few minutes to relax if possible, ease into gig mode, and destress a bit.

Carl Mesrobian

Post  Posted 11 May 2016 4:52 pm    

Good thing it wasn't at 12 Laughing