The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. What will become of the HOF ?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  What will become of the HOF ?
Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2016 5:54 am    

Maybe I missed it somewhere,but, what will become of the hall of fame without a venue or a convention ?

Michael Scott

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2016 9:41 am    

Since the cancelling of Scotty’s International Steel Guitar Convention 2016, the Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame has to adapt. The HOF’s newest inductees, Del Mullen and Neil Flanz, will be inducted during the Denver show on June 12th 2016. This ceremony and the entire Denver show will be broadcast live on SteelRadio.com.

The Denver Steel Guitar Show will be held at Lannie's Cabaret (16th and Arapahoe - Denver, Colorado) Tickets are $10 and can be purchased at Lannie's web site (www.lannies.com) or at the door.

Future inductions and their presentation locations will be posted on our web site and the Steel Guitar Forum as well as other social medias.

The Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame, its plaques and historic artifacts are in storage and we are working on getting a permanent location.

Michael Scott
The Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame, Inc.
St. Louis, MO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2016 1:25 pm    

any chance of a come back next year? This is the Grand Ole Opry of steel shows!!! Sad

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar

Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2016 4:14 pm    

I say we all come together and find a way to keep this Grand Ole Opry, Super Bowl, Carnegie Hall of Steel Guitar Going. It has been an icon, and it is the Home of the Hall of Fame. It has a place in all of our hearts and I don't want to see it go for sure.

I'm in......

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2016 11:09 am    

Mike Mantey wrote:
I say we all come together and find a way to keep this Grand Ole Opry, Super Bowl, Carnegie Hall of Steel Guitar Going. It has been an icon, and it is the Home of the Hall of Fame. It has a place in all of our hearts and I don't want to see it go for sure.

I'm in......

Mike

AFAIK, most, if not all, of the other successful steel guitar shows are labors of love run by non-profit organizations where none of the organizers receive a salary; the ISGC was not, but rather a for-profit entrepreneurial endeavor owned by Scotty. Coming together to support the show could have been accomplished by more people attending the show while it was still financially viable, perhaps with some change in decision-making at the top. But in retrospect that didn't happen.

IMHO, for a groundswell of goodwill donations to resurrect the show, wouldn't a basic change in the operation of same be required? And how would that money be administered fairly? And what if the money donated was still insufficient to keep the show afloat? Would there be refunds? Not to mention legal hurdles if there are any accounts payable yet outstanding.

I'm just surmising. None of this is, of course, any of our business. Rather, the suggestion made by Mike Mantey begs more than a few of the many questions that come to mind. I'm sure there are others. And I am sure the IRS would also be interested in the whereabouts of any money changing hands.

As far as the future of the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame is concerned, there are meetings planned to decide this.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 19 Mar 2016 3:40 pm    

I am not commenting on what should be done or how it should be done, I freely admit I don't know.

What I do know is the sadness I've felt in the last year with the loss of Buddy, and Scotty, and now the ISGC. It seems the PSG world is falling apart. It was once so vibrant and exciting. All of that now seems to be gone. Have we lost so many over the years that interest has been lost and no one wants to "fill the shoes" of those no longer with us?

Times change I know, but I still find it sad.

My 2 cents (if it's worth that much).

Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2016 8:21 am    

Yes Herb it would take major change I'm sure. I didn't say we should all pay for the show either. I am pretty sure there are fund raisers that only happen if the goal is met. It was an idea. I'm personally a second generation builder and I want to see this keep going as well. There are countless shows these days, but this one has impacted me a lot. Don't know the answer at all, but willing to try and help, that I know. I have faith.

Bruce Meyer

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2016 7:33 am    

Would The Musicians Hall of Fame in Nashville be an appropriate long term place for the HOF? Just a thought.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2016 9:46 am    

That was my comment on another thread. The Musicians Hall of Fame in Nashville. Perfect place.

Bruce Meyer

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2016 10:35 am    

Heck. I'm just outside Nashville and downtown all the time. I'd be willing to devote some time to make it happen if it was desirable by Scotty's family and everyone. Nashville is booming, good and bad, and huge numbers of visitors. It would be a nice way to carry on the legacy of those in the HOF and hopefully inspire some new players.