The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Line 6 Firehawk 1500 watt amp
Tom Whitworth

Ridgecrest, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 3:18 pm    

I know this is kind of out there but has anyone tried playing steel through the Line 6 Firehawk 1500 amp. The idea being the Firehawk has a closed cab (ported) with a 12" center speaker - for dry guitar signal - and two 5 1/2" coaxial speakers plus 1" horn for stereo imaging effects such as reverb & delay etc. The 1500 watts are being used to drive all the different speakers so that rating is probably reduced considerably at the 12" speaker. I don't think the 12" speaker will push the steel guitar enough but thought maybe someone might have tried it? I know steel players can be purists (we do need to keep the blood line in tact) and don't think much about the newer modeling and effects processors but this thing might have some real possibilities in the speaker/cab modeling area. I'm thinking about splitting the signal from the ShoBud to the Nashville 400 (clean) and the 1500 (modulation/stereo). Any comments , other than "you are nuts" Smile TW
OME 5 string,
LATEST ADD : Line 6 Helix

Jeff Campbell

Knoxville Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 4:35 pm     Modeling amps

I have tried a few different modeling amps and honestly just my opinion , for a traditional steel sound I have never seen one that works.. I have a Peavey Nv 400 and a old Session 500 that I don't see any ever beating those amps..
JC

Tom Whitworth

Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 4:44 pm    

Thanks Jeff, I have to agree with you. I'm just looking to experiment a little. One of the selling points of the L6 Firehawk is that it supposedly does a very good job as an acoustic amp and is LOUD as well. Hard to believe - but it is heavier than our pedal steel amps - I think 60lbs + *!!? As you might imagine some people don't want to know anything more about them than that.
OME 5 string,

Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 5:59 pm    

It's 440W on the low driver.

Might just work. But basically, a QSC K10 plus a "kidney bean" PoD might work the same. They have basically within 3dB of the same max SPL. And you could use a made-for-steel preamp with the K10.

I would be concerned about there being too much tweeter. Just a 15" has plenty of treble for me - any more and it'd get peaky sounding. Of course the models are s'posed to fix that.

Tom Whitworth

Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 6:38 pm    

If that thing is pumping out 440w to a 12" driver I can see why they say that amp can get loud. I bet you are right about the high end freq's. One would probably look for the amp/speaker models that would compensate for that - that is why I was hoping someone had done some experimenting already. I suppose I could drive 200 mi's to GC with my rig and check it out (like I used to do to get weekly steel lessons from my ole' buddy Duane Brown in Sparks, NV back in the mid 80's)

ps;Les, what is the "made-for-steel" pre-amp you mentioned?
OME 5 string,