The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Band-In-a-Box
Gerald Keller

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2016 9:40 am    

I am a year plus into learning the steel guitar. I am retired, have plenty of time and passionate about learning. My latest obstacle, which arose while learning the Nashville System, is in identifying note changes and then identifying the note to which it has changed (this beautiful instrument has a way of providing many obstacle with, I am sure, many more to come - A "Devil in Disquise" you might say).

It has been recommended by several individuals that I acquire Band-I-the-Box. My intended purpose for using Band-in-a-Box would be both train my ear and also for learning timing and back-up.

I have already purchased an All-in-One computer which I can use exclusively on my music stand which has Jeff Newman, Joe Wright and Gary Sills videos along with Youtube (they make it look so easy it brings tears to one's eyes).

In researching the options for Band-in-a-Box, there are the Basic (+/-$99), the Pro, the Mega, the Ultra and the Everything. While I don't want to under purchase, I don't want to over purchase either and probably get something that is unwieldy.

Any suggestions/recommendations.

Michael Haselman

St. Paul
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2016 6:10 pm    

Sounds like BIAB will do what you need it to. Just start with the basic, and take a year to go through the manual Smile You can always upgrade to the extra goodies without paying for another basic system.

Gerald Keller

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2016 7:30 am    

Thanks Michael. I purchased a copy. I will take your advice and study the manual but think I can cut the study time to a couple of weeks vs. 1 year. My plan is to sit on my patio, drink a cup of coffee and study. With your being in St. Paul and me in Phoenix, I think you will understand (I was raised in ND and lived in Mpls for 25 years so don't fret, only 3 months until spring). On the other hand, maybe I got that backwards - we don't have your snow days! Enjoy March and get the shovel ready. I shoveled 36 inches of partly cloudy off my driveway while I lived there. Very Happy

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2016 7:46 am    

I first started with BIAB way back when it was all on floppies..I upgrade every 2 or 3 years to the current 2016 ver..Basically I use the drums, bass and a chord instrument for backing tracks for practice..I'm assuming that's what your after..
In that case the $129 Pro package would probably be a good place to start..That will come on CDs and need to be loaded in to your PC..
The $269 Mega Pak will also be on CDs and give you more features..
The $469 Ultra Plus Pak comes on a hard drive and can be run from that drive or loaded to your PC..
If you can afford this pak and are determined to use it,it's what I would recommend..
Anything more than that would be overkill..
BTW, Rick Campbell made a very good CD to help us get started on BIAB..Many here have that CD and will be willing to send a copy..I'm one of those (if I can find it)..

Gerald Keller

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2016 8:55 am    

Thanks Papa. Ended up getting the Everything Pak. For the extra bucks I thought I would then have everything (no pun intended) given the time I would and am investing in learning the steel. At the same time, I liked the fact it came with the USB preloaded so it is transferable between computers. As I mentioned, I also purchased an All-In-One computer which fits on a music stand in front of the guitar so this should be a good addition. If you can't play well you might as well look good; so I have been told. Thanks for the advice - appreciated.
Speedy West
Show Pro
Other Expensive "Stuff"

Steve Duke

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 9:21 am     BIAB Pro Version

Gerald: you ask the very question I have been trying to figure out myself. Thanks. Papa Joe: Can you upload tracks you already have on a CD into BIAB Pro version? The reason is to be able to slow the tempo while practicing and maybe changing the key also? Also, will the BIAB CD download to the hard drive or do you have to load them each time you use the program? Thanks

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 9:31 am    

Yes you can down load your CDs to BIAB..
The BIAB CDs will load to your hard drive..
I load everything to my hard drive to make things easier to use..

Steve Duke

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 9:39 am     Biab

Thanks Papa Joe:I appreciate ye. B safe

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 10:46 am    

You're welcome..
You might find this to be helpful..There's a lot of knowledgeable people on the BIAB forum..
Check it out..
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?lang=english