The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Blutooth Headset for Recording
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2016 9:24 am    

I bought a Bluetooth Headset and a Bluetooth transmitter that connects to an analog out jack. I have the transmitter connected to one port on my headphone amp.

I was skeptical on whether it would work, for recording only as I don't mix/master with headphones. But the On Stage headset is a keeper. The transmitter will work with two headsets, if needed. I have extension cords for headsets but "wireless" seems like a better way when recording with the steel. I also use a wireless Frontier Tranzport controller at the steel but I still have to get up and go to the PC to do some things and having the wireless headset seems like a plus.

The headset is On Stage BH4500
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-MUS-BH4500

The bluetooth transmitter was from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016BIEON8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2016 9:49 am    

Does the Bluetooth introduce any perceptible latency to your live signal Jack?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2016 12:11 pm    

None that I've noticed, so far. I haven't done much with it except a test recording to see how it works.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2016 8:23 pm    

Hey Jack,

Can you give us an update on the Bluetooth setup? I'm very interested if this works okay. My headset cords are always in my way. Great idea!

RC

Billy McCombs

Bakersfield California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2016 3:55 am    

Jack will this work with this Skull candy Hesh 2 Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Headphones . I bought this thinking I could just plug it in and have a wireless Head Set. Duah Rolling Eyes
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2016 4:53 am    

I haven't done any more testing, and I need to. Been busy with other projects. I just did a quick test and I didn't notice any latency although there are those that say there is latency concerns with using Bluetooth for recording.

Just about any (I hesitate to say "any" as there are some older ones that are not compatible with newer Bluetooth technologies) Bluetooth headset and a Bluetooth transmitter should work.

Billy McCombs

Bakersfield California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2016 9:26 am    

Mines a new one so it should work. Thanks Jack. Great to have someone on the Forum that knows about this stuff to help out us Dummy's.
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2016 5:43 am    

I did some "in depth" recording tests this morning with the Bluetooth headset and there is latency. Enough that I'm now going to say its no good for recording.

Initial "quick" tests were OK, but after getting into it I have a different opinion.

Actually playing along and recording with a previously recorded project I was in time with the music. But, there is a definite delay between picking a note and hearing it. That delay can confuse things.