The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Windows 10 and Recording Equipment
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 2:52 am    

All my Roland gear will not install in the final Win 10 version (10240). Reports on other forums, such as the Cakewalk Sonar forum note some other brands of hardware and even some recording programs either do not work or have problems in Win 10.

I have a Roland Studio-Capture, a Roland Octa-Capture and a Roland Edirol PCR-500 MIDI Keyboard and they all fail installation with a Code 28 in the Device Manager (driver failed to install). All of these devices have Win 8.1 drivers and work properly in Win 8.1.

Roland has a statement on their web site that they are testing Win 10 drivers for some equipment (they are dragging their feet as the "final" Win 10 version was distributed on July 10th to the "Insiders" and probably to vendors).

Originally, in an early Win 10 Preview version, my Octa-Capture was working. But the early version must have been more Win 8.1 than it was Win 10.

I have other equipment that does work OK in Win 10, even an old (discontinued) Frontier Tranzport that only has Vista drivers. The Frontier Tranzport had to be installed in a Vista compatibility mode.

Sonar (Platinum) works OK in Win 10.

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 3:15 am    

Sorry to hear that Jack.

I decided to try Win10 myself and so far all things are working. Presonus Board, and Pro Tools and Mbox.

So Far so good.

Mark

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 6:32 am    

Things are looking up with Roland equipment. Roland has posted some drivers (actually they are now Windows "plug and play").

Others that they have not posted Win 10 support included my Roland Studio-Capture and the Roland Edirol PCR line of MIDI keyboards. However, thanks to a hack posted on the Cakewalk Forum, both of these devices are now installed and working in Win 10.

I can now start using Windows 10 as my "production" system.

I haven't seen anything about other vendors such as Focusrite that users were waiting for Win 10 support.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2016 6:41 pm    

Steinberg let me know they have sorted out their W10 issues for Cubase now too so I have upgraded and have struck no fish hooks - I'm running Cubase Elements 8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2016 6:49 pm    

Thanks Paddy,

I have to use a Presonus Firestudio in a current project. It's discontinued and there will not be any Win 10 drivers available.

I'm stuck with Win 8.1, at least for a while.

Thanks again for the heads up!!

hp

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2016 8:08 pm    

I upgraded a laptop of mine with the 8.1 to 10 free upgrade. The headphone jack audio on that computer developed some distortion. I tried updating audio drivers, etc... and nothing helped. For 30 days you can easily go back to 8.1. I did that and now it all works fine.

RC

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2016 1:32 am    

well being the pessimist that I am , when I built my new PC for Pro Tools 12, I went backwards to Win 7/64 bit. I'll go to Win 10 when everyone else goes to WIN 12 ! Smile

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2016 3:09 am    

From what I see on recording forums (and the Win 10 forum) its going pretty good with Win 10. Avid tends to be the "last one out of the box" when it comes to certifying and OS.

As with many that have reported, my latency has dropped with Win 10. I went from (reliable) 6ms on Win 7/8.1 to 4ms on Win 10 with my Roland Octa-Capture.

There are those that have upgraded to Win 10 that shouldn't have. Old PC hardware that was made for XP and even some early Win 7 hardware may not work or only work marginally. PC sound "cards" must have at a minimum Win 8.1 drivers available or they will not work - Win 7 or even Win 8 drivers are not compatible (installing in compatibility mode is iffy for these too).

I have an old (discontinued) Frontier Tranzport wireless controller and it works in Win 10 but it had to be installed in a Vista compatibility mode, just as I had to do for Win 8.1. The last drivers issued for this device was for Vista. I was lucky with this device as I see others with other older devices that won't work in 10.

My Behringer BCF2000 control surface works in Win 10 (plug and play).

One thing I see people "shoot themselves in the foot" with is installing a 64 bit OS on a PC with 4GB or less of RAM. A 64 bit OS uses more of the available memory than a 32 bit OS does thus less available for applications (programs). Only install 64 bit OS if you have more than 4GB or RAM (or are going to upgrade to more than 4GB).

Just as Win 7 was a "better Vista", Win 10 is a "better Win 8.1".

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2016 4:49 am    

Jack, just curious, how did you measure the actual latency ? I have never actually measured latency, never needed to. Although PT's as the low latency AUTO setting I have never used it on either of my two systems. My ears cannot detect any audible latency but measuring would probably be on ok thing to know.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2016 5:13 am    

This is the latency that Sonar reports (actually 4.Cool. I couldn't go that low before, as I would get some dropouts.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2016 5:42 am    

Thats nice Jack, I am using an older delta Interface which does not give me the options of SEEING the numbers, so what I just did was the OLD way...recorded a short click, sent it OUT the interface and back in on another channel to another track. Then over layed them. For all practical purposes they were the same, not even worth doing the math. I suspect it is in the 4 to 5 range as I seriously doubt anything is ZERO perfect. 4 to 5 is not even audible. Well maybe to a mouse.

It appears that PT 12 got it better than previous versions as the auto buffer settings ( you can still see the numbers) fall in line with previous versions where you had to tweak. I'm still not using the low latency option yet, but it's good to know it's there should I need it.

Good stuff Jack, thanks

t