The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Chubby Howard being told going into the Steel Guitar H o F
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Chubby Howard being told going into the Steel Guitar H o F
Danny Hammers

Danny & Patricia of Floral City, Florida formerly of Fairdale KY.
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2014 6:49 pm    

Chubby Howard being told by Scotty that he was going into the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame next year (2015)

click link: http://youtu.be/sLTr0Uz6Z4I

Listen to Chubby Sat 9 to 3 & Sun 1 to 5 @ www.MyClassicCountry.com

Love you Chubby
Danny
Life Member of R.O.P.E. (Reunion Of Professional Entertainers) , NTSGA, GaSGA, PSGA, ASGA, MSGC, LMSGC, OzarkSGA

Evelyn Whitney

Muskegon, MI 49441 USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2014 8:49 pm    

That is true Danny.. He was told that right while he was on the stage at the convention. Happy days for Chubby he totally deserves it.

Lynn Owsley

Hendersonville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2014 8:10 am     Chubby in HOF

I was thrilled to hear this news!!!
Chubby Howard has given his life to the steel guitar and its players, and has taken the steel to new audiences world wide, making new fans as he goes along....Congratulations Chubby.

Mike Sigler

Give Em A Try !
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2014 8:46 am    

I think this is great news long overdue chubby Howard is one of the biggest steel guitar supporters in the world congratulations again my friend this is well deserved

John Brock

Xenia, Ohio
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2014 3:32 pm     chubby howard/sg hof

Congrats Chubby!!! Its overdue. The hardest work'in man in show business around here. That's for sure! We're all thankful for Chubby.

Jim Gillyard

Me and Don Helms Ocala, Florida
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 1:53 pm     Chubby going in the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame

I am very happy to see Chubby going in the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame. He is a good man and plays the steel very, very goood. I will be making plans to attend next year to see my friend, Chubby receive this award.

Jim Gillyard
Nashville Tennessee Steel Guitar Association
Manasota Steel Guitar Club of Florida

Danny Hammers

Post  Posted 7 Sep 2014 7:59 am    

Sending for Billy Robinson

Billy Robinson

Gallatin, TN.

Congratulations Chubby!
This is long overdue.
And I will be on stage with you to see you inducted because you are my friend.

Love You My Friend
Billy

Life Member of R.O.P.E. (Reunion Of Professional Entertainers) , NTSGA, GaSGA, PSGA, ASGA, MSGC, LMSGC, OzarkSGA

Chubby Howard

Franklin, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2014 5:16 am    

Just wanted to say how Happy and Proud And Honored I am to be going in the Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame! How great is it to be going in next year with ALL my Heroes! I just wanted to say thanks to Everyone! Chubby Howard Also how about me going in with my GREAT friend of many years the great Gene Fields!!!!

Steel Guitar Hall of Fame in 2015

Fred Layman

Springfield, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2014 9:54 am     Fred Layman

I posted a congratulations on an earlier thread. He appeared regularly on our Lexington Kentucky show. But thanks again Chubby and best wishes for the future.

rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 5:11 am    

Congrats to everyone that ever gets in the HOF - I just kind of miss the days when you went to the convention wondering who was getting inducted!

Danny Hammers

Post  Posted 1 Oct 2014 4:03 pm    

I somewhat agree with you Ron, but the reason for knowing ahead of time is so the inductees can make plans to have their family and friends at the induction.

Danny

rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2014 5:02 am    

I didn't really mean for the inductees - I was thinking about the rest of us.

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2014 8:28 am    

Thanks, Danny.

Congratulations, Chubby, and thanks for another great steel show this past Sunday.

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2014 7:53 pm    

Could somebody post a bio of Chubby?
I'm afraid to say I've never heard his name mentioned before....anywhere.
I've gone to ISGC ten times, Dallas three times and PSGA in CT close to fifteen times, so Ive seen and heard probably a couple hundred well known steelers, but not Chubby.
I'm NOT questioning his qualifications!!! I'd just like to know some more about him, since his is a new name to me.

Danny Hammers

Post  Posted 1 Nov 2014 7:25 am     Nominating Chubby Howard for Steel Guitar H of F

I, Danny Hammers of Floral City Florida
with the help of Stephen Lake II of Ohio
Am nominating Chubby Howard for
The Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame 7122 S. Duval Island Drive
Floral City, FL 34436-2434
Phone 352-860-0155
Email dhammers@tampabay.rr.com

Steel Guitar Hall of Fame (Nomination, 2014 he will be 88 years old)
Who should be the next inductee into the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame? The answer is Ray "Chubby" Howard. Best defined as a steel guitar lover, player, promoter, enthusiast, and historian, Chubby has shared his love for the instrument abroad. Starting the first steel guitar club in the '50's, making seven USO tours in the 1960's, to reaching listeners around the world (today) via a weekly "live" radio show syndicated and streamed internationally on the Internet; there's more to the story! Take a few moments "past & present" to look at this timeline and notice that it's not about one man or an instrument, but a partnership that without each other would be impossible to accomplish. You decide, is it the man behind the steel guitar or vice versa? Let's try to find out!
Chubby & his Steel Guitar Timeline
1930's (In the beginning...)
• Born June 5, 1926 in Gooserock, Kentucky (the only part that doesn't include a steel!)
• His Dad purchased him a Sears & Robuck white Silvertone Steel Guitar and amp for $65.00
• Started playing at age 8 practicing in front of his family's Howard's Grocery Store with inquisitive shoppers saying, "What is that?"
1940's (Steelin' with the stars begins..)
• As a teenager played his first show with a country music star, Jimmy Skinner in Franklin, Ohio and continued playing regionally
• Met his future wife, Dorothy Lee Gruszczynski and married in July 30, 1954
1950's (On the Road!)
• Played on the Midwestern Hayride with Russ Helton & the Trailhands in Cincinnati, Ohio
• Recorded several records with artists on King Records (Cincinnati, Ohio)
• Completed seven USO tours for Promoter Antone Sabillious which sometimes included other names like Roy Acuff and Bob Hope touring in Japan, Korea,
Newfoundland, Greenland, and Alaska
• First born son: Brian Keith Howard (December 24, 1955)
• Moved to Florida and worked for RCA/Victor artist, Ernie Lee. This earned Chubby a collaborative spot in the book The Original Country Music Who's Who Annual for 1960 appearing as a band member on the Ernie Lee TV Show
1960's (From stage to TV and Radio)
• Moved to Tacoma, Washington and started the first Steel Guitar Club in the USA (1959). Featured players for club meetings included Buddy Charlton, Katz Kobiashi (later with Marty Robbins), and Julian Thorpe who brought Chubby's idea back to Nashville!
• Second-born son: John Earl Howard (September 5, 1960)
• Played in Buck Owens' first band called the Bar-K-Gang (before the Buckaroos)
• Played with Jack Roberts and the Evergreen Drifters on Jack's TV show backing artists Lefty Frizzell, Faron Young, and Carl Smith (show produced by George Ritchie)
• Met a best friend for life, the great Jim Reeves
• Formed a life-long friendship with Merle Haggard after standing up for him over a musician's union dispute on the West Coast
• Third-born son: Anthony Joseph Howard (September. 24, 1966)
• Started his radio career with station "KAYE" every morning in Puyallup, Washington
• Created his own TV Show called the Western Jamboree appearing five days each week for a 1-hour "live show" interviewing and listening to artists like Tommy Duncan, Johnny Bush, Johnny Paycheck, Sheb Wooley, Jimmie Day, and Buck Owens (WTVW-Channel 13-Tacoma Washington - five year run)
• Simultaneously created a second TV show on WTVW called Look or Listen which was the first radio and TV format combined as people watched Chubby spin the records.
1970's (Heading to the Grand Ole Opry)
• Recorded the first of two albums with Steel Guitar innovator, Shot Jackson called Nashville Northwest, 1971 (on Wasp Records-produced by Gene Breeden)
• Moved back to Franklin, Ohio and joined touring band, "Steve Lake & the Swingmasters" backing up artists throughout the country-such as The Statler Brothers, Lynn Anderson, Earl Thomas Conley, Crystal Gayle, Loretta Lynn, Mel Street, Lorne Greene, and members of the Hee Haw cast and Lawrence Welk Show
• Appeared on the Phil Donahue Show with the Swingmasters backing Johnny Russell
• Made several appearances on the Grand Ole Opry with the Swingmasters backing Connie Smith for seven years. (played the final Opry Show at the Ryman Auditorium, 1974)
• Played the Sho Bud Showcase at the Ernest Tubb Record Shop several times for Shot Jackson and Jack Bowles
• Recorded second album with Shot Jackson called Sippin' Music, 1975 "Artist's Records/later released on Sugar Records".

1980's (The highlight of Chubby's career..!)

• Toured the USA & Europe with Grand Ole Opry star Boxcar Willie (1983-'84). During this time Chubby always had a feature song in Boxcar's show - the Steel Guitar Rag! This earned Chubby many standing ovations leading all the way to the International Country Music Festival at Wembley Stadium
• Played the first JCH steel guitar on the Grand Ole Opry at Jimmy Crawford's request
• Made twenty-six appearances on the Grand Ole Opry with Boxcar Willie
• Joined the staff band at Renfro Valley (Kentucky) for a ten-year run in their two main shows (1989-'99) (the second longest running radio show in the country)
1990's (Founded the annual Steel Guitar Jamboree)
• Began Chubby Howard's Steel Guitar Jamboree (annual show) featuring local, regional, and national players. This year marks the 15th Anniversary for his show!
• Always a close friend to Don Helms and mentioned in his autobiography, Settin' The Woods on Fire (2005)
• Played a featured song (Jealous Heart) on the tribute to Shot Jackson called Pickin' on Shot (Volume 1)
• Played shows in Nashville with his son, Tony, with various artists like Daryle Singletary, Clinton Gregory, Tom Jones, Trisha Yearwood, and Tanya Tucker
2000 - Present (Taking the steel guitar to new listeners abroad)
• Began another DJ career in 2000 with a "live" radio show every Saturday and Sunday on WBZI, WKFI, WEDI, and FM 100.3 which simulcasts from Xenia, Ohio. Listeners, both fans and artists world-wide via the Internet, often call Chubby on his radio show for personal requests
• Continues to travel with the Clean Cut Country Show as well plays on three regular shows per week
• Often receives a call from friend, Rhonda Vincent, to join her band (The Rage) on stage
• This year, Chubby will celebrate his 87th Birthday without missing a show - on radio or stage

Steel Guitar Endorsements: National, Wright Custom, Sho Bud, JCH, Emmons, and Derby

To this day, Chubby maintains close friendships with everybody from radio listeners, musicians, to country music artists. It is not uncommon to hear Chubby on the radio mentioning the steel guitar player on the record before the artist or playing two steel-guitar instrumentals in a row. Then, take a phone call from a local musician, a friend in Norway, or even Rhonda Vincent or Moe Bandy and hear them say, "Chubby, I love your show all the way from The Road, USA" as they listen from their bus. You tell me who loves the steel guitar and (who) promotes the "sound and listening platform" for future generations more than any other living person on this Earth and the answer repeats itself - "Chubby".

PS Chubby is on radio now 9am to 3pm today at www.myclassiccountry.com

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2014 1:24 pm    

Thank you Danny!
It seems there are special people that have devoted their lives to country music and the steel guitar and we are lucky to have them.
Even better when they get acknowledged Smile

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2014 9:21 am    

Nicely done, Danny and Steve. I knew a lot of Chubby's history, but no near as much as presented in this nomination.

Chubby Howard

Franklin, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2015 8:16 am    

Really Looking Forward to this year show again!!! I Had a ball last year!!! Chubby Howard

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2015 7:02 am    

Congrats Chubby!

Chubby Howard

Franklin, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2015 10:24 am    

Thank You Sid I feel like the most blessed person in the world for being 89 years young. I could not be more happier. Chubby Howard

Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2015 7:07 am    

Congratulations Chubby. It was long overdue. I enjoyed your speech and your set.

Larry Moore

Hampton, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2015 10:58 am     Chubby Howard Newist S G H O F Member 2015

Congratulations Chubby,
It was a pleasure to meet you, and having a picture taken with you.
2015 S G H O F Member

Thanks Pal
Larry & Teresa Moore

Last edited by Larry Moore on 16 Sep 2015 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Chubby Howard

Franklin, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2015 2:22 pm    

THANK YOU TO EVERYBODY greatest day of my life. I am so happy!!!! Thanks again, Chubby Howard

Danny Hammers

Post  Posted 7 Nov 2015 12:15 pm    

This was run in the Dayton Daily News on Oct. 15 2015 about Chubby Howard going into the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame.

Click Here-> -> www.w4mop.com/chubby-news.pdf

Rhonda Vincent

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2015 7:46 pm     So proud of you Chubby!

Congratulations to my friend Chubby Howard, on this very special honor into the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame!