The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  That Dobro Sound
Brian Henry

Post  Posted 9 Dec 2015 4:31 pm    

I have some pending gigs with bluegrass bands, but they really want a dobro sound. What is the best effect p dal that I Can use to get the dobro sound. I am amazed that traditional country is almost nonexistent but blue grass is alive and well in the church and the world! Thank you for your suggestions!

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2015 5:27 pm    

i'd try the tom bradshaw mxr reso pedal.
probably the easiest cheapest best sounding way to go.

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 9 Dec 2015 5:34 pm    

Thank you Chris. It does seem like the best deal,on the market!

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2015 6:22 pm    

The MXR also allows for far more individual adjustment than other ones on the market. Great pedal.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2015 6:25 pm    

Brian,
What Chris says is better but if you want to go cheap, search the "Fish and Chips" threads. A cheap pedal you can pick up for $25. RP

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2015 6:38 pm    

Ron Pruter wrote:
Brian,
What Chris says is better but if you want to go cheap, search the "Fish and Chips" threads. A cheap pedal you can pick up for $25. RP

That's what I am using.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2015 7:06 pm    

I love my Bradshaw pedal.
It doesn't sound like a Dobro with a mic on it, but it sounds more like a Dobro than a Dobro with a pickup in it.

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2015 7:25 pm    

Quote:
but it sounds more like a Dobro than a Dobro with a pickup in it.

I have a pickup in my dobro that I have used a few times to record direct and it fooled some pretty discerning ears. It's not a dead ringer for a miked up box, but it sounds surprisingly close. Closer I would say than any simulator box I have ever heard.

Not arguin', just sayin'....

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Tom Dehlinger

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2015 7:58 pm     that dobro sound

I have a MXR "Bradshaw" pedal that I purchased to enhance the magnetic pickup on one of my dobros. I'm now using a Fishman Jerry Douglas pedal for the dobro and so the MXR is sitting idle. It's in mint shape and for sale for a good bit less than a new one.

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2015 8:04 pm    

I used an acoustic guitar simulator in my Boss Gt001, but its pretty much just a mid boost. The MAIN thing that makes is sound really like a dobro is a "dead" bar. I use a piece of teflon rod, but you could use a piece of wood or something that kills the sustain. I'll bet you could get a good sound with a dead bar and a your tone controls.

Terry Niendorf

Boise, Idaho
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2015 8:50 pm    

I acquired a Match-Bro recently. Used it only a couple of times but I (and the band) think its a better sound than the Bo-Bro. Really pretty good. Here is a link for one that happens to be on E-bay right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281861798491

I have the one page "Settings" sheet I could e-mail to you. (Has Buddy E's signature on it.)

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2015 2:17 am    

The deader bar does help. I use a polished aluminum bar, the same one I use for getting the Mooney Fender sound.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2015 4:08 am    

Check this article by Greg Cutshaw. He details how to do it with an eq... and this will probably work with about any similar eq. I use the eq in my Zoom MS-50G.

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Dobro%20Simulator/Dobro%20Sim.html

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2015 5:21 am    

I have a Goodrich MatchBro. I've tried the graphic EQ and its nowhere close to the MatchBro. Same way with the BoBro and others.

The MatchBro and the special bar that comes with it is the best simulator on the market. You have to think "Dobro" when playing not just use it as another effect. I've fooled Bluegrass pickers with my MatchBro and have had people come up to the stage on a break looking for the Dobro.

Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2015 10:11 am    

Had a Match Bro - sold it, tried EQ, bagged it, use my dobro, love it Smile I'd opt for the MXR or the real deal..

And what Jack said about playing like a dobro, not only trying to sound like one.

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown

Last edited by Carl Mesrobian on 10 Dec 2015 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2015 10:23 am    

Somewhere in my box of stuff lies a"Finch&Chimps"pedal that works great for that Dobro sound! Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 10 Dec 2015 11:03 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
I have a Goodrich MatchBro. I've tried the graphic EQ and its nowhere close to the MatchBro. Same way with the BoBro and others.

The MatchBro and the special bar that comes with it is the best simulator on the market. You have to think "Dobro" when playing not just use it as another effect. I've fooled Bluegrass pickers with my MatchBro and have had people come up to the stage on a break looking for the Dobro.

I guess we all will continue to disagree forever. I had a Match-Bro and wanted something smaller than it, that would fit in my pak-a-seat. So I bought a Bo-Bro (which is just a BOSS 7 band Eq). I didn't notice any difference, so the Bo-Bro it was. Sold the Match-Bro. I took apart the Bo-Bro to see what the settings were. I got a Fish & Chips and set it up the same way. Compared it to the Bo-Bro, no difference. Sold the Bo-Bro. I just checked out Greg's site. He uses the same settings I use. Alternating the sliders full up full down. But I also have the 2nd slider at half way. Interesting that he also has the 2nd slider at half way. There's something about the frequency range that doesn't sound good with the slider full up. The Bo-Bro didn't allow adjusting. There are some gigs where I adjust this slider to make things sound better at certain gigs. Things like being stuffed in a corner right next to a wall, and other stage positions seem to affect that frequency range.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 10 Dec 2015 11:05 am    

I also ditched the plastic bar. Although it did make it sound a little better, the lack of any sustain killed it for me. Play a real dobro. The strings do sustain.

Dennis Mike

Wilson, New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2015 6:23 am    

I have a MatchBro, but found that it didn't play well with the other kids (i.e., BlackBox, distortion unit, delay box and compression). Maybe I had it in the wrong spot in the lineup.

Dennis

Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2015 7:58 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
I also ditched the plastic bar. Although it did make it sound a little better, the lack of any sustain killed it for me. Play a real dobro. The strings do sustain.

With all the time and money spent on effects to simulate a dobro, one could probably buy a cheap dobro and get the same sound - jus' sayin' -

https://www.google.com/search?q=dobro&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#tbm=shop&q=dobro&tbs=vw%3Ag%2Cmr%3A1%2Cp_ord%3Ap%2Cprice%3A1%2Cppr_min%3A150%2Cppr_max%3A250

If carrying another thing is the issue, sell all your stuff and take up ukulele or piccolo. I've done gigs with my pedal steel, banjo, electric guitar, 2 amps, pak a seat, music, all carted and set up myself - I don't see what the big deal is- If the bandleader wants you to do something, you have the option of saying "ok" , or dealing with the consequence of doing only what you want. If you are the bandleader you can argue with yourself Laughing

Yes, I use effects, but only minimal (fuzz or overdrive) , depending on the gig and venue

Merry Christmas!

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown

Dennis Wood

Savannah, TN USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2015 10:50 am    

I agree with Carl, I tried all kinds of electronic devices, then just gave up and bought a $300 Regal reso. It sounds like a real resonator guitar, and looks like a real resonator guitar. Actually sounds pretty good miced up with a s57 and i am NOT a bluegrass dobro picker. If I don't need it, i just leave it in the case.
DW

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 25 Dec 2015 11:11 am    

Those who choose real resonators... Do you play live gigs, especially loud one's? I've had 3 Tut Taylor dobros, one with a fishman pickup in it. Even with a Fishman Loudbox with all it's feedback control thingies, I couldn't get rid of the feedback on stage. Tried micing them too, same problems. Very large venues with a good sound system and monitors, real dobros can work well. So in live situations that an acoustic reso won't work, a simulator might be the only way to go.

Dennis Wood

Savannah, TN USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2015 12:21 pm    

I do play live, with 3 different bands and loud at times. Feedback is a problem with a real reso and i really dont have a good solution for that.I do have a Fishman pickup in mine that I use if it's really a loud gig. My rack system tubefex has the front input that overides the rear input. I just have to remember to change to my reso patch, which is set for zero volume, before I plug in.I don't play the reso but maybe on two or three songs. Dobro Sims do have a place on stage, but for tone I prefer the real reso.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2015 2:25 pm    

If you want to hit the halfway mark between a stomp box and a full body reso, try the Marrs Cat Can lap steel. Tiny onstage footprint, looks (obviously) like you're playing a different instrument, and has a pretty great amplified sound, no feedback. I have one I'm restoring that will be up for sale shortly.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2015 2:32 pm    

Complete Nashville pickup/Aura rig. No feedback. Can play at "stupid" volumes.

fwiw.

Those with Fishman pickups, old style or "Nashville" (Jerry Douglas).

h