The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho Bud Professional D-10 Marrs Conversion - $2000
Scott Hay

Portland, OR / Yucca Valley, CA USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2008 10:53 pm    

--- SOLD ---

Okay Gents, I'm selling my Marrs Conversion D-10 Sho Bud Professional. 8 Pedals, 7 Knees

I love this guitar, but in the end - I'm selling it because C6 isn't turning out to be something I can wrap my head around to my satisfaction - I'm going to "spare the air" and stick to E9 Smile

I got a great deal I feel at $2000 from another forum member who lived locally near me. Looking to pass the same deal on to another player for $2000 plus shipping. I get great rates on UPS through my business. It will be professionally packed and insured. I can accept credit cards too.

Things I like about the guitar:

- 7 Knee levers (has two LKL, and inside and outside so to speak), great for extensive E9 sets ups.
- Triple Raise / Triple lower
- Really beautiful color. It's a reddish tobacco brown. More brown than my other sho bud this color.
- Metal screen printed fret boards which I personally prefer on the Sho Buds to the plastic ones.
- Stays in tune great. I could leave it for weeks without tuning it.
- Bill Lawrence 710 on the E9 and Wallace re wrap on the C6th - I'll throw in the other wallace that was on the E9.
- Has 2 compensators on the E9 neck on the F# Strings, which is a really nice feature, makes for nicely compensated 6th chords with the A&B pedals
- Great mechanical consistency and amenities of a more modern guitar due to Marrs upgrade
- Marrs Music Support - I had a knee lever break when I was doing an adjustment - I called Duane (RIP) and Jeff Surrat at Marrs Music - they sent me a new lever FREE, even when I insisted on paying, and they both on multiple occasions gave me tons of good free advice of the phone to get the guitar set up the way i like.

Complete Scrutiny:

- Some decent sized finish chips / bar dings - most near the back of the C6th neck. This is a player guitar.

- The top of the fret board on the C6 neck - metal fret boards - the adhesive is loose and you can get your fingernail under them and pull up a bit. It's only something you notice if you look really close.

- Some of the finish on the front has some small "foggy" patches in it if you look close. I got a picture that puts it in it's worst light, you have to look close to see it.

- the strap on the case that holds the top in the upright position when open is broken so the case opens a complete 180 degrees instead of 90, got it?

- The RKR had a pull on it for the C6 neck, which when set up was really stiff. I took the change off that lever. I'm including the pieces I took off and would gladly put it back on for anyone who doesn't want to themselves.

- There's a good sized finish crack on the tail of the C6 neck. I never took off the end plate so I can't say 100% that it's not into the wood. It looks like a deep scratch.

- The guitar has what looks like a lift kit on it. However, I'm only 5ft 9" and it's comfortable to me, higher than my stock pro 1, but totally comfortable. My conclusion for the reason is the pull fingers on the Marrs conversion are significantly longer than the stock Sho Bud pull systems that I've seen. ON the E9 area of the under carriage, it's not noticeable - on the C6th neck, I had to adjust some of the fingers so they weren't hitting the tops of my thighs.

This would make a fantastic guitar for any player who wants a D10 for a great price or have the mechanical benefits of the Marrs conversion on a classic Bud. I see chat from some on the forum about the tone not being as good on the Marrs conversions. While I haven't heard any other Marrs Buds - I would totally disagree with this guitar. It's signed by Duanne, Jeff, and Lloyd Green. They must have liked it - there's a picture of this guitar on their site:

http://www.duanemarrs.com/Restoration.html

this picture labeled "Typical Under-neath of a double neck signed by Duane and Jeff" that's this guitar.

Email me with any questions, I'd be happy to answer anything anyone wants to know about the guitar. A bunch of pictures are located here, I tried to leave them big so they may take a bit to load

Thanks!

-----------

Here's the current set up:

E9 SET UP
w/ Bill Lawrence 710 pick up (I'll also send the Wallace Sho Bud re wrap I replaced that came in it when I bought it)

# note LKL2 LKL LKV Ped1 Ped2 Ped3 LKR RKL RKR
1 F# _______+G#_________________________________________
2 D# _______+E_______________________-D/C#_____
3 G# _______________________+A_____________________________
4 E ______________________________+F#_____-Eb__+F
5 B ____________-Bb__+C#________+C#______________________
6 G# ___-F#_________________+A_____________________________
7 F# ___________________________________+G#___________
8 E ________________________________________-Eb__+F
9 D ___________________________________-C#__________
10 B ___________-Bb__+C#_______________________________

C6 Set UP

# note LKR Ped4 Ped5 Ped6 Ped7 Ped8 RKL
1 G __________________________________________
2 E ___________________+F______________________________
3 C ________________________+D________-B_________
4 A _________+B_________ ___+B________________________
5 G __-F#_______-F#___________________________________
6 E ___________________-Eb_____________________________
7 C ______________________________+C#_________________
8 A _________+B_________________________________________
9 F _____________+F#______________-E__________________
10 C _____________+D______________-A__________________

Last edited by Scott Hay on 26 Feb 2012 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2008 11:04 pm    

Looks like a great deal! Very Happy

Billy Wilson

El Cerrito, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2008 11:46 pm    

Scott, could you give us a little info on the steel? Very Happy

Jeremy McCoy

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2008 12:45 am    

Dibs (hopefully). Email sent.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2008 6:24 am     Re: Sho Bud Professional D-10 Marrs Conversion - $2000

Scott Hay wrote:
- There's a good sized finish crack on the tail of the C6 neck. I never took off the end plate so I can't say 100% that it's not into the wood. It looks like a deep scratch. It's in this picture:

http://oneinchround.com/shobud/shobud-Pages/Image9.html

Can you insert a piece of paper in that "scratch"? If so then it is a crack. Let me know.

Scott Hay

Post  Posted 22 Feb 2008 7:38 am    

well well Tall Boy Billy - those wild wood flowers done made me ramble Smile Dave and Billy - two great Bay Area steelers - miss you guys.

This guitar is almost as good a deal as Dave gave me on my webb. Jeremy, sent you a message.

Scott Hay

Post  Posted 22 Feb 2008 7:39 am    

Bill - I'll try your paper trick as I'm curious myself and want to know - thanks for the tip.

Farris Currie

Ona, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2008 11:03 am    

man thats one pretty sho-bud

AND the PRICE IS RIGHT TOOOOOOOOOOO

to the top we go

farris

Scott Hay

Post  Posted 22 Feb 2008 11:41 am    

Sold boys, donation coming, thanks!

Billy Wilson

Post  Posted 23 Feb 2008 12:21 am    

Scotty, An election year has got to be a good time to be a button maker, eh?

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2008 5:43 am    

Here is another picture of this fine guitar, taken in Duane's shop right before they shipped to me:

Somewhere I have an 8X10 of this picture that Lloyd was gracious enough to autograph. He wrote "Enjoy this beauty." Smile

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Scott Hay

Post  Posted 23 Feb 2008 10:53 am    

billy - Last election Dick Cheney gave me a no bid contract to do the Bush 04 buttons, which is how I got the dough to buy the Bud. Without button makers - there would be no presidents Smile

Tommy - cool pic, that is a great guitar - I'll miss it. Didn't need 2 buds because my Pro 1 is a keeper.

Billy Wilson

Post  Posted 23 Feb 2008 11:35 am    

too funny!

Jeremy McCoy

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2008 1:28 am    

As the new owner of this fine steel, any good stories out there to share?

Daniel Neill

Ontario, Canada living in Newfoundland, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2015 8:05 am     Sho-Bud Professional Marrs/Surratt rebuild

Hey all,
I believe I now own this beauty and I'm looking to put together a history of the instrument.
I'm wondering if any of the previous owners have any stories about the instrument. They can be personal or technical. Memorable gigs, musical breakthroughs, quirks or even stories about how some of the knicks and dings got there.
It would be much appreciated!
DANIEL
Ethnomusicologist researching PSG makers and players--1958 Supro 6 string, Melelani 8 string, 1973 Sho-Bud Professional D-10 updated by Marrs and Surratt in 2003--Gretsch drums, Zildjian cymbals, Ludwig Bronze 6.5x14 snare, 1987 BMW R80RT