The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Would like your educated guess on % Handheld device users
Mike Headrick

South Pittsburg, TN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2015 3:58 am    

I'm wondering how many people in the steel guitar comunity use a desktop computer or especially a mouse. So, here's the question:

What would you guess the percentage of people on the forum with desktops is vs. people who use phones, pads, tablets, etc?

Your input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dieter Stoll

Germany
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2015 4:31 am    

I believe that for many forum users it's not an either-or decision, present company included. As the old saying from Bob's Country Bunker goes, "we got both kinds" Laughing I use whatever is handy.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2015 4:37 am    

Your guess is probably as good as mine on what everyone else does, but, speaking for myself, when I'm stationary, I use a stationary device (PC/mouse), and when I'm mobile, I use a mobile device, of which I own several.

Richard Keller

Deer Creek, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2015 7:27 am    

I use both but mostly my iPhone to view the forum.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2015 9:21 am    

Both a PC and an iPad. At my desk here at home, a PC. If I am in bed or on the couch watching TV, I use the iPad. I never use my phone to do internet stuff, unless I really need to.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2015 2:10 pm    

My cell doesn't work at home, so I have the proverbial DUMB PHONE that will only make phone calls. I can't see close up, so I like using a desktop or laptop.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Jim Priebe

Queensland, Australia - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2015 7:37 pm    

Mike
I was just wondering if your post was trying to glean some info re making suitable websites (to suit both computer and mobile devices) for all devices so I hope this doesn't go off topic for you.
I know it is probably best to make two sites so they auto select and optimise for both types of device BUT this also costs time and money to do. The www.steelguitardownunder.com site that I do was faced with this dilemna and being a totally voluntary venture I just opted to make the pages no wider than 1050 pixels - that way the pages work OK on most devices. I would certainly welcome any other advice on this.
Website designers love to make grandiose sites but for those who just want information rather than 'art' this is pretty pointless IMHO.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2015 3:40 am    

I used to make all the websites I did to 800 pixels wide...

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2015 6:59 am    

Jim Priebe wrote:
Website designers love to make grandiose sites but for those who just want information rather than 'art' this is pretty pointless IMHO.

No need to make "grandiose" sites, or double up work by creating two pages, to cover all screens and devices. Fluid design - or "responsive design" as they call the technique now - has and will always work over a wide enough range.

Ignore the decor and "fancy" details - I am a web designer/developer, and you'll see that this private site of mine uses the same, simple, layout and methods that I used 10-15 years ago...
http://gunlaug.com/contents/music/tsga-15.html
...and it covers every device with a screen and browser, from around 200px up to around 1500px (and beyond).

It is easier to tell a story and share information, when the content fits all screens, and the "how to do it" information is spread all over the internet.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2015 7:04 am    

BTW: for surfing I use "big screens" about 80% of the time, "tablet sized" devices about 15% of the time, and mobile phones maybe about 5% of the time.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2015 10:38 am    

Quote:
No need to make "grandiose" sites, or double up work by creating two pages, to cover all screens and devices. Fluid design - or "responsive design" as they call the technique now - has and will always work over a wide enough range.

So true. I also design web sites, but not professionally. My website works for the most part on different devices. It's getting easier and easier to make "fluid", or "responsive" sites. And with media queries, you can really nail down the size and orientation of the screen, and customize the site to work with many different sizes and types of display. Although, it is not necessary to target every individual device.

Brent Marklin

Evansville, IN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2015 2:28 pm    

According to this link, in 2015 there will be a billion tablet users.. not even counting smartphone users.

http://www.emarketer.com/Article/Tablet-Users-Surpass-1-Billion-Worldwide-2015/1011806

As the apps get more functional and powerful I cant imagine that mobile devices wont eventually become the dominant computer in homes. As for what device I use, it depends on what need to be accomplished. I don't want to hijack your thread, but I am curious as to how people specifically use their computers and mobile devices.

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2015 3:25 pm    

Mike, why not start a thread that includes a poll question? You could add several choices such as:

Laptop
iPad
iPhone
PC
Mac
Windows

add whatever choices that will get you to your goal.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2015 3:49 pm    

What blows my mind is the trend nowadays for mostly younger generations to migrate from TVs to mobile devices for EVERYTHING, including what historically was consumed via TV.

I embrace everything "mobile devices" are capable of - I'm an inveterate "gadget freak", albeit a 70 year-old one, and I look forward to everything technology brings us in the future.

But transitioning from my 55" high def TV screen to watch movies to my tiny little phone screen just ain't happening. Why? Why would anyone want to do that? But that's what I'm reading the "millenials" are trending toward. I find it bizarre, given the fact that they have other options available.

Brent Marklin

Evansville, IN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2015 7:59 pm    

Not to generalize too much but maybe it's that a lot of young'ns don't see media roles in a traditional way. That is.. a movie, for example, is not so much an "event" that requires a particular setup in the form of a big screen and a killer sound system. I guess the convenience of having the film, TV show or what-have-you right there in your hand to watch "on the go" is good enough for many. And it's almost understandable when you consider the sheer amount of media available through the various streaming services. That's a whole lot of sitting around if you plan on going on a binge. And with a decent set of headphones, a high resolution phone/tablet can be a pretty good experience.

No science here though, just me speculating.

That said, there will always be room for a big TV and surround sound at my house.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2015 6:53 am    

Brent Marklin wrote:
maybe it's that a lot of young'ns don't see media roles in a traditional way. That is.. a movie, for example, is not so much an "event" that requires a particular setup in the form of a big screen and a killer sound system. I guess the convenience of having the film, TV show or what-have-you right there in your hand to watch "on the go" is good enough for many.

Yes, that's what I've been reading. If that's what's happening, I don't understand the mentality. Choosing to "enjoy" a movie on a tiny phone screen, when nice big screen TVs are available doesn't compute for me. And the "on-the-go" thing doesn't either. When I'm watching a movie, I don't want to be distracted by external things going on all around me. I don't even want to hear my phone ring. It's the immersion that provides my enjoyment.

Brent Marklin

Evansville, IN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2015 6:55 pm    

I don't know if you have ever had the pleasure of watching a movie with someone while they are paying attention to their phone.

Them - "I'm listening"

Me - "you have to use your eyes"

Terry Niendorf

Boise, Idaho
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2015 11:25 am    

The IMAC and wireless mouse with to a good sound system works for me. Reason primarily is to get good sound on any audio/video, including Mike's great tracks and rhythm tracks. Also have an IMAC like Dell in my little studio for practice and recording. Iphone and Ipad about 5%.