The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuner Nightmare On Stage
Damien Odell

Springwood, New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2015 3:11 pm    

Well, last night my nightmare of the Peterson StroboFlip not working came true about 5 minutes before showtime.
I'd re-strung my SD12 Mullen before getting on a plane and flying interstate for these shows. We had virtually no band change-over time so we all rushed our gear on stage for sound check....I'm all set up,I go to tune up and nothing. Nothing.
The batteries in the tuner are brand new, the screen lights up as bright as day but there's no display.
I messed around with an iPhone tuner and got the 'E' strings to 440 and worked from there. I got through the gig ok but man it was a bad feeling.
Made me realise how much I rely on this thing, I need to get back to basics and tuning by ear in case this happens again...but that's hard on stage when people are setting up etc.
Maybe time to start taking two of everything to each show.

Hopefully my other nightmare about getting to a show with no pedal rods ever comes true...

Jeff Heard

Lopez Island, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2015 4:36 pm    

Those situations truly do suck.
But since you have a iPhone, you might consider the iStrobosoft app (a Peterson product). You can download individual "sweetened" tunings, including pedal steel tunings.
The pedal steel sweeteners are $14.99 as an in-app purchase, which isn't cheap, but it's a nice backup to have.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2015 10:51 pm    

damien, you'll do fine....you got through the gig under a stressful situation and pulled it off with your ears. good for you.
i can imagine there are alot of folks on here that couldn't have gotten it together without their
tuner.

Jim Priebe

Queensland, Australia - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2015 11:22 pm    

Damien
I have ditched all the expensive tuners and just use the 'Cleartune' app (free for Iphone or Android) for the main tuning and stops etc. through a Peterson adapter cable (you nearly always have your phone with you these days) and just a clip on Snark on vibration sensing (no noise probs) for the on stage checks.
I know all my "sweetening" hz/cents that work best for me and it's too noisy for me (my ears these days) to rely on ear tuning live. So there's always two options.
I enjoyed hearing you play, mate! the other week.

Damien Odell

Springwood, New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2015 2:40 am    

Thanks Jim, I almost called you cause we are in Queensland (Beaudesert). We are playing again tonight.
Damien

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2015 3:28 am    

Damien..I carry a Korg 'Pitchblack' tuner that I picked up on Craigslist for $30.00 as a backup for my Peterson. I first tuned my guitar to the presets programed into the Peterson, then hooked up the Korg and made a note of the light positions for the offsets. After a few uses and commiting these positions to memory, no longer have need of the chart.

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2015 1:31 pm    

While it's no Peterson, a Snark would do as a backup. Small and light, clipped to a back leg it works in high noise situations.

Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2015 4:31 pm    

Another one here using the clear tune app via a cable to guitar , no problem . I think your idea of a backup is good . If anything can go wrong you can bet that one day it will .

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2015 2:16 pm    

I love my Peterson.

But I always have one of those cheap chromatic tuners with a needle type display in my seat. It's smaller than a pack of cigarettes. I think it cost me about $25.00. Never had to use it YET.

My old Peterson stays in my seat at the rehearsal space. It's becoming unreliable and the display craps out. I clean the circuit board with alcohol occasionally but I guess it tends to oxidize over time.

A tuner is just one of the many spare things I take to a gig.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields