| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A New Pedal Change, Trick or Treat?
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2014 2:21 pm    

Jim Robbins wrote:
If anyone is paying attention to nerdy stuff (ahem, I believe the proper spelling is with an "e", not to be nerdy about it) it's pedal steel players.

The modern spelling with "e" has always looked wrong to me and I refuse to use it. Kids nowadays!
Jim Priebe

Queensland, Australia - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2014 3:20 pm    

Yup! it's a treat. I have used the "minor" lever (1/2 drops the 3rds) for many years (on LKR) - also great for adding the A pedal to get a m6/9. I also use pedal 5 to 1/2 drop the 5ths so in conjunction with the lever I get a diminished easily - handy to quickly get a passing chord.
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2014 7:08 pm    

b0b wrote:
For those who don't know Randy, I just want to point out that he is a master of jazz on the E9th. I've never heard anyone else pull so many rich jazz chords out of the copedent. In my mind, his recommendation of this new lever is carries a lot of weight.

Thanks for bringing this new idea Idea to the forum, Randy.

You ain't kiddin', b0b! Randy is scary good on E9. I was, uh, fortunate enough, to get to play guitar behind Randy (Great classical guitarist, too), and watch him closely. He has ten fingers, two feet, and too many good ideas. Back when I was playing, there were only two guys who really made me nervous about my ability as a guitar player. Doug Jernigan (he wasn't taking chances. He brought Gary Marks) and Randy Beavers. Randy and Russ Hicks were going at it pretty good. Wayne Smith was bustin' the bass, and I don't remember if Jerry Reece or Hit-Man Hartley was hittin' the drums (Both of 'em good drummers)
Randy called "C# blues." I said, "Why, Randy?" (Curious nature) And Randy says, "sounds better than Db blues." OOO, KAAY, Randy. You want cute, I got cute. I kicked my O/D pedal, and--we were not playing a 12-bar, I-IV-V blues. Hicks fell over (Y'all know how he is), Wayne was laughing, and I ain't hit the right note yet.

I thrive on public humiliation.
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2014 5:07 am     what's this?

I've been reading through this topic and it has been interesting. I was thinking about this 6 & 9 change recently but hadn't added the 9th string with the 6th string. While not trying get off topic to much, I've been using a C6th type voicing on E9th. I've often wondered what this position is, so here it goes. I only lower my #6 G# to a G. Strings 6, 8 & 10 are used. Lowering the 10th string B to Bb, 8th string E note is used and then the G# to A note is used via the 2nd pedal. Backing up a whole step( or 2 frets ) or going from a 1 to 5 chord. I played C6th a number of years and that helps out when looking for C6th on the E9th. But anyway, I'm curious as to what the chord I explained is actually called. I can hear a steel in a song and can play it most of the time. The info about different chords, I can't usually tell what notes make up certain chords. I like to use the 3 & 4 set up because it forces me to find different ways to play things. Thanks for an answer.
Gary Peaslee

Granbury, TX USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2014 9:47 pm    

Hey Randy - you revealed most of your current setup in this thread but not all of it. Would you mind posting your complete current E9 setup? Also are you still splitting string 10 with the A pedal? If so, can you post a couple of cool things you can do with that split? Thanks, Randy.
FRANK MARIANO

PENSACOLA FL
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 2:17 pm     That 9th string and 6 string lower lever or pedal

I'm thinking of putting this change on pedal 0 (Franklin). Any advice on which string to do first so I get the right travel and tension?
Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2015 9:07 pm    

Just found this thread about the minor7flat5 pedal by Randy Beavers. He's such a great E9 jazz player with rich chord work. I don't really have a way to get that change on my guitar because it gets in the way of other changes. I do have the 5th string B to C change on pedal 3 in place of the standard 4th and 5th strings up a half step(my LKR raises the 4th a step and I use this with pedal 1 to get the normal 3rd pedal change). So, an option for me as I thought about this is to use my pedals 2 and 3 using strings 7, 6, 5 and 4 to get an F#7flat5 in the open postion.

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 6:20 am    

I thought I'd revive this thread I started this time last year. Have any of you tried it, and what have you come up with? I'm still finding new things with this change.

For the ones who like to hear the tuning "sweetened", like me, I tune the 9th string lower different with this pedal than when I lower it along with the 2nd string. On this pedal I tune it against the 7th string, where as on the other I tune it against the 6th. For years I've stayed away from the 7th string when I had the 9th lowered because it was flat to that combination.

Try this combination with this lever, play strings 9, 7, 5, 4, and 3 raised. All stacked 4th intervals. For the players that use quartal harmony chords it's in tune like this. Then you can lower the 4th string, or play the 3rd string not raised to get the major 7th on top depending on your position. There's more than one deffinition for this approach. It's also just a 6/9 chord with various lead notes on top. Bottom line, it's very useful!
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 10:21 am    

Randy , with a full set of 4 pedals & 5 levers where would I put this change to try it out

E changes are on my Right knee

LKL raise 1 -2 AND 7
lkl lowers 2 & 9
lkv lowers 5 & 10
Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2015 2:35 am    

Bo, it's hard to say what to give up. If it were me I'd put it where you are raising 1, 2, and 7. However that may be something you're not willing to part with.
Dale Rottacker

Tacoma Washington, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2019 11:39 am    

This is a great post and a change I’m trying to figure out where exactly to put... Randy, you have this on RKL, which is where I’m lowering my E’s... I’m guessing I could leave me E’s lowered on RKL and put your change on LKR and have the same thing you have?... If you use it with E’s lowered B’s lowered which I do on my 0 pedal, and with the A pedal?.... Unless I’m missing something?
*2014? #1 Prototype Rittenberry Prestige 9x8
*2018 Purple/Black MSA S-10 Legend XL Signature 5x7
*2016 Red/Black MSA D-10 Legend XL Signature 9x6
*1990 Jim Lindsey Special, Quad Original Bill Lawrence 705 PUP’s, 8x8 Gary Hogue Clone
*Black n Gray, Mullen D-10 8x7/ *Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6/ *Black Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x4
*Sho-Bud Maverick 3x1/ *Fender 400
https://msapedalsteels.com