The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  making a pine cab
Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2015 1:39 pm    

Lookin for tips on the best design/dimensions for 12' or 15". I assume clear pine? I suppose the sides, top and bottom would be from one piece wide boards.What about the baffle? Pine too? What about board thickness. Anyone remember or still use those Marrs cabs-- very lightweight with relatively thin boards resulting in a very resonant cab in a good way as I recollect. I've got a couple, havent used them yet but getting ready to soon. What about planing pine down to a similar thickness?

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2015 8:50 am    

I can't say if it's the "best" design, but I recently made one for a 15" BW. I used a 1x12 pine board. Since the speaker came out of my Session 400 cabinet, I used that as a template and just trimmed it down a little.

The box measures 19" square, and the angle of the front is roughly the same as the Session. So the bottom is 10.5" deep and the top is 9.5" giving it a 1" tilt. The baffle is 3/4" plywood glued in place as well as well as screwed to some cleats inside. The grill is just a light frame made with 3/4" pine strips and held in place with velcro tabs.

I left the box open-backed because that's how the Session is. The back is made of 5/16" plywood I had kicking around, and I lined the back with some foam padding. I bought a handle, corner protectors and feet. The corners aren't installed yet because I'm still thinking of covering it with black Tolex. The original idea was to make it match the Session as closely as I could, but I kind of like the plain wood look.

Including the speaker, it weighs 26 lbs.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2015 1:54 pm    

The cabinet I built for my Eminence EPS-15C is the same dimensions as a Nashville 112 except 1" taller. I made it those dimensions so the Danny Bentley Nashville 112 hard amp cover would work for this speaker.

Its made from 1X12" pine boards (good grade, not the cheap stuff) and covered with Tweed Tolex. The speaker baffle is 1/2" plywood and same with the back pieces.

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2015 6:48 pm    

I used the Marrs cabs for years and really like the sound. I had Rick Johnson build me a pine cab and put a neo 12" in it. The end result is a GREAT sounding cab that's still pretty light weight. It looks amazing! Fine quality cab at a great price.

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2015 9:10 am    

Nice work Jack, especially the tweed tolex. Looks like similar dimensions to the one I made. Is it open backed?

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2015 10:34 am    

At the moment I'm thinking of experimenting (when I get around to it Rolling Eyes ) a cab combining the Marrs idea using thinner boards but with pine, maybe 1/2" or just under. Most Pine cabs seem to be 3/4". Also curious to try a closed back with a bass port along the bottom front. Thats nothing new but has anyone tried that for a steel guitar cab?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2015 12:14 pm    

Tommy, it is partial open back. It has about the same amount of open back as a Nashville 112.

Weight is 23lbs, cabinet and Eminence EPS-15C speaker.

Here is a picture of the speaker with the Carvin BX500 amp on top. This was taken at the recent Heartland Steel Guitar Association Steel Show in Harrisonville, Mo (Zum territory LOL)