The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuner Tip
Jim Landers

Spokane, Wash.
Post  Posted 19 May 2001 7:23 pm    

I just got a 1935 Rick Bakelite (not the same one I was bragging about a couple of weeks ago) that is in nice shape except, a couple of the tuners were so stiff I was afraid I would snap them off if I tried to tune the guitar. I took them off the guitar and cleaned them up as good as I could but they were still not turning freely. I have an aerosol spray that I had picked up at Radio Shack for cleaning control pots, so I thought I would give that a try. After giving the tuners a couple of shots of this stuff they immeadiately loosened up and now work as good as new.

In the past I have used WD-40 and various other kinds of penetrating oil for this task with mixed results. They always help, but none of them have done near as good a job as this electronic cleaner. You got sticky or stiff tuners? Give it a try.

Also while I've got your attention, do you have any suggestions for cleaning and polishing Bakelite? Something that would bring back the original sheen? I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

Jim

Greg Simmons

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
Post  Posted 20 May 2001 9:23 am    

Jim;

I've got a "patent pending" (i.e. August 1937 or earlier)six string bakelite and I've found that Mother's Aluminum Polish does a fine job. Picked up a jar at Wal-Mart.

------------------
Greg Simmons
Custodian of the Official Sho~Bud Pedal Steel Guitar Website
shobud.cjb.net

[This message was edited by Greg Simmons on 20 May 2001 at 10:25 AM.]

John Hanusch

Benson, AZ USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2001 11:56 am    

Jim... Maybe the tuner cleaner had enough force & solvency(?) to blow out the restriction?? Anyway, for the bakelite, I've successfully used a mounted buffing/polishing wheel with a plastic polishing compond, but unless you've done that kind of polishing before, practice/learn on a scratched up old pot handle or such (which,btw, I've used to make replacement nuts & bridges for Ricky's). It does take a little finesse, working in various directions & with right pressure so you don't overheat/erode the piece. Good luck!!

Jim Landers

Spokane, Wash.
Post  Posted 20 May 2001 7:42 pm    

Thanks Greg and John. The finnish on this guitar is in very good shape, no nicks, scratches, etc., the only problem is it is very dull. It looks like it has'nt been cleaned in 50 years, kind of like the paint on a car that has'nt been waxed for a long time.

I think I'll try Greg's suggestion first, it sounds like that might take care of it. If it does'nt then I'll give the buffing wheel a shot at it. Thanks again for the input.

Jim