The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cube vs Vox vs Mustang vs Vyper...Opinions for pedal steel?
James Holland

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2015 4:05 am    

I saw a recent thread on the Fender Mustang modelling amps and a few mentions of other modelling amps, and wondered if someone has compared all the competitors in this range like the Roland Cube 80XL/GX, Vox VT80, Fender Mustang III, and Peavey Vyper for pedal steel applications?

James Holland

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2015 10:46 am    

245 views, but no replies. I see Mustangs in the stores, but they are too complicated to figure out in the store. The Vyper and Valvetronix are on CL occasionally, so maybe one or two will follow me home.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2015 2:01 pm    

James, I have seen many posts here about the cube 80. Forum member Damir Besic posted about the Mustang not sure which model. I doubt you will like the speaker on any of these models. YMMV. Good luck.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2015 11:42 am    

We have multiple discussions on the Roland Cube 80/80X/80XL/etc., all of which appear to be well thought of as steel guitar amps.

I don't know of anyone who has done a side by side comparison of the Roland, Vox, Fender and Peavey amps.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2015 11:54 am    

Can't speak to the rest, but I think the Mustang is fine for steel guitar. I don't think steel players will find any of the pre-set patches usable and there is a bit of a learning curve to programming your own patches, so you have to be at least a little technically inclined. It's certainly not rocket science - no more so than a digital camera or a cell phone.

I bought my Mustang III dirt cheap on Craigslist, figuring I could easily sell it if I didn't like it, which is what I fully expected. I ended up keeping it and using it on 90% of my gigs for the last two years. I love my vintage tube amps but the Mustang is just so darn convenient to grab and go and it sounds just fine!