Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Big E...
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2015 11:40 am    

i think you might be able to do this:
find a post of buddy's
click on his 'profile'
click on 'all posts by' ..i think...maybe?

Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2015 12:41 pm    

thank you Chris - I did as you suggested and that revealed a mother lode of great posts by Buddy Emmons. To someone who has been on the forum for only 5 years, that is very, very special to read his original posts (thanks b0b!).
I still think it would be great to have them archived and available for easier retrieval just as an homage to the Big E.

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2015 2:55 pm    

He may be gone from the pedal steel guitar community here on planet earth but his music, his talent and his smile will live on forever, he's the Icon of Icons in the steel guitar world.

KEN

Alex Wilcox

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2015 5:40 pm     Jerry Lee Lewis song wrote by Buddy

Just found this on YouTube. Great song "Thirteen at the Table" written by Mr. Emmons.

Check it out:
http://youtu.be/Bi4p1E0a51I

2015 GFI Ultra Keyless SD-10
2008 Fender Sonoran S
2007 Taylor Big Baby(With LR Baggs Element System)

Fender Vibro Champ XD

Jim Means

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2015 6:13 pm    

I have spent several days trying to figure out what to say. Actually, there really isn't anything left to say that everyone that has posted before me hasn't said much more eloquently than I possibly could.

I don't remember the year, there were so many, in St. Louis that Buddy was playing his usual brilliant set. I was standing on the left side of the auditorium in front of one of the vendors tables. A man was standing beside me and after Buddy was finished with the song he was playing the gentlemen turned to me and said, "The man is absolutely incredible", and turned and walked away. I could not have agreed more. As he walked away I realized he was none other than the incredible player himself, Bobby Black. I thought to myself, what chance have I got to ever learn this instrument? I don't have that kind of time left.

Goodbye Sir. You were an incredible gift to us and I cherish all the times I got to see you play and even to speak with you a few times.

Jim in Missouri

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2015 7:16 pm    

I posted this earlier on Facebook but thought i would re-post it here..

Being the son of a great steel player, I can't ever remember not knowing about Buddy Emmons.. I'll never forget my Dad hearing Night Life for the first time or Buddy's jazz album! Of course that was my first time to hear those songs also at 8 or 9 years old.. I started playing guitar at 9 and was in my first band at 11 but it wasn't until I was 16 that I started playing steel.. One of the first solos I worked up was Someday Soon.. After my Dad, Buddy would have to be my second musical Father..
I met Buddy in the early 80s when I along with my brother-in-law Lloyd Maines, brought he and Scotty to Lubbock for one of the concerts he was doing at the time.. My Dad and I picked them up from the airport to take them to the venue for sound check and rehearsal... Buddy was very quiet and almost unfriendly on the drive to rehearsal so I was feeling a little let down.. I had worked hard with hand picking and rehearsing the band so he would have a good experience.. Once at the venue I unloaded his guitar and helped him get setup.. At the time he was using a Korg Guitar synth and many other effects so it took awhile.. The band was already setup so they did a couple of songs. After the second song Buddy grinning ear to ear said, we're going to have fun tonight... It was like a light switch, he was really a nice guy and a blast to be around.. At that point I realized he was just a little worried about the band situation and that was why he was so quiet on the way to the venue.. He and Scotty did a great two hour seminar and I took them to the hotel.. That night Buddy did an incredible concert and after the first song congratulated the band for their hard work.. After the concert I took them to the hotel and unloaded his rig at my house for the night.. I remember thinking that it was a great privilege to have his steel in my house.. The next morning on the way back to the airport we had breakfast and had a really great visit and he gave me one of his Derby Power belt buckles. It was a great experience in my musical life to spend this time with the master.. I learned a lot by just being around him.. One was to just have fun and enjoy playing.. And even though he didn't really make any mistakes while playing, he would push himself into a corner every now and then. When he did this he wouldn't get mad he would just laugh at himself and keep going... There will never be another Buddy Emmons. Thank you for sharing your life and your music with us all!

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2015 12:23 am    

Here's the whole thing, amended...

Buddy Gene Emmons passed away on July 21, 2015 of an apparent heart attack. He was 78.

He is preceded in death by his wife, Peggy. He is survived by three children, Buddie Gene II, Larry and Tami. Two granddaughters Crystal and Brittany, and two grandsons, Levon and Buddie III.

No funeral or memorial is planned. He'll be cremated and his ashes will be will be strewn where Peggy's ashes are, thus reuniting them for eternity.

Jan 27, 1937 - Jul 21, 2015
Rest in peace, Maestro...

www.BuddyEmmons.com

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2015 12:26 am    

BTW: I'm 99% sure it wasn't Buddy Emmons who wrote the tune. I'm guessing Bobby Emmons. The record probably said it was written by "B. Emmons."

www.BuddyEmmons.com

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2015 1:57 am    

Thanks Ernie for the info. Many players do not post info about their families. I was not aware Buddy had three children nor was I aware of the grandchildren. I do remember they had a granddaughter killed in an tragic automobile accident a few years ago. That being said we are at a loss for words and heartbroken at his passing. I want to remember and pray for his family that is left behind. Thanks Ernie for posting this info.

Lord Kare Myrberg

Sweden
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2015 1:05 pm     So sad to get the news!

At S:t Louis 1995.
[/img]

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2015 8:31 pm    

Ray Jenkins wrote:
Big E,Hal Rugg ,Weldon Myrick, Jimmy Day, Jimmy Crawford Jeff Newman Buddy Charlton,Tom Brumley ,John Hughey.The beautiful sounds of the Heavenly Steel Guitars!!!!!

they gonna have a hell of a convention up there this year, looks like it, better then we down here... Smile

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2015 8:53 am    

Yep, most of the guys who created the different styles that we all learned from back in the day, are now gone. I think Lloyd Green is the only one left.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2015 9:50 am    

Damir Besic wrote:
Ray Jenkins wrote:
Big E,Hal Rugg ,Weldon Myrick, Jimmy Day, Jimmy Crawford Jeff Newman Buddy Charlton,Tom Brumley ,John Hughey.The beautiful sounds of the Heavenly Steel Guitars!!!!!

they gonna have a hell of a convention up there this year, looks like it, better then we down here... :)

Don't forget Jerry Byrd, Speedy West, Little Roy Wiggins, Alvino Ray, and Bob White. All these guys were in St. Louis the first year that I went.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 5 Aug 2015 1:14 pm    

Fred Rogan wrote:
Two questions:
When and where was Buddy Emmons last public performance?
Would it be possible(b0b)to perhaps set up on this forum a "best of" Buddy Emmons posts for everyone but especially those of us who were not around when he was actively posting?
Thanks and RIP Mr. Buddy Emmons.

This is a question that I would also like to know the answer to. Someone told me that it was at the 2006 convention when he played for Laney Hicks in the "Nameless Shuffle" concert. That may be incorrect info. Anyone know for sure?

Jim Park

Carson City, Nv
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2015 2:02 pm     Buddy's last public performance

I saw him play at the 2007 ISGC, which was also John Hughey's last ISGC. I believe Peggy Emmons died in Dec 2007

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 5 Aug 2015 2:35 pm    

Well that shoots what I was told to hell. Thanks. I have to quit listening to this guy. He has informed me of wrong stuff too often.

Dale Gray

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2015 3:36 pm     Not only,

Not only was he the man, but what other football, baseball rock star, etc. would pose side by side with their fans? I will always cherish my pic. with him at Grapevine Tx. What a true gentleman.Dale.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2015 3:52 pm    

Dale I have always said that we steel guitar players were blessed in that way. I never met a famous player that didn't have time to talk or take a picture. Free of charge no less. Get that from a famous athlete.

Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2015 4:50 pm    

It was at the 2006 ISGC where Laney Hicks joined Buddy Emmons to do the combination instrumental/singing of "The Nameless Shuffle"--I was there and I was also at the 2007 ISGC which was Buddy's last appearance at the convention. I got goose-bumps, hair standing-up on my neck, etc., watching Buddy play, as at other times I saw him in person.

If you go to YOUTUBE, put in BUDDY EMMONS, the LANEY HICKS & BUDDY EMMONS segment is the 6th one down. The large banner on the back of the stage shows the year 2006. I've watched it several times in the last few days and I tear-up each time.

Buddy Emmons was my hero--He was the greatest!

Michael Dulin

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2015 5:36 am     buddy emmons

Buddy Emmons-Steel Guitar

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 8 Aug 2015 9:32 am    

Butch Pytko wrote:
It was at the 2006 ISGC where Laney Hicks joined Buddy Emmons to do the combination instrumental/singing of "The Nameless Shuffle"--I was there and I was also at the 2007 ISGC which was Buddy's last appearance at the convention. I got goose-bumps, hair standing-up on my neck, etc., watching Buddy play, as at other times I saw him in person.

If you go to YOUTUBE, put in BUDDY EMMONS, the LANEY HICKS & BUDDY EMMONS segment is the 6th one down. The large banner on the back of the stage shows the year 2006. I've watched it several times in the last few days and I tear-up each time.

Buddy Emmons was my hero--He was the greatest!

I have the whole concert. Incredible. Hurts to watch now. Both of my favorite players gone. John Hughey and now Buddy.

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2015 10:03 am     Our Own and THE VERY BEST!

Thanks for everything Buddy...your infinite inspiration remains...maybe we'll get to meet up again down the trail.
A thankful hacker and fan...Carl

Earl Hensley

Las Vegas Nv.USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2015 10:52 am     Buddy, Joe Wright and Me at NAMM in Nashville

Epiphone Les Paul, potato-bug mandolin

Jay Keuper

New York, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2015 3:12 am    

Not a player, just big fan. Stiil, wanted to get on line to pay my respects. Very sad news indeed.

Tom Whitworth

Ridgecrest, California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2015 9:55 am    

RIP big guy. We will miss you, players and non-players alike.

Can you imagine the band he can put together now?! I guess it's up to Franklin to keep the train rollin' here.
OME 5 string,
LATEST ADD : Line 6 Helix