The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Big E...
Don McClellan

California/Thailand
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2015 2:07 pm    

From what I understand Buddy's recording of Four Wheel Drive (as a teenager) gave him the reputation of being the hottest steel player around at that time and he kept a firm grip on that title for the rest of his life. Unbelievable. What a body of work and what a success story. RIP Buddy Emmons. His name will be spoken everyday the world over for a long, long time. Don

Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2015 6:57 pm    

Brent Rowan: "Buddy, do you think one day I'll mean to guitar what you mean to steel?"

E: (laughs) "Phuck, no." Walks away.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/

Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2015 10:27 pm    

The news of Buddy's passing hit me pretty hard. He was a huge inspiration for me. I saw him play a number of times in the '70s and '80s, and I even got to play a show with him once, when Harry Guffee asked the band I was in to back up Buddy for a concert (thanks Harry, I'll always be grateful). Talk about being nervous! But he was gracious and nice to me and the other guys in the band, and fun to be around.

Although I didn't really know him, I've always felt a kind of connection to him simply because his playing came out from his heart and went into mine. Even across decades, from those old records. And although I'm very sad now, I'm grateful for that link, and thankful that it can continue.

And like so many others have already said, I'm grateful for the incredible gifts he brought to the steel guitar world during his life. Playing that set standards for creativity, technique and expressiveness; innovations in copedants and guitar technology; pioneering of musical genres new to steel... and the unbridled joy he radiated while performing. An amazing legacy.

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2015 10:46 pm    

I want to go to Steel Guitar Heaven...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8YZ_wArLAk
Buddy will be there.

Chet Wilcox

Illinois, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 5:54 am    

God has blessed our generation and many more to come with BUDDY EMMONS,he will always be missed and loved,he gave us so much to remember him for,.I am so glad to have lived in his generation,and blessed with all the great singers and steel players,Buddy was the best,The world of music as we know it has changed,but he is in the enclopedia books and his playing will live forever.GOD BLESS YOU BUDDY EMMONS..Chet Wilcox

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 6:42 am    

Buddy and Peggy- "Together Again"......

Skeeter Stultz

LOMITA, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 3:53 pm    

I first read of this on my wife's new phone. I said NO! it can't be. I went straight to my computer and sent an Email to Rudy Osborne saying "Please, tell me it isn't true". I hit send and then just starred at the computer and sobbed uncontrollably.

Mark Greenway

Lake Kiowa, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 7:13 pm    

RIP

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 9:01 pm    

Buddy Gene Emmons passed away on July 21, 2015 of an apparent heart attack. He was 78. He is preceded in death by his wife, Peggy. No funeral or memorial is planned. He'll be cremated and his ashes will be will be strewn where Peggy's ashes are, thus reuniting them for eternity.
Jan 27, 1937 - Jul 21, 2015
Rest in peace, Maestro...

www.BuddyEmmons.com

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2015 3:15 am    

Thank you for some closure, Ernie. And the nice picture.

James Leaman

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2015 4:04 am    

A couple days ago I was pleased to see a headline on MSN. com about Buddy's passing. In the article it said he was referred to as Big E because of his height!?! We all know that he was a giant, and where the nickname came from, and it certainly wasn't because he was especially tall!

JERRY THURMOND

sullivan mo u.s.a.
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2015 5:32 am    

I was pretty proud of my local Radio station KTUI Sullivan Mo. They talked about Buddy an they called him the God Father of Pedal Steel Guitar, then they played a song of Buddy's.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2015 9:21 am    

Ernie Renn wrote:
Buddy Gene Emmons passed away on July 21, 2015 of an apparent heart attack. He was 78. He is preceded in death by his wife, Peggy. No funeral or memorial is planned. He'll be cremated and his ashes will be will be strewn where Peggy's ashes are, thus reuniting them for eternity.
Jan 27, 1937 - Jul 21, 2015
Rest in peace, Maestro...

What a great picture, and above all, a great love story.

Bob Poole

Myrtle Beach SC, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2015 9:38 am     Buddy

Thanks Ernie,& yes,great picture.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2015 9:40 am    

I was really hoping and expecting Buddy would stick around awhile longer. This is very hard news.

There really aren't words to describe Buddy's talent, influence, and imagination. There never existed a finer musician or human being, and there is no one who defines their instrument more than he. Buddy Emmons IS steel guitar.

I will cherish meeting him in St. Louis in 2003. I was young and quite annoying I'm sure, and he couldn't have been kinder or more patient with me and my praise and queries. Here was the world's greatest player and innovator, surrounded by thousands of steel players and enthusiasts from around the globe, and he made the time to engage with me and make me feel like I mattered to him.

There was a time when Buddy was very involved here on the forum as well, and he always took the time to answer some of the most trivial and mundane questions from the likes of me. His posts were always so intelligent and witty.

His mind never stopped working, but his hands did begin to fail him and he was very open about his arthritis here on the forum. For someone who played and held himself to the highest standard possible, it clearly affected his desire to play in public. When his beloved Peggy passed away, she seemed to take at least some of Buddy with her... he was clearly not the same without her.

I believe completely that while we mourn Buddy's passing, he is celebrating a magnificent homecoming and reunion on the other side. Let us also celebrate this most remarkable of lives by simply playing our favorite Buddy Emmons music as often as the spirit moves us. There is certainly a lot of it to choose from and that is Buddy's undying gift to mankind and the world.

He used to practice in the dark... now he plays in the light. All hail THE BIG E.

Joe Fortune

2900 Ontario Dr Springfield, Il 62707
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2015 9:58 am     Buddy

THE KING IS DEAD, LONG LIVE THE KING.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2015 10:23 am    

Hey Ernie,,,thank you so much for those details,,,,the human mind can deal with the "known",,,it's the unknown that we have difficulty with. Some of the accounts stated he passed on the 28th,,,guess that was when it became known? There had not been a mention of the cause of death,,,or survivors,,,or arrangements.

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2015 10:46 am    

It wasn't made known because all the family members couldn't be reached right away. Buddy didn't have a list of contacts to call in case of an emergency.

He was found on the 21st.

I would've listed survivors, but I also couldn't reach them all and I didn't want to omit one from the list. So I omitted them all.

A few news services contacted me for information, but I was still trying to get in touch with the family for confirmation, as well. So, I was unable to give them dates. I have since relayed the information to them.

www.BuddyEmmons.com

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2015 4:17 pm    

Hi Ernie:

Thanks for the update on Buddy. Do you have any thoughts on Buddy's website and the prospect of keeping it open and active? It would be a nice tribute to see it continue on and maybe continue to carry his courses, CDs, tab, etc. Or maybe it could become a leg of the Forum (Buddy's Page) where all matter of Buddy Emmons' courses, music and memorabilia could be listed for sale there.

Just wondering. I know I was all the more saddened when Mike Auldridge's website suddenly vanished. It made Mike's loss all the more difficult.

Thank you again Ernie.

-John

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2015 4:45 pm    

Buddy on his MCI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve_GG6q7Y_g

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2015 7:48 pm     The Big E

Buddy was not only the best that has ever been, he was also the best there will ever be. The two times I attended Scotty's convention, Buddy was playing. The whole convention came to a stand still when Buddy was playing. He changed the way we all play. Such great taste. He might only play 3 notes in a fill, but they were always the exact 3 notes that the song called for.
A true musical genius. We all should be so thankful that Buddy decided on the pedal steel as his life's work. I am sure he would have been just as influential with any other instrument that he might have chosen.

RIP Buddy and thanks for showing us all how a steel should sound.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2015 8:35 pm     Man! That Buddy Emmons!

While playing my Emmons LGII at an outdoor gig Sat. night on a perfect evening,(NO WIND) on the Oklahoma plains, I couldn't help but think of what would Buddy play on this song or that song. Obviously, it would've been what fit that particular song. But it seriously made me think, concentrate, and try my very best to play what I thought fit the songs. Buddy's Talent is The Universe, and mine is a microscopic molecule, but I'm gonna keep on pickin' till The Lord Jesus calls me home....Bless Your Soul, Buddy Emmons!!!!!!

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2015 5:26 am    

Buddy may have left us physically, but he will live on through the fingers of every steel guitar player now and to come. As we all study just how the Great One did it, we will tend to replicate him.

Long live the memory of The Greatest, Buddy Emmons!

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Ronald Cid

Contrecoeur, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2015 5:45 am    

Thanks to Ernie Renn and Junior Knight for this starting this post

I have created a Facebook tribute site for the Big E.......although Buddy never visited the site, his best friend Ron Elliott was a constant participate, and he would relate the sites news to the Big E. Many thanks to my best buddy Ron Elliott

Recent contributors have been Johnny Cox and Rusty Young. There is also an exclusive video of the master playing SS.Cool at the top of the page

Here is a link to the Facebook site https://www.facebook.com/groups/169475748633/

I guess at this point I should relate my Buddy Emmons story......It was the in the 70's and Buddy was touring with J.J. Cale. I have to admit that I saw the advertisement in the Montreal Gazette and although I was aware of J.J. Cale...my reason for going to the concert was purely to see the Big E. The concert was held in a church in Montreal and when I arrived at the door, the Security guard was telling all that the concert was cancelled that night. I observed that behind the guard that there were musicians on the stage, and I saw Buddy. I quickly removed my Musician union card and told the security guard that I was here to meet with the musicians. He let me in.....I walked down the main aisle and could see the Big E talking with the other musicians......I approached slowly and called out his name.....I remember he was very polite and I just froze....I asked the Big E if I could look at his Pedal steel...It was an Emmons ...I think it was Brown Bart...so many knee levers....I was on my knees just looking at this magnificent instrument.....Buddy left me alone and returned to his fellow co-players. I got up and didn't know what to say....I had met my musical hero and I was stumped as what to say. I thanked Buddy and I left. The concert was postponed until the next night...and of course I was there. I was in the third row just right of the stage.....I think my wife was embarrassed as when there was a Buddy solo, I would stand up and applaud each solo....it wasn't long before everyone in the crowd started to to applaud each solo. I,m glad to have at least met the master....even though it was a fleeting moment. The concert was fantastic...JJ Cale was superb with his Harmony guitar and of course The Big E was fantastic. Long live the Big E

RC

Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2015 8:11 am    

Two questions:
When and where was Buddy Emmons last public performance?
Would it be possible(b0b)to perhaps set up on this forum a "best of" Buddy Emmons posts for everyone but especially those of us who were not around when he was actively posting?
Thanks and RIP Mr. Buddy Emmons.